Have you read...can you recommend...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Have you read...can you recommend...

Post by Dave_LF »

It's Les Misérables.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Doesn't sound much like Les Miserables? There is a bit where Thenardier tries to rob Marius, but is interrupted by Valjean, who rescues him. Or maybe the bit where Valjean robs the Bishop of Digne, who forgives him and gives him the stolen silverware to start an honest life?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It's Thenardier robbing Pontmercy Sr. (M's father) after Waterloo. I'm sure, because I just got to that part. :D I had some of the details scrambled a bit (he doesn't take him as a servant, at least not yet, just says that he'll remember his name) and the aftermath may not be quite what I remembered, but considering it's been 25 years since I read it the first time, I'm pleased I got as much right as I did.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

For those of you lamenting the fact that there are no more Elizabeth Peters books to read, you might give Donna Andrews a try. Not that you'd mistake one for the other, but her mysteries have a quirkiness to them that Peters had.

For example, from the one I'm reading now, right after she stumbles upon a body and hasn't yet identified it:
"I do hope you're somebody I used to like," I said to the body as I stood looking down at it and waiting for the police to arrive. "Not a lot, of course; but if you're someone I didn't like, the sheriff will probably arrest me on the spot."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

eNYPL had only one "Die like an Eagle" - I just borrowed that
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Let me know what you think!

I'm reading them in order, and am only on #3 ("Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos").

All the titles seem to have a bird-related theme.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

How do you have access to them?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Ottawa Public Library has them.

Have you ever used Interlibrary Loan?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I need to figure that out at NYPL. I've used it in a different library system but Mostly for research papers
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I read that one - it's a Meg Winslow mystery or something. It's okay. I can't see myself actually owning any of her books.

But that's okay - I just fell in love with Ursula's writing. Am good for a while. :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

She is a rare author who can weave a compelling story while building a world that is believable both ecologically and politically. I like some of her works more than others, but Left Hand of the Darkness is a masterpiece. Dispossessed, too, in a very different way.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Le Guin has written a lovely guide to writing, 'Steering the Craft - a 21st century guide to sailing the sea of story', which I've really enjoyed.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm reading the fifth book (of six) in Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles, which I thoroughly recommend.
They are historical fiction, with great depth and subtlety, and a lead character who is enigmatic and flawed and mesmerising.
These are not a quick read, but thoroughly engrossing.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I have loved these books for decades. My mother loved them. My brother loves them.

AND YOU STILL HAVE BOOK SIX TO GO. How I envy you!

(Plus, it means you survived Book Four!)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Survived is the word. Sophie's Choice.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm taking my time reading them (the language is lovely and worth savouring) because I don't want to get to the end of the series.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oooh sounds right up my alley.

I am just loving loving Ursula Guin. I feel so So Blessed that I found another author I love so much.

Reading one of her short stories set right now. Does anyone recall the one written from the perspective of the Oak Tree & relativity?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes. I'm pretty sure I've driven by that tree, on a country road in Oregon.

Her classic short story, the one they make kids read in school, is "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas." But I love most of them.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just read that one. I had heard/read about the premise several times - it gets referred to a lot in popular culture. The fact that it part of school reading explains that bit (in part).