Take me out to the ballgame!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We knew we were coming east at the right time, so we got tickets at the beginning of the playoffs on the hope that they would make it. Definitely not cheap, but nothing like what they are going for now.

I would try to look you up, but we are literally shipping off to Boston for the game, then Beth is going to north to Maine and I am going south to NY early the next morning.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Very cool news, V-man. Have a great time!

Go Cards
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Anything that SF cannot win, Boston should win. Applying that common-sense logical principle, go Sox!!!!
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Just dropping in to say hi to nel, and happy travels to Sir V.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

axordil wrote:Go Cards
Just to give equal bidding. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have a mild preference for the Sox, but really I would just like some entertaining baseball. Like the last game of ALCS. Prince Fielder flopping down and being tagged on the bum was one of the funniest sports moments I've ever seen.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

In an effort to maintain momentum, and not at all to appear haughty or coarse.....

GO FREAKING SOXXXXXXX!!!!!

Okay fine I am haughty and coarse, but the Sox shouldn't suffer because of that.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I am rooting for the Cardinals. My BFF is from St. Louis and is a fan, and we have another very good friend who is a Cards fan. I know no Sox fans (IRL), so, by default, I am rooting for the Cardinals.*

:woohoo:

*This is my hierarchy: Indians, Reds, and then whoever matters to people I'm close to. I think it's pretty logical.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

There have been some wild and wooly ballgames, and the Series has been a lot of fun.
Just won (sic) more. :)
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I should have "quotated" (sublime Arlo Guthrie reference) "wild and wooly", which was a staple of Ned Martin's Red Sox broadcasts back in the day.
Ned is to me what Vin Scully is to Dodger fans.

Ned was an interesting guy, but more than that he was a guy you wanted to know, a guy that was a part of you, and a guy that many considered an uncle or close relative. He was a guy that was well loved in Red Sox Nation, and if I wish anything, I would wish he were still around for 2004 and 2007, and I wish he were broadcasting this series.

Just in case anyone is interested in his profile, there is a sparse one on Wikipedia. It doesn't detail his years serving in WWII or his early life, but it gives a base account of his years in the Sox booth.

A small sample of his work quoted from Wiki;
he called the entire career of Hall-of-Famer Carl Yastrzemski, and was behind the microphone for some of baseball's most memorable moments, including the final win of the Red Sox "Impossible Dream" season of 1967, Carlton Fisk's game-winning home run off the foul pole in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, Yastrzemski's 400th home run and 3000th base hit in 1979, and Roger Clemens' first 20-strikeout game on April 29, 1986.

He may hold the distinction of having seen more Red Sox games in person than any other person, having spent 31 entire seasons with the club's broadcast team, which meant he saw more than 5,000 Red Sox games.
I think Ned would have enjoyed this series, this team and especially David Ross.

I would give anything to be able to listen to Ned Martin, Ken Coleman, and Johnny Pesky call this series.

Mercy!!

Go Sox!!!!
Voronwë the Faithful

I have tickets to Game 7. If there is a Game 7. Needless to say, I hope there isn't, but wow, if there is, it is going to be wild!

Edit to add: I have been quite surprised at how much positive reaction I have gotten to my Red Sox gear here in New York. Not as surprised at the negative reactions. More poor Dad has had to balance his happiness for me with his lifelong Yankee induced venom against the Sox.

Oh, and one more thing: 2.017 (I'll bet Holby knows what that means).
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

You couldn't pay me enough money to go to game 7 on Halloween in Boston.
Not no way, not no how.

I wouldn't want to be a cop in Boston this week. Oy.
Voronwë the Faithful

Did you see my edit? Do you know what that number is?
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Allow me please to qualify that last post. It came across harsher than I intended.

Of course it would be great to have tickets to game seven in Boston, a place that hasn't seen a clinching game in 95 years. That would an astounding, and you can bet that is an event for the ages.

Mainly what I was getting at, is that I no longer have the energy or drive to sustain an event of such proportions. Sure I would love to be front row, center stage for a Led Zeppelin concert, but I am no longer willing to expend the effort. And there is effort when it comes to "events" like this. It's no longer just a ball game, and the atmosphere this year has been altered by external forces.

I know a number of people that will be attending game six and or game seven and I envy them in some ways, but my drothers will leave me at home.

I reserve the right to change my mind though. If I get a call offering me a seat, I just may possess enough temerity to brave the wilds of Landsdowne St, collidge students and traffick. :)
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

OPS? :D
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The last time the Red Sox won it all in Boston was with a victory over the Chicago Cubs on Sept. 11, 1918.
:shock:
Voronwë the Faithful

Holbytla wrote:OPS? :D
Yup, specifically, that of David Ortiz. He is batting .733. The rest of the team is batting .144.

1918 was a long time ago. Needless to say!
Voronwë the Faithful

The road to redemption is complete.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Congratulations to Ortiz and the hobos he got there. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks.

The Cards certainly have a very bright future!