Scotland's historic vote and the possible end of the UK

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Scotland's historic vote and the possible end of the UK

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Would Scotland then be able to rejoin the EU?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I don't know for sure, but that's what the Scots want. As Nin posted earlier, the EU has suspended all admissions processes for the next five years. But maybe Scotland can make a case that they are not "rejoining", but are just "remaining". Nin and/or Pearly Di can maybe give us the inside scoop...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe, but presumably the Brexit process will be completed by the time any new independence vote happened, meaning that technically they would not be remaining but rather rejoining.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Well. My original post seems positively quaint now. ;) The 2014 angst pales into comparison with the complexities and chaos of Brexit. :roll:

The issue of Scottish independence is more complicated than it was in 2014. For example, there are some people who in 2014 voted for Scottish independence who in 2016 voted to leave the EU. Obviously they're not in the majority, but it would be simplistic to assume that every single Scottish nationalist is pro-EU. As for the majority who voted for Scotland to remain part of the UK and for Britain to remain in the EU, who could blame them for feeling betrayed by last summer's vote :(

I still don't want Scotland to leave the UK - the idea of an official border between Scotland and England makes me :roll: and :( - but I wouldn't blame the Scots if they did! And my attitude now would be, 'hey, good luck, guys.'

But Scotland going to the back of the EU queue would not be good. :shock: I think this will give people a lot of pause.

For me it all comes down to the economy.

What a mess. David Cameron might well go down in history as the Prime Minister who managed to break up the United Kingdom.

(There's now a petition for the North of England to join Scotland in the fight for independence and be free of Westminster. :D I doubt that would work, but it did make me laugh.)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I hadn't heard that - do they want to join Scotland, or become yet another country? (and have they picked a name?)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Jude wrote:I hadn't heard that - do they want to join Scotland, or become yet another country? (and have they picked a name?)
https://www.change.org/p/the-uk-governm ... n-scotland

I'm not sure what they want to be called ...
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Ah - they want to join Scotland. They even have a hashtag: #TakeUsWithYouScotland

From here, it looks like it was only the south of England that wanted to leave the EU. Is that accurate?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No Wales voted for Brexit also.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End