The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you, Frelgita! :foryou:
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun are now both available for Kindle.

Mentioning on the off-chance that Hoffers exist who may not consider this a blasphemy. *ducks and runs*
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I get the feeling I'm talking to myself a little here, but what the heck - in case there are some silent readers of this, Amazon has a series of Kurt Vonnegut books for $1.99 each today in honour of his birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 91&ie=UTF8
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I always check out this thread when it lights up! I get the Kindle daily deal emails, and sometimes glance at them and toss them. I did today (this is the third or fourth time Slaughterhouse-Five has come around), so your post here is the first I've heard that there are more Vonnegut titles available.

Also, it's good to get jogged when something especially interesting is on offer. I come here and post when something I'm excited about is included in the deal.

(As for Vonnegut, I've read five or six of his books and he wore me out, alas.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I always check this thread, too. And occasionally contribute. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Vonnegut is rather intense. ;)

Thanks for the cooee, Prim and Frelgita.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I always check this thread when it lights up to, even though I never say anything. Your updates are always appreciated, Impish.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

I check too, Imp, now that I've been converted to the Kindle fraternity. :)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I mentioned this over in Bag End, but it seemed apropos: Amazon suggested I might be interested in the anthology my short story appears in. Very thoughtful of them. :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I get that all the time with my book; at least a dozen times, maybe more. I both chuckle and roll my eyes every time.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Linky?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

To the anthology at Amazon?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yes.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

$1.99 on Kindle today, Night Train to Memphis, a Vicky Bliss mystery by Elizabeth Peters, the author of Amelia Peabody series. Vicky is the modern day Amelia with her own Master Criminal nemesis/sometimes partner, although the stories tend to be more lightweight.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH3DB
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

There are a huge number of Kindle books on sale today (probably to bring in people who unwrapped their first Kindles yesterday). As an example, 200 romance books including well over a dozen Georgette Heyer Regencies for $1.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 51&ie=UTF8

Click around! And although these are U.S. deals, I would be surprised if there weren't a similar sale on other iterations of Amazon.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Some pretty good books in the DotD today, including Gaiman, Bradbury, and every Miss Marple story in a set.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/? ... ws_1178-20

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Impenitent »

My Kindle died. :wimper:

My original keyboard Kindle.

I'm reading on my phone. It works; it's words stringing together into a story, but I don't like it. Too small.

I've ordered the new paperwhite with inbuilt light source and all kinds of new techno bells and whistles (contextual dictionary...not sure what that means). It will be here (so they say) on Friday.

But it will never be the same.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sympathies, Impy! :(

My Kindle is the keyboard one, too. Three years and counting. My dad and Mr. Prim both have the Paperwhite and love it. It's small and tidy, and you can read in poor light, and the touchscreen is something the Kindle really needed from the start. The little cursor keys and slow scrolling are not my favorite feature of this device.

But I will miss my big old physical keyboard when it goes. Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I like it when keyboards are large enough to use and give some physical feedback when you type.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Need a new Kindle? Look no further: