The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

Post by Elentári »

Guess it's not too early to start one, since we already have so much to anticipate from the last EE...

Not least the funeral:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

Post by Alatar »

Nice!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wonder if there will be anything as radically different from the TE as Dol Guldur was in DoS.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

I still have not seen the EEs for "AUJ" and "DOS". The plan is to see all three EEs next year (not in one turn, but over a week or so).

Interestingly, there is a line by Bilbo in the theatrical version of BOFA which makes it perfectly okay that there is no funeral in the film (and I am writing this as someone who specifically looked forward to the funeral scene).
Voronwë the Faithful

Interesting.

I've always considered Thorin's funeral a likely candidate for an extended edition, so I'm not at all disappointed by the news that it isn't in the TE. As I have said before, it is his exchange with Bilbo before he dies that is crucial (and, PtB, I always knew they would include that).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I suspect that if they include the Funeral, Bilbo's words with Thorin may be held back for that.
Voronwë the Faithful

How could that be, as it is Thorin who says the most important line?

ETA: I must be misunderstanding you, having not yet seen the film.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:Guess it's not too early to start one, since we already have so much to anticipate from the last EE...

Not least the funeral:
Thanks for that pic Elen - it looks great. I fully expect the EE to be the great film we were hoping for.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:How could that be, as it is Thorin who says the most important line?

I mean that the conversation may take place in the halls of Erebor before the funeral, as in the book.
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh, okay.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

This scene between Bofur and Bilbo didn't make it into the TE...I wonder if it will be reinstated for the EE, though it is rather an echo of their conversation in the Goblin cave in AUJ:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/the-hobbits- ... as-smaug/2
Despite the massive scale of the trilogy - "The Hobbit" is by far the biggest
endeavor of his career, budget-wise - it is in the film's smaller, more
dialogue-driven scenes that Freeman feels truly at home. As an example he brings
up a scene in which Bilbo must conceal the fact that he has pocketed the Arkenstone
- a precious gem found during the raid on the Lonely Mountain that
the hobbit is planning to use as leverage for a peace deal between the dwarves
and the devastated residents of Lake-town - from the dwarf Bofur (played by
James Nesbitt).

"Bofur intimates that, 'I know you want to leave us
because we're having a f***** great battle tomorrow. So if you want to slip
away, I won't tell anybody.' But he doesn't know that Bilbo's got the Arkenstone
and Bilbo is going to slip away, but not out of cowardice but because he wants
to go and negotiate a peace between the [dwarves and the residents of
Lake-town]," says Freeman.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I think it would make a great scene precisely because it echoes the earlier one. Bilbo appears to be doing the same thing as last time, but the viewer knows better and can consider how far he's actually come...
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

And right on cue we have Philippa Boyens on the EMPIRE podcast, talking about what to expect in the EE (There are more goodbyes after the battle, and Dain inherits the dwarf empire. More Bard and the three Elven Rings)

http://www.empireonline.com/podcast/ [language warning if anyone listens to this at work]
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Cool.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:How could that be, as it is Thorin who says the most important line?

I mean that the conversation may take place in the halls of Erebor before the funeral, as in the book.
PB makes it pretty clear that that won't happen. [ETA: in the Empire podcast that Elen posted]
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Interview with Joe Letteri...confirmation that the chariot scene from the trailer will be in the EE!

http://collider.com/joe-letteri-the-hob ... interview/

Joe Letteri Time Index:
:11 – Have they been having conversations about the next Apes movie yet?
1:15 – Says they’re already working on the extended cut of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. One sequence in particular is a chariot scene on the ice that was glimpsed in the trailer.
2:36 – Has he heard anything about even more deleted scenes from The Lord of the Rings?
3:54 – Talks about advances in technology and what they’re working to make better.
4:58 – Has there been a time when a director has come to them and they’ve had to say they couldn’t do it? Says the closest they came was Avatar.
5:55 – Talks about the Avatar sequels.
6:50 – Says Avatar 2, 3, and 4 will be the most ambitious thing they ever tried.
8:00 – How long do people at Weta normally sign on for? Are they on for the entirety of a certain project?
9:07 – With regards to underwater motion-capture, he says they haven’t put someone in a tank just yet.
9:25 – Talks Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Says they’re working on a sequence in the film that’s self-contained—it wasn’t the sequence that was shown at Comic-Con.
10:50 – What other projects are they doing? Says they’re working on the Maze Runner sequel, Spectral, and a bit of work on Fantastic Four.
11:25 – Says productions don’t really shoot VFX-heavy sequences early in the schedule anymore, which used to give the VFX houses more time to work on the effects.
12:27 – What has he seen recently that really impressed him? Talks about the integration of lighting in Gravity.
13:15 – Is he able to watch VFX-heavy films and just enjoy the story, or is he focused on the technology aspect of it?
13:50 – Talks about the superhero genre and what he likes about it.
15:08 – The future of motion-capture technology. Talks about what they learned on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and what they’ve been pushing for in terms of capture.
17:03 – Talks about the collaboration process with Peter Jackson on The Hobbit movies. Says they created 150+ characters for The Battle of the Five Armies.
18:45 – Talks about their server farms. Say they refresh and upgrade once or twice a year.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Embarrassingly, I forgot that we had this thread, and started a new one to post that very link (which I then deleted when I saw that not only did we already still have such a thread, but that you had posted about the Letteri interview in it already).

:roll:
Voronwë the Faithful

We should probably mention that RA also confirms that the funeral (with the arkenstone) will be in the EE in his Empire podcast, not that we had any doubt of it.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I'm disappointed to hear that the chariot scene is in. The last thing this EE needs is more OTT action scenes on Ravenhill (judging by the trailer, the chariot scene takes place thereabouts). If anything, that whole part of the film could use some serious editing down. I hope they spend more time on either character scenes, or on the main part of the battle (outside Dale), which was very undercooked.

Also, it seemed clear from the trailers that the Iron Hill dwarves actually attack Thranduil's army with ballista weapons, and that Thranduil's armies responds with a volley of arrows. This would have to happen before the were-worms turn up. Any indication that this will be reinstated in the EE?
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Philippa Boyens continues to be one of the most frustrating people associated with these films to me. The absolutism with which she declares that certain things "cannot be done on film" is so misguided (and unimaginative), that I can't help but squirm through the entirety of her interviews (including this one with Empire). As someone who is cinematically/ visually-minded, and a fan of Tolkien, I just can't listen to her for very long before wanting to take a shower. Her vision is so restricted, and she is so contemptuous of alternative modes of storytelling, that I have to wonder what exactly she is doing in the creative arts...

I'd much rather listen to Peter Jackson's child-like giddiness about his work, which to me, seems far more genuine.