Rest in Peace PTerry :(

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Rest in Peace PTerry :(

Post by River »

I thought people didn't fall in the Ankh so much as on it...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

"And visitors say: how does such a big city exist? What keeps it going? Since it's got a river you can chew, where does the drinking water come from?" (Men at Arms)

and another subtle moment of river info: "The bolt whiffled past Corporal Nobbs' ear and landed in the river, where it stuck." (Men at Arms again)

(And now I'm walking home while reading the rest of MEN AT ARMS!)
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Men at Arms is arguably the funniest book of the series. Although the funniest moment is still Colon trying to get his chances to be precisely a million to one. But Detritus counting in binary was hilarious, too.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Check out the lspace.org home page.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The constructed million to one chance is just perfect. I wish all of us could get together & have a drink in his name.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The constructed million to one chance is just perfect. I wish all of us could get together & have a drink in his name.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just re-reading thief of time. I really wanted a story with lobsang & Susan. Not as the main characters, but a reappearance somewhere that would tell me.... About them.

---------------
GNU Terry Pratchett
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's been a year...

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:(

---------------
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

‘This is stupid. There’s barely a dozen of you. What can you do? All that stuff about “keeping the peace” – it’s rubbish, lads. Coppers do what they’re told by the men in charge. It’s always like that. What’ll you do when the new captain comes in, eh? And who’re you doing this for? The people? They attacked the other Houses, and what’s the Night Watch ever done to hurt them?’
‘Nothing,’ said Vimes.
'There you are, then.’
'I mean the Watch did nothing, and that’s what hurt them.’

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wow. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

PSA that Guards! Guards! episodes 1 and 2 are currently playing at BBC Radio 4.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jmk0

I am just rereading the book. What Pratchett wrote about the Elucidated Brethren is depressingly applicable right now, IMO.
It was amazing, this mystic business. You tell them a lie, and then when you don’t need it anymore you tell them another lie and tell them they’re progressing along the road to wisdom. Then instead of laughing they follow you even more, hoping that at the heart of all the lies they’ll find the truth. And bit by bit they accept the unacceptable. Amazing.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

"What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter."
Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

I am listening to Mark Oshiro read Going Postal, and I feel like 2016 has just been called out. And I haven't even gotten to the part with Reacher Gilt.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

As I pointed out on b77, Reacher Gilt lives in "Tump Tower". :shock:

Holy swear words.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Good point, although I feel it would be more like Horsefry tower. I was just listening to the part where Vetinari meets with the Grand Trunk board. It probably isn't how Mueller does business, but I can imagine some similarities.

Also, Pratchett on libertarian economics is savage here.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Who's the smartest guy in the room?

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/05/29/te ... why-wrong/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

As I promised Jude, here's the link to Mark Oshiro reading the first chapter of Color of Magic.

https://youtu.be/zgmqJnKkHKU

I've mentioned him a few times - he's the guy who makes videos of himself reading books completely cold, with no foreknowledge. He's now on The Shepherd's Crown.

Fair warning - he swears a lot when ambushed by PTerry's puns.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Thanks! I'm listening to it now.
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

I didn't post back when because I was seldom on this board (was I even on that far back?), but I expressed my grief over in TORC at the time.

Hubby is the one who got me started on PTerry's books, and in turn he was encouraged by a friend of ours. After that he would proselytize in bookstores! I think we have a copy of every book of his, some duplicates too; we also have all the books about him and his books. And I think we have most of the Discworld accessory books. We saw him in person at 3 science fiction conventions where he was guest of honor, and hubby saw him an additional time when he came to our city for a book signing. He is one of the few authors whom my husband insists on collecting in hardbound.

It's been 5 years already (good grief! and I mean that 2 ways) and we still miss him.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hi Morwenna!

I saw an announcement that a final book of Pratchett's unpublished stories is coming out soon. One of them is at the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... -september