BotFA Box Office

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: BotFA Box Office

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

In terms of domestic Box Office, after Day 19, DoS was at $201,542,078, and ended up at $258,366,855. AUJ was at $238,001,325, and ended up at $303,003,568. So BotFA, sitting at $220,767,000, is in between.

In terms of the international numbers, BotFA is way ahead of where DoS was in terms of butts in seats, and would likely be headed for as much as $800 million or more if the exchange rate was roughly the same as it was. My understanding is the deflated ruble alone has cost it about $20 million in the Russian box office, and the rest of the international numbers are about 10% less than they would be if the dollar wasn't so inflated. Predictions for the China box office are optimistic because it is a better start date (a month earlier than last year), but I would be surprised if it is inflated enough to still get the total to $1 billion dollars. AUJ did only $49,730,000 in China, and DoS was up to $74,730,000. A similar increase, up to $100 million I think may be realistic, but I think those who are predicting as much as $120 million or more are wildly optimistic. However, I think it would take that to get the worldwide total to $1 billion.

Not that I know what I am talking about.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Latest numbers:

Domestic: $236,517,000 30.3%
+ Foreign: $545,300,000 69.7%

= Worldwide: $781,817,000

The domestic box office was a bit lower than expected this weekend, leading many to believe that it will now barely pass DoS's total. China likely would have to top all expectations for it to get to a billion worldwide. $975 million is more likely. Still not chump change.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Big numbers from the China opening - just a tad under $50 million US dollars in the first three days. That should get them to 100 before its done if not more.

http://www.thewrap.com/hobbit-finale-de ... -in-china/
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

Good opening, and decent numbers since then, but unfortunately there are four films opening in China on Friday, and another on Saturday, so it is expected to lose more than half of its screens. It should still get to a $100 million, as you say, but probably not much more, which probably means the total won't even get to $950 million.

Still great numbers, but less than it could have been if factors having nothing to do with its quality or popularity had not conspired against it.

(Maybe they should have added a sniper to the film; that would have made it more popular in America.)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow...looking at the global numbers, TH easily beat out the US mega-hits like Hunger Games and Guardians. That's really surprising to me. TH remains super popular abroad despite the lukewarm-ish US reception, enough to crush several other movies that seemed much more succesful. Wonder why that is.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I would say "because they are good films" but then the other film that did even better worldwide was Transformers, so that argument doesn't hold up very well, does it?

BotFA would have threatened for the top spot in 2014 worldwide if the exchange rate hadn't changed so dramatically. Still, it is already No. 2 by a wide margin.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I would say "because they are good films" but then the other film that did even better worldwide was Transformers, so that argument doesn't hold up very well, does it?
It also doesn't explain them not being that popular here (relatively) which was more my point. :)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Except that the same is true (even more so) about the Transformers film. Remarkably, it had an $100+ million opening weekend in NA, and still only ended up with only about $245 million domestic total (less than BotFA has already made, even though BotFA opening weekend was half of Transformer's). And yet the Transformers "film" has made $842 million in "foreign" markets.

As for why the two films (BotFA and Transformers) are relatively less popular here in America? Probably because they don't have snipers in them.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:salmon:

:P
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

:llama:
Voronwë the Faithful

Current total: $915,878,000. Box office mojo seems to think that it has a chance to pass DoS's worldwide total, but I think $950 million is more realistic.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

So the six Middle-earth films helmed by Jackson will take in just a tad under $6 billion dollars US from the box office and that does not include all the video/DVD/and other ancillary rights. That would make it immensely profitable for all concerned.

Money question - which is going to be complete and total wild speculation: since the movie biz revolves around money - at what point does the campaign being to do another Middle- earth film get rolling? .... not the SILMARILLION .... but by cobbling together pieces from the appendices which they have the rights for and filling in the blanks as they go along?

I could even see an multit part cable series like GAME OF THRONES being attractive as an attention getter for a cable network.

Any response?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

It's hard to imagine the siren call of money no prevailing eventually.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I could even see an multit part cable series like GAME OF THRONES being attractive as an attention getter for a cable network.
That would be a dream come true, as long as its not on SyFy (though I would want to see LOTR done this way, not a bunch of appendices material). Hopefully it happens before I croak!
Voronwë the Faithful

I doubt that will happen in any foreseeable future, I am afraid.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

BotFA has passed the $100 million threshold in China today (now at $101 million). It should easily get to $125 million, I think (although China is a strange market).
Voronwë the Faithful

Another good day in China - 23.5 million (total of 688 million) - $110m. Probably the last good day, however, since it will lose so many more screens tomorrow with the opening of Mockingjay (why do they open a film on a Sunday?) Really a shame that it is losing so many screens, because it has been really picking up steam, despite already losing many screens (it has about half as many screens as a local film calling "Running Man" but is still grossing more).
Voronwë the Faithful

Passed $120 million in China today. It has been doing remarkably well, given the low theater count. Maybe it will get to $125 million after all.
LoremIspum

Post by LoremIspum »

Not bad, I have to say I'm really glad The Hobbit as a whole did so well in the BO. Partly because I don't think we would have gotten the EEs if it was a financial failure and always find those better than the cinema versions.
Voronwë the Faithful

Looks like the run in China is done, with a final total of $122.5 million. I would say the final worldwide total will be about $955 million, maybe a tad bit more.