Desolation of Smaug reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:(RT is also an imperfect measure, as a lot of the "fresh" ratings for AUJ are tempered with sharp criticisms).
I've long wondered why metacritic isn't more popular considering it avoids this flaw with non-binary ratings:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-hob ... ic-reviews
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I've long wondered why metacritic isn't more popular considering it avoids this flaw with non-binary ratings:
The answer is in your question: non-binary ratings. ;)

People want simple guidance, not nuance!

ETA: And yes, the Metascore of 58 is a far better reflection of the critical reaction to AUJ than the 67 at Rotten Tomatoes. A lot of the RT "fresh" ratings were very mixed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Metacritic is definitely a more accurate metric. But RT is more popular because its binary ratings are simplistic, which appeals to the general public (because people generally have very short attention spans in this day and age).

ETA: cross-posted with PtB, who said much the same thing, but put it better.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here are more twitter reactions posted at TORN (apologies if any have already been posted here):

@Breznican: Okay, Hobbit 2 ... That's more like it. [ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY]

@jerslater: It's basically a three hour action movie. Smaug is incredible. The last hour is basically Jurassic Park in Middle Earth.

@Variety_DMcNary: Strong positive reaction to 'Desolation of Smaug', especially action sequences. [VARIETY]

@jerslater20m: So, um...guys? DESOLATION OF SMAUG is f****** awesome.

@Joe_N_Marino: So... I saw the world premiere of #TheDesolationOfSmaug and WOOOOOW... I loved it. My 2nd favorite of the whole franchise. Smaug was INSANE.

@edgarwright: Just home from the 'Smaug' premiere which is a treat for your eye bulbs and ear drums. The barrels set-piece is PJ in especially fine form. [DIRECTOR OF HOT FUZZ, SHAUN OF THE DEAD]

@Lisse_A: I completely agree. It was a complete sensory experience. Nothing like I've seen before. Loved every minute.

@Lissie_A: Also.. SMAUG!!!!!! YES!!!! "I Am DEATH" #BenedictCumberbatch is a ****ing wonder. The Necromancer.. Perfection. He deserves all the awards.

@Joe_N_Marino: Trust me, both her and Legolas deserve to be in this story

@Breznican: The barrel escape in #TheHobbit pt 2 is a thrilling and hysterical set piece - what the train fight in Lone Ranger hoped to be

@TheDylan1030: Oh btw I just watched Hobbit: desolation of Smaug at the premiere. Idk if you're into this franchise but it was pretty awesome

@aramisknight83: haha yea it was a solid film. I liked it more than the first. Had some hilarious scenes too

@robertirvine: I have to tell you watching the new Hobbit was amazing ! You have to see this movie I was in total awesome, don't miss it . Goodnight from LA

@aprilsalud: Review of Desolation of Smaug: PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT

@beckfilmcritic: Saw The Desolation of Smaug earlier today. Definitely gets a thumbs up. Full review coming next week.

@nerdsrocket: Protip: Don't see Desolation of Smaug in 3D. I'm still nauseous two hours later. #TheHobbit
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I went through all the spoilers on that imdb thread EXCEPT the one about the film-conclusion (I hope to be surprised at least once ;) ) and what I read, I like it.
Except for the Kili-Tauriel_lego thing everything sounds right.
And another concern is that I hope it is not
Hidden text.
Azog who defeats Gandalf and captures him.
That would be worse than Tauriel-Kili! :x

I read over TORN. Beorn just 5 minutes? Is that confirmed? That seems totally absurd.
Well, I may turn against my stance on the barrel scene. Seems like a fun ride and better than Goblintown (which IIRC, recieved mixed reactions from the start).
Voronwë the Faithful

Smaug's voice wrote:And another concern is that I hope it is not
Hidden text.
Azog who defeats Gandalf and captures him.
That would be worse than Tauriel-Kili! :x
Hidden text.
The reports are that Gandalf gets the best of Azog, but then the Necromancer comes and captures him.
Passdagas the Brown

There is a string of threads on TORN where a lot of those kinds of questions are answered, Smaug's voice.

People believe he is legit because he produced a movie ticket, and his answers are very detailed.

According to him,
Hidden text.
Beorn has a very small part. 4-5 minutes at most.
If it's high quality stuff, I won't mind though. I'm just concerned about too much Legolas than Tauriel.

Honestly, I think I have more of a problem with more Legolas and Tauriel. Let's get on with this set of films, and leave LOTR behind already.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Dp
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

That's still better V.
PtB, is that bear form included? Still sounds very short.

And suddenly I am finding my anticipation going cold. I think that might be because of all those tweets commenting just about the action or stating it's an action film. While all middle earth films have had action none of them I can call as action-flicks. But seeing that DOS might, that depresses me. I don't want a Pirates of Middle-earth afterall.
I prefer to stay excited (unlike PtB ;) ). Any advice?
Voronwë the Faithful

Richard Corliss, Time's film critic, who gave AUJ a bad review, has ranked DoS as one of the top ten films of the year.
Who could guess, after the meandering first feature in a seemingly unnecessary eight-hour trilogy of films based on a novel of less than 300 pages, that Peter Jackson had such a vigorous and thrilling middle episode in store? With Bilbo (Martin Freeman), Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and the dwarves finally done with introductory dawdling, they dive into a nonstop adventure among the noble Elves, the rough-hewn humans of Laketown and the ferocious dragon Smaug (voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch). This time, Andy Serkis has not lent his presence to Gollum, but his work as second-unit director is spectacular. Each complex encounter, especially a flume-ride escape of the dwarves, boasts a teeming ingenuity of action and character. A bonus: the budding romance of the warrior Elf Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly) and the dwarf hunk Kili (Aidan Turner). In all, this is a splendid achievement, close to the grandeur of Jackson’s Lord of the Rings films.
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/12/0 ... z2mWxposhf
Voronwë the Faithful

I'll take "a teeming ingenuity of action and character." You keep nasty "budding romance."

ETA: And PtB will be interested to see what is number one.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

It's the "close to the grandeur of Jackson's Lord of the Rings" which excites me!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

VtF wrote:You keep nasty "budding romance."
Ahh...no, no...really, I couldn't possibly. But thanks for the offer! :puke:

Smaug's voice wrote:It's the "close to the grandeur of Jackson's Lord of the Rings" which excites me!
I'll believe it when I see it! ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'll take "a teeming ingenuity of action and character." You keep nasty "budding romance."

ETA: And PtB will be interested to see what is number one.
:)
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I'm going to make a prediction: we'll see the early seeds of a romance in this movie, but it won't actually go that far. It will develop slightly more in TABA and they'll feel angsty about the possibility of fighting each other, but Tauriel will be heartbroken when Kili dies before they have a chance to confess their feelings to each other. Or maybe the starcrossed would-be lovers both die alongside each other, with Fili as the third wheel.

Someone fetch me a bowl to puke in. :wimper:
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The Corliss comments are very encouraging and increases my belief that the film will be more serious and more in the vein of LOTR as I have hoped for.

This is very reassuring news.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Passdagas the Brown

I hate to sound like a snob, but Corliss is, IMO, one of the least credible reviewers on the planet.

Though it is still encouraging that he liked it...
Voronwë the Faithful

Snob!

(ETA: Although the fact that he ranked a very Hollywoodized cheese-fest with admittedly fantastic special effects but little else going for at No. 1 does support that judgment.)
Passdagas the Brown

At least I get the satisfaction of knowing that you are very much in the minority on that opinion, V!

Cuaron works on a higher plane that you simply do not understand. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

:horse: