Viola organista

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Viola organista

Post by Impenitent »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3py3Ap8_Y#t=108

An instrument combining a piano and cello has finally been played to an audience more than 500 years after it was dreamt up Leonardo da Vinci.

A very interesting sound!

Not sure if you can access the story, as it's on The Age website: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/ ... 2xpqs.html
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

They needed to take video of the inside!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

It's all right there - look at the still picture, then look at the close ups that are in the video, at 9:27. From the keys back you have the tuning pins, then the bridge, then the mechanism to pull each string down individually, and dampen it when not in use, then the four red spinning disks which appear to be steel rimmed but evidently have some horsehair on their rim. And beyond that, the bridges for the other ends of the strings. As the key is pushed down, the string pushes down on the spinning rim.

Or you can just look at a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9c76V4RDE
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So, basically, a highly evolved hurdy-gurdy. Very appropriate that it should be made in Poland.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I suspect this design by da Vinci predates the hurdy gurdy, doesn't it?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

The hurdy gurdy has one generally one string, the length of which is determined as it is played, so only one note can sound at a time. The viola organista has a full set of fixed strings, and you can play as many as you like at a time.

Horn:organ::hurdy gurdy:viola organista

I'm seriously geeking out on this. Did I ever mention the time I built a clavichord?
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impish, I think it's likely that gurdy goes back to before Da Vinci's time. Wiki mentions references to 10th century texts describing similar instruments.

narya, do tell about the clavichord! My favorite thing about having a piano in the house was opening the lid and watching all the little hammers jump. And a hurdy can have multiple strings, both drone and melody.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Narya, I never knew you made a clavichord! Do you still have it?

There's a museum of keyboard instruments in St. Cecilia's Hall in Edinburgh - it's a must-see for any musical geek.