The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

My favorite Stephenson is ANATHEM, the first two-thirds of which I loved with a deep and abiding (but also logical and geometric) passion.
:D
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

2001: A Space Odyssey available on Amazon for $1.99 at the mo.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANA27IU/?tag=afbmc-20
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On Basilisk Station, a Honor Harrington novel is free on Kindle. I'm not sure if this is a limited time deal.

I've heard the name, so I got it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

i got it too! The blurb sounds intriguing. Also... "At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (DRM Rights Management)."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw that, Impish! Go them. :thumbsup:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've read several and they weren't my cup of tea in the end, but my older son absolutely loves them. And in principle it's great—military space opera with a strong female protagonist.

I went and got this one because I'm willing to give it another chance. Especially for $0.00. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just bought it!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I just got it... even though I've already listened to the audiobook. I've just started reading kindle books on my phone and can't resist a freebie.

I didn't much care for the book, mind you. The story was bogged down with too many details of military bureaucracy for my taste. That and her dithering over decisions and failing to provide adequate leadership kind of ruined the tale for me.

We actually bought the sequel, but haven't listened to it yet. It's been in that status for months now. :help: Just can't bear to drop into that world again so soon.

*sigh*
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Good Omens are 2.99 on Google Books.

https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... vBtJRvMm4C

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

On Amazon for $2.99: The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JTHXZY/?tag=afbmc-20

I honestly have no idea if this is any good, but the blurb sounds intriguing, and I simply enjoy books that talk about science and scientists.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

My Spiritual Journey by the Dalai Lama is available for kindle from Amazon for $3. I'm posting from my phone, which poses a devilish hsrd problem for me in posting links, but if you're interested you can find it easily on the Amazon site.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution, Richard Dawkins, for $2.99.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LVVCQM/?tag=afbmc-20

"... a fierce counterattack against proponents of "Intelligent Design"... "Intelligent Design" is being taught in our schools; educators are being asked to "teach the controversy" behind evolutionary theory. There is no controversy. Dawkins sifts through rich layers of scientific evidence—from living examples of natural selection to clues in the fossil record; from natural clocks that mark the vast epochs wherein evolution ran its course to the intricacies of developing embryos; from plate tectonics to molecular genetics—to make the airtight case that "we find ourselves perched on one tiny twig in the midst of a blossoming and flourishing tree of life and it is no accident, but the direct consequence of evolution by non-random selection."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Bruce [Kindle Edition] by Peter Ames Carlin for $2.99

Biography of Bruce Springsteen written with his cooperation; interviews of family, band (including Clarence Clemons in his last major interview)

Disclaimer: I have no idea who any of these people are, but I thought perhaps there may be Springsteen fans here who may be interested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EDOL92/?tag=afbmc-20
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Today's U.S. Kindle Daily Deal includes 5 Discworld books for $1.99 each. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is one of them Wyrd Sisters by any chance?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Al, not that I recall. But Mort is.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

ATTENTION!!! :shock:

The Anne of Green Gables collection of 12 books is now available for 99c on kindle!

Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams, Rainbow Valley, Rilla of Ingleside, Chronicles of Avonlea, PLUS MORE!

Get it while it lasts!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q4DC4O/?tag=afbmc-20
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Also all of the Oz books (14) for 99c...

I think you can get all of these for free, but the 99c version has links and stuff that are nice.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

"How green was my valley" by Richard Llewellyn is currently available for Kindle for $1.99

A memorable book that I thoroughly recommend.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

$1.99 Terry Pratchett's recent collaboration with Stephen Baxter, Long Earth and Long War, and Discworld latest Snuff. Possibly US only.
http://www.amazon.com/Long-War-Earth-eb ... e+long+war