Movies you stopped watching, and why

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Cerin

Movies you stopped watching, and why

Post by Cerin »

'Proxy'. Too disturbing.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Movies you stopped watching, and why

Post by River »

A TV version of some classic (1000 Leagues Under the Sea? Treasure Island?). Had Patrick Stewart in it. Heroine had a very low-cut dress. It was just crappy.

Alien vs. Predator. Gave it ten minutes and quit because it was so very very dumb.

Clockers. Was watching with the husband. English is his second language. There were no subtitles in English and we gave up because he just couldn't follow the language. I was bummed when we bailed on this one because it was actually quite good. We had the same problem with Coriolanus because, even with subtitles, Elizabethan English just isn't happening for him. But we stuck with that one because it was shot in Belgrade and Kotor and he was feeling patriotic.

Vertical Limit I almost bailed on but stuck with just to see how much more stupid they could pile in. It was impressive, and not in a good way.

I feel like we also once walked out of the cinema on something but I can't remember what it was.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

River wrote:Alien vs. Predator. Gave it ten minutes and quit because it was so very very dumb.
I can't resist an 'Alien vs. Predator' movie! :D :oops:

I stuck with 'Coriolanus' out of respect for Ralph Fiennes, but man, I could not relate in the slightest.

'The Hunger Games' - Too brutal in concept, I lost interest.

edit grammar
Last edited by Cerin on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

River wrote:But we stuck with that one because it was shot in Belgrade and Kotor
Is it bad that I read that as Knights of the Old Rebublic?

For me I'm gonna say Darkman. It was meant to be a sort of gritty Batman with Liam Neeson but man did it suck!

In the so bad it's good camp I vote for Iron Skies! Nazis on the Far Side of the Moon ftw!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Alatar wrote: In the so bad it's good camp I vote for Iron Skies! Nazis on the Far Side of the Moon ftw!!!
I have been cautiously circling that one for some time. :D
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I think Darkman was meant to be both gritty AND campy. I think.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I saw "The Notebook" in a theater and walked out half-way through. Only movie I've ever paid for and walked out on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I walked out on Gremlins, mainly because my screaming child could not handle the intensity of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

JewelSong wrote:I saw "The Notebook" in a theater and walked out half-way through. Only movie I've ever paid for and walked out on!
Too sappy for you, Jewel? (Wouldn't an F type have a high tolerance for sap? ;) )

narya, I hope your child wasn't too traumatized! I recall that I was babysitting for two pre-teens during my High School years, and I think we were watching that on TV (Kim Darby?), and there was quite a bit of screaming from all quarters.

I recently quit on 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'; I just wasn't in the mood.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I had to be taken out of the Japanese animated Little Mermaid when I was little. It was a lot more faithful to the Andersen story than the Disney version.

I also had to step out of Outbreak briefly, as it was pushing my particular buttons.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I quit Legends of the Fall because I absolutely could not take one more smug, pretentiously sensitive moment of Mr. Brad Pitt's performance.

I wish I had quit The English Patient. I just could not believe that a character whose quivering misery was not his/her own damn fault was not going to show up at some point. It was a tragedy version of Roger Ebert's Idiot Plot.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You know, it strikes me that all Shakespearean Comedy depends on the Idiot Plot.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Not so much as total refusal to believe that it is possible for a woman to wear men's clothes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No! :shock:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Frelga, my very young son was frightened by 'The Little Mermaid' (Disney version), but sadly, I wasn't there to comfort him. (It was during a visit to my parents, and I was finishing up something for my Dad, so a friend kindly offered to take my son to the movie. I really hated the thought of him being upset and me not being there with him!)

Prim, I can better you on 'Legends of the Fall'. I knew better than to watch it. :D But I did end up watching it! I'd been raving to a woman at work about a book or author, and she offered to read the book if I'd watch the movie (Brad Pitt fan). So I had to sit through every interminable moment. I think it may be the only time I ever screamed at the TV screen ('Anthony Hopkins! What are you doing in this movie!) It wasn't Mr. Pitt who bothered me, though. It was the whole overblown melodramatic mess. I believe if one were to put movie genres in order from least to most favorite, the 'Overblown Melodramatic Generational Family Saga' would be at the bottom of my pile. (My co-worker didn't like the book, either.) :D

I waited about 15 years to see 'The English Patient', but didn't find it quite as irritating as you seem to have found it. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, seriously. Lots of Idiot Plotting involved in those, generally, as people spent forty years keeping vital secrets from each other and wait until their deathbeds to admit they have always, always loved their wife, or have always, always been so proud of their son, no really, the bitter undercutting and nastiness was to keep you STRONG. . . .
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

"Flicka", the 2006 remake of the classic Maureen O'Hara book.

Well, I actually kept watching it in disbelieving fascination, thinking, "Can it possibly get any WORSE?"
The answer was yup, it can!

Horrible melodramatic dialogue, over-the-top, unbelievable plotting, unrealistic scenes, not to mention a hackneyed script riddled with clichés. It was not even filmed very well. Some of the action scenes with the horses running just could not be seen on a TV screen, and the rodeo action scenes were very, very poorly filmed, consisting of a jumble of badly cut shots.

Reviews insist horse-lovers will like this film. Please don't count me in that category! It SUCKED!! None of the horse/girl sequences worked for me. Singing to a horse will NOT tame it. There was NO chemistry between the girl and horse, and she didn't even look like she had a clue how to ride. As for the horse protecting her from the mountain lion...GIVE ME A BREAK! Only in Disneyland, my friends... :nono:

Most movies that were bad enough for me to stop watching them have been forgotten by my brain. I can't recall their titles. I do remember watching part of a Graham Greene movie where the film-makers had painted a modern canoe to look like a birch bark canoe. The attempted deceit was very obvious, especially as the Indians had no idea how to treat the canoe. You'd put a hole in the bottom of a birch bark canoe pretty quickly if you got in and out of it the way they did in the movie. Their paddling skills were also non-existent. Graham is a member of the Oneida tribe, and has starred in many films that featured him as a First Nations character, so I am not able to pinpoint which of his films this clunker was! Hopefully, it was one of his 'made for TV' movies, and not a big budget production. (I imagine they would have found a REAL birch bark canoe if they'd had a bigger budget! Or maybe the people who had planned to lend them the canoe took one look at the actor's total lack of canoeing skills, and decided, nope, NO WAY!! :rofl: )

Of course, as with most truly bad films, the scene with the canoe was not the only thing wrong with the film. Far from it! But that scene was definitely the tipping point that caused me to change channels! Graham is a pretty decent actor, and up until then, I'd been willing to give the film a chance, mainly because of his presence.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Sunsilver, it sounds as though you are a horse person, and could spot every false move in 'Flicka'. I will make it a point to avoid that movie. Do you have some favorite horse movies?

(I imagine they would have found a REAL birch bark canoe if they'd had a bigger budget! Or maybe the people who had planned to lend them the canoe took one look at the actor's total lack of canoeing skills, and decided, nope, NO WAY!! :rofl: )
It's really amazing how bad some production values are! I think there's only been one movie, though, that had me wondering how anyone involved could have managed to see it through. And two of them were recognizable actors. I found it so difficult to believe they were involved (yet, there they were.)

You are right, the movies we quit on quickly slip out of memory (so, perhaps not the most sensible subject for a discussion thread). :D
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

As a film buff, I never walk out of movies on principle. Never.

Except for once, when Colin Farrell's "Alexander" dared me to walk out on his epic poop-fest, and won the dare. I simply could not stay.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Cerin wrote:
JewelSong wrote:I saw "The Notebook" in a theater and walked out half-way through. Only movie I've ever paid for and walked out on!
Too sappy for you, Jewel? (Wouldn't an F type have a high tolerance for sap? ;) )
Actually, I went because I was in the mood for a sappy, three-hankie tear jerker. But I thought the acting was abysmally bad, there was ZERO chemistry between the two main characters and the whole thing was just stoopid. Not romantic at all. Just dumb.

When they lay down in the middle of the street, I wished a truck would run them over so the movie could end. :P
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame