When will you be seeing BotFA

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: When will you be seeing BotFA

Post by narya »

Some places will be showing the entire trilogy on Monday, December 15. The urge to take a day off from work and go see it from 1 PM to 7 PM or so in 3-D IMAX is pretty strong, but I'm already taking December 16th off to crew on a 51 foot sailboat, and anyway I'm not sure my brain could handle it. Ah, the first world dilemmas we have!

Here's where to check for local listings. Lots in the SF Bay Area.
http://movietickets.warnerbros.com/us/t ... -marathon/
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think it would be more likely to be 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. or so
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

I am going to see all three Hobbit movies on Tuesday in IMAX 3D, starting around 6 p.m, together with my brother. I can't believe that it all ends in less than seventy-five hours. And I am going to see it once more in HFR a week after that on the sixteenth with my parents and my brother. And surely once more after that (again only with my brother)...one last time.
Voronwë the Faithful

It doesn't end then; not until the EE comes out, at least. And perhaps not then either.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I've never done one of those three film marathons, mostly out of fear. The question for me is: would I be exhausted by the time the third film rolls along (in this case, BOFA), and if so, would that dampen my enjoyment of it?

In this case, though, my sense is that the three Hobbit films might play better as one single film (barring the Thorin-Bilbo resolution/ hug off at the end of AUJ).

Hmmm....
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Apparently one of our local cinemas is showing a double bill with DoS on Thursday, beginning at 9pm, and opening the BotFA run at 00:01 am....

I imagine those two movies back to back will work quite well - at least the cliff hanger won't be an issue!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

There are also a bunch of theaters showing the marathon in Monday the 15th, starting early afternoon.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I've never done one of those three film marathons, mostly out of fear. The question for me is: would I be exhausted by the time the third film rolls along (in this case, BOFA), and if so, would that dampen my enjoyment of it?

In this case, though, my sense is that the three Hobbit films might play better as one single film (barring the Thorin-Bilbo resolution/ hug off at the end of AUJ).

Hmmm....
That was/is my fear too. A friend of mine watched all of Nolan's Batman films in a row and could not enjoy the third film. He was tired and the theatre started to smell. But as I said before, he is weak and I highly doubt my brother and I will be tired when film three starts around midnight :horse: A couple of years ago we watched all extended editions in a row on a 19-inch PC-monitor and it worked out just fine, so I think it might work as well on an IMAX screen. And you are correct that the Hobbit films could hugely benefit from such a marathon screening, thereby avoiding any feelings of incompleteness.

I would go for it, PtB, but be sure to read my thoughts on the film on Wednesday, as I can then tell you if the marathon-screening was a good idea.

I should emphasize that my brother and I are still relatively young fellows (early tweens in the Tolkien-sense). As most of you are much, much older, it might be more challenging for you. :devil:
Voronwë the Faithful

What's that you say, sonny? Here, let me turn my hearing aid up.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Let me just lend you my liniment, Sonny.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Is that Beutlin hanging around on my lawn again? My vision's fuzzy, but it looks like that young hooligan with his pants 'round his ankles. Make yourself useful and get a job!
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It doesn't end then; not until the EE comes out, at least. And perhaps not then either.
:hug: :grouphug:
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

I am attending the film on December the 18th- premiere in Greece/Salonica- with 7 friends of mine and i have already booked another viewing on the 19th(next day) with my mother,aunt and uncle.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll be watching the trilogy tomorrow, but it may be Friday evening before I get to post my thoughts!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Have fun, Al. Is the whole family going?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No, just me, Conor and a friend of his. Looking forward to it now!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I hope you really enjoy it!
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

4 hours left until my first viewing of BOTFA. I am getting really excited as time goes by.
Voronwë the Faithful

:)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'll be seeing it today at noon.