Experts to assess character of Gollum for Turkish judge

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Beutlin

Experts to assess character of Gollum for Turkish judge

Post by Beutlin »

I guess this fits in here :scratch: :

A Turkish court wants an expert examination of Gollum’s character for a bizarre case involving President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... judge.html
http://www.todayszaman.com/national_cou ... 05845.html

V, as a legal and a Tolkien expert, what is your take on this?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Experts to assess character of Gollum for Turkish judge

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I guess freedom of speech doesn't go very far in Turkey. But I don't think there is any question that it is an insult, and that Gollum is only the "real hero of the series" in a very accidental way. Gollum might be pitiable, but he is undoubtedly evil, in all his incarnations.

ETA: Thanks to bringing this to our attention. I had not seen it before.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

From the article: "Insulting the president is a crime punishable by a prison sentence in Turkey, with more than 200 people investigated for "insulting the head of state" between August 2014 and March 2015."

Seriously??
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Interestingly, the Telegraph article has a readers' poll on whether Gollum is evil or good, and the "evil" vote was less than 10% ahead when I checked.

The fact that insulting the head of state was made an offense is more concerning to me than anything else in the article. Was this made so by Erdogan, or was it the case before?
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Peter Jackson weighs in:

Erdoğan's 'Gollum insult' a mistake, says Lord of the Rings director
Tolkien film-maker Peter Jackson says images, which led to trial of Bilgin Çiftçi, depict only benign character Sméagol

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... harcter-is

Also Elijah Wood:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 59291.html
Voronwë the Faithful

“Sméagol is a joyful, sweet, character. Sméagol does not lie, deceive, or attempt to manipulate others. He is not evil, conniving, or malicious
Tell that to Déagol. Oh wait, you can't, because he was murdered by Sméagol!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm all for thorough literary analysis but not when it can send a guy to prison. Well done, PJ.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, I was going to edit my post to make clear that I appreciated Jackson's efforts to help the cause of the defendant. But then the power went out, and just came back on.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I posted a video of Stephen Colbert talking about this in the Geek thread in Bag End. It is brilliant and funny!