The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, that was a waste of two and half minutes (which was as far as I got before I turned it off).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Actually, that video made some good points.

Why so grumpy, Voronwë? :poke:
Voronwë the Faithful

We are what we are!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

According to Doug Adams, music editing for the BotFA EE is complete:

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/stat ... 3225211904

It seems like that must mean that the final cut of the EE is complete as well, since how can you complete music editing if you don't know exactly what the music is accompanying? That doesn't mean that the EE's are ready to be released though, since I would imagine that the extensive special features are what take the longest to produce. Plus, the commentary probably still needs to be done, since that can't be done until the EE cut of the film is completed.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yet another interview with Richard Armitage. The most interesting tidbit is that he suggests that there will be another scene with Thrain in the EE:
I was going to ask if you knew what scenes of yours will appear in the extended cut yet?

Well I know there’s a couple of scenes that never made it into the final film – like there’s a funeral scene and one of the things I’m excited about seeing is there’s a great chariot race, or a chariot chase should I say, that couldn’t make it into the film and also a performance by Antony Sher as Thrain which again got cut and I’m really looking forward to seeing.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/richard- ... in-america
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

So this is at least the second time we have heard this about the funeral and the chariot chase scene so that seems pretty solid. Combine that with some of the art we saw in the last CHRONICLES book and its close to a sure thing.

I for one dearly hope they give the EE a limited release in theaters as I want to see those scenes as big as possible. And there is the motivation for the studio to crack the one billion threshold and that could do it.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

The US release date is reportedly November 3, 13 days before the UK release date.

https://www.facebook.com/TolkienItalia/ ... 6967211144
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Well, I'm back after months of absence.
And I was hoping if someone would be kind enough to briefly summarize what we know of the BOFA EE scenes so far, as I can't go back reading months of posts. :oops: :oops:
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Smaug's voice wrote:Well, I'm back after months of absence.
And I was hoping if someone would be kind enough to briefly summarize what we know of the BOFA EE scenes so far, as I can't go back reading months of posts. :oops: :oops:
I know as little as you do. Frankly, I have not seen the extended versions of the first two Hobbit movies so far. Did the extra-scenes make the films any better? Nor have I seen LOTR since the AUJ came out. My brother and I intend to do all that this winter. One Hobbit week, and then one LOTR week. It will be glorious Image

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

Nice to see you SV! :wave: These three videos from PryftanAW of TORN comprehensibly sum up what we know might be in the EE:

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Hiya V! Thanks for the link, I'll check them put soon!

Beautlin - I think AUJ EE barely makes any difference (there's just one sequence in it that really matters).
But the DOS EE vastly improved it, both as an adaptation and as a film. It might very well be the most contributing EE after FotR.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

It looks like the rumored 30 or more minutes for the EE is not reality. We will get 20 more minutes. Thats it.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

One rumor has it that there is actually 30 minutes of new material, but that ten of it is replacement rather than addition. I doubt that is true, but it has been reported.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Honestly, I don't think The Hobbit movies need to be longer. They just need the time to be better used!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, if the rumour that I mentioned turns out to be true (which I still doubt), it would be an indication that Jackson agrees with you.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I know you're not really a fan of edits, but I'm really looking forward to a good Fanedit of The Hobbit Trilogy.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I might check out a well made edit at some point after the EE is released. But I doubt that any edit is going to be the edit that I would like, which would only tone down Alfrid in BotFA, remove some of the more explicit "love story" aspects of Tauriel and Kili's relationship, greatly reduce the rock em sock em stone giants scene in AUJ, and, depending on what they do about the Dol Guldur confrontation in the EE, somehow mitigate the (to me) ridiculous dark Galadriel, and probably just a few other minor things.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is the gift edition statue. Some find it underwhelming, but I quite like it:

http://i.imgur.com/fUE63sb.jpg
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I really like it! Seems so much better and emotive than the water-ride statue for DoS.
Voronwë the Faithful

I very much agree.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk