The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Jude »

I don't have a Kindle, but my local library has multiple books by this Sergei Luknyanenko: Twilight Watch, New Watch, Night Watch, Day Watch, Last Watch. Which one is the first in the series?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Night Watch is the first. I haven't read the others but I heard that the first was also the best.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Once again Amazon Uk sucks.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Alatar, register on the US Amazon site, as a friend in the US whether you can use their address as your primary address on the account, and you can then access regional titles.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hmm, I'm registered on the US site, but if I try to buy anything it says I have to purchase from the UK?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Add a US address to your account. I've been using the address of a friend (with her permission), first in Florida, then in Virginia when she moved, and now her address in Columbia.
I then nominate it as my primary/default address. I still have my own address on my account details ib additionto my friend's address, and can nominate either address at will for delivery of hard objects.
It's been working for me for 6 years.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I can ship phsyical items from the US, but not Kindle books. Originally all my Kindle books were US, but they basically closed the loophole and only allow you to be registered for either US or UK on your account. I suppose I could generate a fake account but then I would have to deregister and reregister my devices. Hardly seems worth the effort. Hopefully they'll get their act together eventually!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Marc has his own Amazon account and has the Kindle App on his phone as well as his laptop and tablet. He has deregistered one of them (I think his tablet?) from his Amazon account and registered it to mine so he can access titles on my kindle library.

Perhaps you could consider something like that? Register a new Amazon account with a US address for a Kindle App on your phone (or whatever) to allow you access to kindle titles you can't get via Amazon UK.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman is 1.99 on Amazon for Kindle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KPV9PIW
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you kindly.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/scif ... bookbundle

New Humble Bundle is for classic Sci-Fi this week. DRM free multi-reader format.
Pay what you want!

Damnation Alley
Roger Zelazny

Roger Zelazny's The Dawn of Amber
John Gregory Betancourt

Wild Cards Deuces Down
George R.R. Martin, editor

The Deceivers
Alfred Bester

Dragonworld
Byron Preiss

The Last Defender of Camelot
Roger Zelazny

Pay more than the average of $12.66 to also unlock!

Robot Visions
Isaac Asimov

Roger Zelazny's Chaos and Amber
John Gregory Betancourt

Roger Zelazny's To Rule in Amber
John Gregory Betancourt

Wild Cards Death Draws Five
George R.R. Martin

The Computer Connection
Alfred Bester

Eye of Cat
Roger Zelazny

The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth
Roger Zelazny

Pay $15 or more to also unlock!

The Stars My Destination
Alfred Bester

Robot Dreams
Isaac Asimov

Roger Zelazny's Shadows of Amber
John Gregory Betancourt

The Demolished Man
Alfred Bester

Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime 1
Arthur C. Clarke,
Paul Preuss
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'd never heard of humblebundle.com ! I shall have to explore the site. Thanks Al.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its mostly for games, but they do books and comics also!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The final Pratchett/Baxter book, The Long Utopia is on Kindle for $1.99. Sadly, I haven't read Long Mars yet, and it's full price, so.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Same here. But worth buying & keeping...

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Aaaaaaaaannnd......got it, thank you.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

My kindle just updated its software and i just spent a little time familiarizing myself with the changes.
They've got some new fonts, one of which is open dyslexia. I was impressed that they had made the effort and taken it seriously.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

For Those who have prime or kindle unlimited, the free "paper magician series" in the kindle library is really-really worth reading.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

For those who can access it, I recommend BookBub. They send once-daily emails with e-book bargains, like Kindle. But the beauty of BookBub is that when you sign up, you set up filters so that they only include the kinds of books you're looking for. Best of all, you can also "follow" particular authors, chosen from a long list to which you can add your own names, and BookBub will send a immediate email notifying you of any deal that appears for that author.

I've been getting frustrated with the general weakness of the Kindle Daily Deals—the repetition, meaning that the ones of interest to me I often already own; and the fact that space is taken up by things like contemporary country romance novels that aren't of any interest to me at all. After a few months of using it, I find that BookBub is a nice supplement.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If anyone is curious about the science fiction book series THE EXPANSE, by James S. A. Corey, the first novel in the series, LEVIATHAN WAKES, is on sale on Kindle for $2.99 today. I highly recommend them if you like big, rich, exciting science fiction novels packed with strong and interesting characters you come to care about. There are horror elements, but not supernatural horror.

The Expanse is also a TV series on the SyFy channel in the U.S. Season 2 begins in January, and I highly recommend it as well; it's an excellent SF series with high production values, and the authors (Corey is two guys) are deeply involved in the production. One note: Leviathan Wakes includes part of the story that will be in Season 2, so, if the TV show is something you've been watching, here be spoilers. They're long books.

(About my post above—BookBub also often finds deals on Amazon Kindle books of interest to me that aren't included in the Kindle Daily Deals that day.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King