Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Nature Pics

Post by Dave_LF »

Yes, 6 feet is about right.

I know people often train them not to branch; is it possible that's what happened with yours?

Otherwise, since the whole neighborhood was built at once back in the 50s, it's possible the developers bought some low-branching variety in bulk and planted them everywhere.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So are you saying yours are branching there at about 6 feet? It looks lower in the picture.

I don't think anyone put any thought into ours after planting them...if they even planted them deliberately. Of course, I'm mostly thinking of my old neighborhood, also built in the 50s or 60s, so who knows?

Do you have the tree places that come around and butcher them by just hacking them off across the top? :rage:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Some are lower than 6 feet, some are higher. The ones in my front yard are at about eye level, so six feet is a good estimate there.

Yes, the power company does exactly that. Luckily the power lines in this neighborhood mostly run through the back yards, so these trees are unaffected.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, the power companies are brutal. :( I'm glad these ones should be spared that fate. There was a fad awhile ago for topping the silver maples. People said it made them grow fuller or some such nonsense. What it did was brutalize the tree, weaken it, and make it look very ugly if it managed to survive.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Our neighbors have a huge old big-leaf maple that that was done to years ago, and it's now dying. It looks like a tree out of Tolkien—immense, covered in moss, with ferns growing out of forks in the branches; but above the mutilation, only weak vertical suckers have grown over the years, and they're dying (or standing dead in the crown of the tree). It's very sad, and also a little frightening, given that it stands above our driveway and part of our house. One huge limb fell last winter, but fortunately landed in the neighbors' front yard without damaging anything or hurting anyone (they run a day care!). But other limbs will fall. It needs pruning or maybe even removal, but the owners of the house can't afford it, and we can't afford to offer to pay for it--I'm sure it would cost thousands of dollars. It's not a street tree, so the city won't do anything about it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

It's very pretty! :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

My view for tonite's dinner in the Dominican Republic.
Attachments
IMG_3836.JPG
IMG_3836.JPG (77.76 KiB) Viewed 11911 times
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oooooh.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's very nice!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Nice picture, yov!

Remember this redwood pic? I had it printed out on a 30" x 60" canvas. It just arrived. It's awesome! :D
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... r2dhx9.jpg
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ooooh! Lovely!

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

This photo, "Crows on Snow," was taken by a criminalist with the Portland, Oregon, Police Bureau and became so popular they posted it in high-res. It's magical. Eerie. Every one of those black dots is a crow.
CrowsOnSnow_smaller.jpg
CrowsOnSnow_smaller.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 11893 times
It's posted in full size (4700 pixels wide) here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/624693
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Are they actually crows? :scratch: Crows don't generally form flocks that big, I thought. I'd guess a group that big is starlings.

Wonderful picture, though, whatever kind of bird it is.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I would've thought starlings, too, but it's a great picture either way! And I love crows.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Even old Grey ones?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Lol! Especially those!

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's one amazing pic.
I zoomed in - they didn't look like crows to me - more delicate looking. Of course, I'm thinking of the big black crows I grew up with in India...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

There are huge flocks of crows in downtown Portland—I've seen them in the air almost looking like a murmuration, startling against a sunset as they fly from one group of trees to another.

I'm pretty sure those are in fact crows, especially flocking at night in the cold (and especially since the photographer identified them as crows; it looks like a photo taken out of his office window, so he's probably seen them like this before). They may be a smaller variety than in India. And keep in mind that the scale of the trees is quite large.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh - since the photographer says they are crows, they must be. I mean, he saw them. While we are looking at a photo.

And yes, the Indian crows are Big & Mean. And bullies. But not orange.