Bones of the Ox: J.R.R. Tolkien and Source Criticism

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Bones of the Ox: J.R.R. Tolkien and Source Criticism

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I thought it worth mentioning that this book, to be published by McFarland, is being compiled and edited by my friend Jason Fisher (visualweasel here and at other Tolkien sites), with contributions from some of the most respected Tolkien scholars around. The whole topic of source criticism as applied to Tolkien is a fascinating and controversial subject, as acknowledged in the title of the book, which is taken from a famous quote of Tolkien's which is often quoted in criticizing source criticism, and this book promises to be a tremendous addition to the world of Tolkien scholarship. I for one am greatly looking forward to it.

Here's Jason's announcement of the book from his blog:

http://lingwe.blogspot.com/2011/01/bones-of-ox.html
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think that permalink isn't working yet, Voronwë, but for today anyway, the blog's home URL takes you right to the article:

http://lingwe.blogspot.com/

<off to read>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks Prim. I fixed it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Bones of the Ox: J.R.R. Tolkien and Source Criticism

I am very happy to pass on the news that Jason today was awarded the Mythopoeic Society's Inkling's Studies award for this book.

http://www.mythsoc.org/news/mythopoeic- ... announced/