TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Dave_LF »

Well; if she's willing to travel back in time 10 years, my advice is to get a Toshiba HD-ready CRT, because it will last for 10 years.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't know about 4K, but I am guessing you can't go far wrong with whatever major brand is on sale. Just make sure it's not spying on you.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Panasonic has been reliable for our family, for flat panel TVs--at least it was when we bought ours, 10 years ago at least, and when my dad bought his around the turn of the century. We have it and it still works beautifully-- we plan to give it to our son when he moves out, as we don't need two TVs except for the little one on our treadmill.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Come to think, our Vizio is about ten years old, too. It's not very smart, but it uses the symbiotic brain from the Xfinity box, so Netflix.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Reports of Sense8's demise were (somewhat) exaggerated...
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/1589 ... n-campaign
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Yay! :banana: They can wind everything up satisfactorily in 2 hours, I bet.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cool! I'll probably give this a shot once the finale is up. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ah, good, maybe I'll get around to watching it after all.

Some classical SF may be adapted as TV series. I heard Left Hand of the Darkness is a go, and Asimov's Foundation is being discussed.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Ooooh. I would love to see Left Hand of Darkness, if it could be done right. I'm just afraid the sexual oddity of the Gethenians will be too much the focus of the story, or at least the attention paid to it when the show comes out. It's important in the novel, too, of course, but more as a lens to see the Gethenian characters through. As well as something to confound and confront the human main character, and, through him, the reader, about what gender really means.

And it's a beautifully written novel—Le Guin's best SF work, in my opinion.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I just checked out Ursula's Gifts.

I can't understand how I haven't read her till now.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think she's brilliant. I've been reading her books essentially all my life. I recommend The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed, and, for fantasy, the Earthsea books—although my favorite of those is the fourth, Tehanu, which is not a YA book like the others. (They're all intelligent and complicated enough to be excellent reading for adults—like all the best YA books!)

She's one of those writers who has the ability to create vivid images in a reader's mind with just a few words. I would like to be able to do that when I grow up.

Some people find her (liberal green) politics annoying, and they're always there in her writing in some form. In her early works it sometimes felt a little heavy-handed (say, in The Dispossessed, which is still an excellent SF book). She's like Kim Stanley Robinson in that, but I think she's a much more expressive writer and usually weaves all that in so you sense it and think about it but aren't distracted by it.

Incidentally, she lives in Oregon and is one of our state treasures. She writes great letters to the editor.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I just finished Gifts. Yes, in half a day. Was spellbound. Oh, am so happy! A new prolific author!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, maybe I should check it out. I can't remember if I've ever actually read anything by her. I thought I had, but it would have been when I was a child.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Catwings? That was her.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

No, I don't think I've read that. :scratch:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Did you read the Earthsea trilogy? That's more YA, but they're wonderful books.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

If I have, I've forgotten it. :(

Netflix series: Master of None. I'm liking this! It has a much lighter feel than Flaked. It's not a laugh-a-minute show, but it has some brilliant moments that do make you laugh. I would say Aziz Ansari's character on Parks & Rec was my least favorite, but I really like him in this show. He talks about some big issues in a fun way (women's rights; stereotypes on TV, especially Indian ones; immigrant parents; etc.).

Oh, because it's on Netflix now, I highly recommend Life in Pieces if you want something that is truly hilarious. It's a TV sitcom, but it's very funny.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I adored S1 of Master of None! :love: If it was possible to somehow marry a TV show, I would marry it! :D :P Plan to get to S2 real soon.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Yay! I am really enjoying it! I wasn't sure with the first episode, but it has continued to improve and hook me in. :) I like its subtle humor, and I feel like that is increasing as it goes along. But I also genuinely like the characters and their relationships.
eborr

Post by eborr »

New hitch hikers with Elijah Wood, good fun, bit slow to start, but picks up afterwards
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,