The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The last line of the last of those three spots is so wonderfully Bilbo-esque! And Dain looks pretty darned bad-ass (but not as bad-ass as Galadriel!)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

So...2 of the choice of covers havbe been revealed for the HOBBIT special edition of EMPIRE Magazine, (due out over here on Thursday) this month guest-edited by PJ himself...

ImageImage

http://www.empireonline.com/hobbit/
Last edited by Elentári on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Dain! Dain! Dain! Now THAT's a dwarf. Badass doesn't even begin to describe him. Makes me think that the guy who allegedly saw BOFA, and said Dain looks "goofy" did not actually see the film. He's certainly heavily armored, and wields a massive hammer, but "goofy" is not the descriptive term I would use.

That quick shot of Galadriel doing some Galadriel magic was also badass. Looking forward to the Dol Guldur stuff now.

But can someone send PJ, or Warner Brothers, a letter and ask them to please stop using the Bard on a cart shot in every trailer? It looks so incredibly dumb, IMO, and weakens what are otherwise a pretty solid set of TV spots.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'll get right on that!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's another Empire cover featuring the Elves of the Woodland Realm (I'm pretty sure that Elen will agree that the right Elf is most prominently featured):
Attachments
empire - Elves.jpg
empire - Elves.jpg (310.47 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Perfect! ...although if only they'd told Lee Pace to move to his left a bit more.... :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, someone clearly tried to blow his hair in the right direction. :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ah, HIS left, Frelga... ;)

And here's...DAIN!

~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh. I was wondering what you had against Legolas. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have to say, War Boars look a lot cooler than I expected!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote:I have to say, War Boars look a lot cooler than I expected!
Funny you say that, because Dain's mount is draw all kinds of ire "elsewhere".
Passdagas the Brown

Dain looks great. Much better than I expected.

But is it me, or does his mount look more like a potbellied pig than a boar?
Voronwë the Faithful

That is the complaint "elsewhere". I'm not at all concerned.
Passdagas the Brown

Speaking for myself, it's not so much a complaint, as it is an observation. It's just not a boar!

This might be a joke from PJ. Perhaps they modeled him after that pig on set, that everyone loved? I believe he was on the set of Beorn's house, and in Laketown (the kingsfoil-eater). A little hint that Dain has a soft side, and prefers to ride his childhood pet pig, rather than something more intimidating? A part of me likes it...and another part of me thinks it steps a little too far over the line, ala Radgast's bunnies.

Or...maybe this photo is an elaborate joke of PJ's, and the final design will actually be a ravenous boar?

Questions that need answering!
Passdagas the Brown

Also, I don't see any posts about Dain on the front page of "elsewhere..."

Imagine that the furor is on the MB?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup.
Passdagas the Brown

The pot-bellied pig mount looks very silly, IMO. But who knows? It might inject a little bit of humor in what may otherwise be a pretty gloomy affair.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

From everything that we have seen so far, I seriously doubt that it will actually look like a pot-bellied pig. But we will see!
Passdagas the Brown

But there it is in that image! The head looks very much like a pot-bellied pig, with their silly ears and squished face, and not at all like a wild boar, with their elongated faces and snouts (and tusks).

I'm convinced this is a little joke of PJ's, but that's what some of us said about the rabbit sled. :)
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I love the rabbit sled. I think it is quite clever and it tickles my funny bone. I dislike the bird droppings and the stick insect and the cross-eyed smoking, but otherwise I really like the depiction of Radagast.