Desolation of Smaug reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Desolation of Smaug reviews

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Might as well get a thread set aside from reports of reviews.

The very first reported reaction (at least that I have heard about, as reported at TORN), a tween from one Dr. Robi Ludwig, who attended the screening in New York (there apparently was one in LA and one in NY), and responded to a question from someone about whether she liked the film by saying:
I did like the movie! Great acting! Good action! The movie really moved.
https://twitter.com/drrobiludwig/status ... 2889650178

Later she tweeted:
Great movie!
https://twitter.com/drrobiludwig/status ... 4932484096

Dr. Ludwig is apparently a psychotherapist and the star of two reality TV shows. Needless to say, her opinion doesn't necessarily mean very much, but still, the score currently is:

DoS: 1
PtB: 0

;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

The last line. Cracked me! :rofl:
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Still 8.99999 innings to go. ;)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

No new tweets?

I was not very excited on seeing that first tweet. "I did like the movie" is pretty general I think.
Voronwë the Faithful

Not only have I not seen any new tweets, but the thread about it at TORN disappeared. Ataira (one of their admins) did write this:
several people from TORn have seen the movie and their reactions so far are very positive.
That doesn't mean very much, although some of the TORn staffers posted less than positive reviews of AUJ.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Agreed. Even though she's under an NDA, a more superlative comment would have been more encouraging.

See, V? I can even rake muck out of positive comments!

As such, we must modify the score:

DOS: 1
PtB: 1

:banana:
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Geez PtB. You are still competing with AUJ? DOS is ahead!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Were you mentioning this thread on TORN?

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... t=98139279
Passdagas the Brown

Smaug's voice wrote:Geez PtB. You are still competing with AUJ? DOS is ahead!
Oops. Edited to DOS! No, no. My game against AUJ is over, and the score wasn't pretty for Peter Jackson.

AUJ: 3
PtB: 27

An embarrassing blowout, to say the least!
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is a Chinese blog, with very positive comments about the film (so far as I can tell with Google translate):

http://www.weibo.com/lazycatlovemovie
Passdagas the Brown

From the google translation of the Chinese blog:
[The Hobbit2] is definitely the year's most seductive movie
Tauriel and Kili love scene, baby! :banana:
Voronwë the Faithful

Did you ingest too much mead this Thanksgiving weekend?
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Here is a Chinese blog, with very positive comments about the film (so far as I can tell with Google translate):

http://www.weibo.com/lazycatlovemovie
This is what I got on google-translating it:
Advantages (see above) also said after finished under shortcomings, Hobbit2 not no urine points to escape from the country experiencing human spirit quite boring part, fiery words to speak a little more slowly because of the way I feel a bit hypnotic. Addition of most of the time outside of the rhythm is more compact than part One, and the scenes and more action scenes and more, especially the monster (mainly spiders) is still the most skilful part of Peter Jackson. compared to other films spiders are weak burst [smirked]

(Continued) About Hobbit2: 1 foreshadowing last episode did a much better rhythm, especially in the first half of a wonderful thrill to take a particularly dwarf water barrels to flee fighting action design that field just absolutely great applause from the audience! , elven prince handsome dwarf turned his head to do battle! 2 Goblin King spoke little but your mother really too beautiful appearance, from the crown to have a close-up clothing and even eye lashes, women are jealous of [xkl Dada like] three female wizard is upstage

It is said that the film will be released in February next year, Chinese people have to look at 3D! Also maybe it is looking for a roll-fu dragon afraid to voice his Qucai waste, poor referral dragon well, ah, since it has been met with Bilbo said forever, then really more [hee hee] but also there is always flirting mean estimate is a lonely man, They too have the kind of volume Welford Brief Encounter Watson finally found confidant to catch the foot [laughing]

[The Hobbit2] (A) is definitely the year's most seductive movie, scene design Perfect picky, action cleverly designed, and in the end both viewing spiders than Lord of the Rings in the applause whistles [ppb applause] spider and dragon excellent special effects, and more lifelike movement faster violent, see so excited; small Levin is pulling the wind farm has several action scenes [j come on] his father wizard Mrs Wong Mei, shining golden hair supple touch people have the urge to have a [j coquetry ]. finally found the rhythm of the Lord of the Rings
:? :? :?

Could someone decipher that for me?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Round up of Tweets on TORn:
Credit goes to Daemoon, Arannir, Thorin's Oakenshield and Estel78 for digging these up!

"I did like the movie! Great acting! Good action! The movie really moved."

A Chinese blogger has seen the movie, she said its way better than AUJ, gave it an A.
"Excellent action scenes designing, good pace, stunning VFX, most beautiful movie of the year."
http://weibo.com/lazycatlovemovie her weibo page(Chinese social networks)

Action packed, looked amazing, interesting plot departures, ended on cliffhanger.

And from someone who didn't enjoy AUJ:

@Hendyhendel: Saw HOBBIT this weekend. Believe it: absolute masterpiece. Best of the LOTR series. Stunning. STUNNING.

@Hendyhendel: @somebadideas @JimJarmuschHair ROTK is the best, though Two Towers has killer moments & FOTR is the most fun. 1st HOBBIT = way dull.
So...cliff-hanger ending confirmed?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

The cliffhanger comment appears to come from someone named Steven Bailey, an actor. Anyone know anything about him?

Here is one from someone named Courtney Lindsey that is the most positive yet:

https://twitter.com/courtneylindsay/sta ... 7184575488
Passdagas the Brown

That look on her face really convinces me that she's a credible reviewer, too! ;)

Nonetheless, I feel that at this point last year, we were already getting inklings of trouble. The lack of that (and very positive opinions from people who didn't like AUJ) could be a good sign.

We shall see!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I think that even with all other things being equal (and they aren't), Desolation is better positioned for good reviews than Journey was. Last year, the story the public was poised to hear was something like "Lighting really doesn't strike twice! There's that Lucas effect again!" etc. This year the climate is much more amenable for something along the lines of "After a slow start, Middle Earth is back!" That's the story reporters will want to tell, and I think if the material supports it at all, they will.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Reasons why I feel DOS will be better reviewed than AUJ:

-Does not have a slow start.
-There's more than orcs that provide the action.
-Elves
-Lots of new and interesting characters
-Smaug
-Shore's score

Factors that could drag down DOS easily if overdone:

-"weak" and dumb orcs
-Cliffhanger with not a very satisfying conclusion
-The whole Legolas-Tauriel thingy could end up too cheesy.
-Too much foreboding of the events from LotR
-Azog
Voronwë the Faithful

And, on cue, the first less than positive twitter comment tracks your first negative bullet point:
"The orcs in Hobbit are really the most incompetent army since the Iraqis"
https://twitter.com/benfritz
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Oh no, my comment came alive! Why did I say that? :bawl: