Preliminary Thoughts

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, we're getting there. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Asymptotically. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

I don't know if my vote counts for much but I think it's a worthwhile undertaking and should be continued. The journey may, at times, seem like a slog but I believe there is so much more to analyse, disagree on and stimulate discussion in later chapters. The structure, idiom, scope and ambition explode after The Fellowship of the Ring so you should definitely keep at it.

I'll try to catch you up.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm involved, but silently.

I just don't have the...whatever it was that swept over me when I started the Silmarillion study group on TORC ten years ago (TEN YEARS AGO! :shock: ) And even back then, after getting it off the ground, I was more the custodian than the discussion leader, and often found myself too busy to actually contribute, no matter my best intentions.

So, I'll just go sit behind Al and Frelga and take notes, shall I? ;)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Whatever this is, I want to be part of it.

To have the chance to talk about a book that means so much to me (that saved my mother's life, years ago . . . that meant the same to me not that much more recently). . . .

Anyway. I'm as in as I possibly can be.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Whatever this is, I want to be part of it.

To have the chance to talk about a book that means so much to me (that saved my mother's life, years ago . . . that meant the same to me not that much more recently). . . .

Anyway. I'm as in as I possibly can be.
Voronwë the Faithful

Gorthaur, your vote counts for much! And Prim, that was definitely worth saying twice. :)

I'll wait another day or so and see if anyone else want to volunteer to get the next chapter started, and if not, I'll go ahead and work something out.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I'm not quite at Khazad-dûm yet, but I could probably do a writeup in the future!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Phooey, now I can't cover my tracks. . . .
Voronwë the Faithful

My work here is done.

(Not really, of course, but it sounds like a maverick and danger to us all kind of thing to say =:) )
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Pbbbbbthtttttthhhhhhhhhh.

Now I'll get back to my regular mission of elevating the tone around here.
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

I'm in! I don't come onto the site every day, and mostly I'm trying to catch up with reading all the posts relating to the chapters that have been done already. But I do want to continue!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yay! I think I will move on to Lothlórien, unless someone wants to volunteer to begin the discussion on that chapter.
Beorhtnoth

Re: Preliminary Thoughts

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I wonder whether there is any enthusiasm for continuing with the next chapter, "The Mirror of Galadriel"? I find Galadriel Tolkien's most enigmatic character (save perhaps Tom Bombadil), and Boromir's warnings of her "sorcery" from the previous chapter more prescient than credited.

(As an aside, I somehow felt "short-changed" when reading of Galadriel in The Silmarillion, as though her role had somehow been diminished.)

B
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Voronwë the Faithful

There is no way that that comment is not a reference to my book. You are a lot more well-read than you are letting on.

And I for one would love to continue on, so long as I don't have to lead the discussion.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

:D

I regret I haven't (yet) read Arda Reconstructed, but, yes, I was employing a little sorcery of my own, as a carrot to begin the next chapter. I am not a great practitioner of magic!

In my wandering of the Hall of Fire I've dipped my toe in most of the forums, and picked up on your observations regarding Galadriel. It interests me specifically because I do find this Elven queen wonderfully ambiguous, and the best illustration of how Elves are not just Men with pointy ears.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I would like to as well.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Beorhtnoth wrote::D

I regret I haven't (yet) read Arda Reconstructed, but, yes, I was employing a little sorcery of my own, as a carrot to begin the next chapter. I am not a great practitioner of magic!

In my wandering of the Hall of Fire I've dipped my toe in most of the forums, and picked up on your observations regarding Galadriel. It interests me specifically because I do find this Elven queen wonderfully ambiguous, and the best illustration of how Elves are not just Men with pointy ears.
:D
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I have an idea to present the next chapter, The Mirror of Galadriel, for discussion, but knowing it incorporates a wealth of contention, I wonder whether, unlike other chapters, a short summation without commentary might be the best avenue to take?

I think this is, possibly, the most important chapter, tying LotR inextricably with the Silmarillion.

What thinkyou?
Voronwë the Faithful

Please go ahead and start a new thread on the chapter. I will leave it up to you if you want to start with a short summary without commentary, or not.

ETA: By the way, for the record, I thought your response to my comment "I'll be back," which I saw before you deleted it, was funny.