A question on a script

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

A question on a script

Post by Alatar »

Guys, I'm currently in rehearsal for Oklahoma, playing Jud Fry again, and there's a line that's been bugging me.

" Last time I saw you alone, it was winter, with the snow six inches deep in drifts when I was sick. You brung me that hot soup out to the smoke house and give it to me, and me in bed"

It just seems wrong to refer to snow six inches deep as "drifts". Should that be six feet? Or is it more that Oklahoma doesn't get much snow, so six inches would be considered drifting?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Are you playing Judd?

Oklahoma is one of my favorite musicals...and it is the Musical that defined the American musical for years to come.

Anyway...I never thought much about that line. But 6 inches of snow CAN drift, certainly, especially if there is wind. I have a book with the original script....I will check it now....

ETA: yep....it says "6 inches deep".
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's weird, though, because you wouldn't normally talk about 6 inches of snow drifting. That's not very much. :scratch:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I agree, unless that is the point of the line (e.g., that people in Oklahoma aren't used to snow). Having lived for eight years in Washington, D.C., where the whole city went into a panic at so much as a dusting of snow, I have some sympathy to the idea of rolling my eyes at people freaking out at a small amount of snow.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Actually (now remember I'm from Canada) in flat rural areas, six inches of blowing snow can make some pretty deep drifts, usually exactly where you don't want them.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

All I can add is that the lines are original to Lynn Riggs "Green Grow the Lilacs", on which Oklahoma! was based...

ETA: Bearing in mind the story is set in a rural 1900, a 6 in (15 cm) snowstorm will make some unplowed roads impassable, according to Wikipedia
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Cool! Thanks guys. And yeah, I'm playing the bullet coloured growly man :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

What a great role. :love: I love that musical. I was in the pit orchestra when my university put it on. You know it's a great musical when after weeks of rehearsal, you still aren't tired of the music.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:Bearing in mind the story is set in a rural 1900, a 6 in (15 cm) snowstorm will make some unplowed roads impassable, according to Wikipedia
But there is a big difference between a six inch snowstorm, and six inch drifts. In a six inch snowstorm, you would expect drifts of several feet at least.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Elentári wrote:Bearing in mind the story is set in a rural 1900, a 6 in (15 cm) snowstorm will make some unplowed roads impassable, according to Wikipedia
But there is a big difference between a six inch snowstorm, and six inch drifts. In a six inch snowstorm, you would expect drifts of several feet at least.
Oh well, pardon my ignorance...I thought the number of inches referred to the amount of snow that has laid. Image
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just watching the 1999 production with Hugh Jackman last night, and Shuler Hensley changed the dialog to "six feet deep".

Here's me an Laurey at the Press Launch:

Voronwë the Faithful

Great pic; you sure have her looking terrified!

Elen, my understanding has always been that six inches of snowfall refers to the amount that consistently covers the ground, whereas drifts are where the wind blows and snow gathers in considerably higher amounts.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

< edit to save bandwidth >

Wow, I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of that guy.
Last edited by SirDennis on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Love it! :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Laurey don't seem too fond of bein' in your grip.

I'd love to see this. Your singing voice can be so dark, and that's perfect for Jud.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

That pic makes all the self defense moves I learned in a long ago Kung Fu class run through my head. The ones about what to do when someone grabs you from behind. :help:

The sequence was: jump into a squat to pull them off balance, twist a bit and land an elbow in the solar plexus and then send a fist to the groin. Then as they bend over, jab eyes with fingers and run.

We practiced it so much that I suspect it will be a preprogrammed sequence in my brain forever after. Except I think I'd balk at the eye part now. Maiming someone for life might be a bit much.

Anyway, that's what that picture brings to mind.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Might ruin the play too...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ooohhhhhhh-kla-h...er, well. That escalated quickly.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Alatar wrote:Might ruin the play too...
:rofl:
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

That escalated quickly.
Like the "Viking Hamlet" some friends of mine did once. Got all the way to the scene in the Throne Room, and as soon as Claudius addresses Hamlet, the prince yells "You killed my father," hacks his skull in two with an ax, and storms off. A few beats later, Ophelia goes "Long live King Hamlet?" and everyone cheers.