Were all orcs evil?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cerin wrote:
Alatar wrote:If we were to take the route of the "animated body", then I would argue that while Melkor might have been capable of that, Sauron would certainly not.
I think the idea there is that this was only done in the very beginning, but that after that, these creatures were able to breed. So that only Melkor would have had to be able to achieve that dastardly separation of fëa from the body, that gave rise to the first of these creatures.
Yes, that is the idea.
Alatar wrote:I see the thinking behind it, but I find it a stretch.
I agree. As I've already admitted, I excel at mental yoga. :upsidedown:

I should point out that my idea requires a radical rethinking of Morgoth's power. As Finrod states in the Athrabeth
But never even in the night have we believed that [Melkor] could prevail against the Children of Eru. This one he might cozen, or that one he might corrupt; but to change the doom of a whole people of the Children, to rob them of their inheritance; if he could do that in Eru's despite, then greater and more terrible is he by far than we guessed ...
Finrod was, of course, talking about Man's mortality, not the creation of the Orcs, but still, the point remains. For him to have had the ability to change the fate of a portion of the Children of Eru is unfathomable.

Unless even the creation of the Orcs were part of Eru's plan.

Elflover, I like your idea, and I think Tolkien would have liked it too.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: I agree. As I've already admitted, I excel at mental yoga. :upsidedown:
Quite the contortionist.
I should point out that my idea requires a radical rethinking of Morgoth's power. As Finrod states in the Athrabeth
But never even in the night have we believed that [Melkor] could prevail against the Children of Eru. This one he might cozen, or that one he might corrupt; but to change the doom of a whole people of the Children, to rob them of their inheritance; if he could do that in Eru's despite, then greater and more terrible is he by far than we guessed ...
Finrod was, of course, talking about Man's mortality, not the creation of the Orcs, but still, the point remains. For him to have had the ability to change the fate of a portion of the Children of Eru is unfathomable.

But Voronwë, in the Athrabeth thread when we discussed 'The Tale of Adenel' you distinctly said ...

But as I pointed out earlier, the Tale is most definitively not part of the Athrabeth. I think that is of critical importance. The Athrabeth, like most of the the stores of the Elder Days, is very much a part of Eldarin lore, infused with the wisdom and greater understanding of the first born. The Tale of Adanel, on the other hand, is not at all part of that lore. Tolkien makes it very clear that in contrast to the the Athrabeth itself (not to mention the Quenta Silmarillion, the Valaquenta, the Ainulindalë, and even the Akallabêth, this tale is part of the lore of men. It is not meant to be taken as "truth" as in a true depiction of what Eru did to mankind, but rather as a glimpse into how mankind was led astray the result of, as Tolkien put it in the Silmarillion, how "Melkor has cast his shadow upon it [the Gift of Death], and confounded it with darkness, and brought forth evil out of good, and fear out of hope."

To put it another, perhaps more succinct way, the Tale isn't meant to show what really happened, it is meant to show how Man's perspective about what really happened got warped.

A contradiction, no?
On the one hand you state that the tale is not factual ... and on the other, you say it is proof that if Melkor had the power to change the fate of Men then he must therefore have had the power to separate fëa from hröa and go on to breed these souless creatures in the millions.

So which is it?

And by the by, if Melkor could change the fate of Men ... death could hardly be considered a gift now could it? Besides, if Men were intended to be immortal they would be .... Elves!
Unless even the creation of the Orcs were part of Eru's plan.
No, they were an ill-thought out part of Tolkien's plan. He needed bad guys to be the minions of Morgoth and Sauron and he didn't think through the consequences of personalized evil with Elven roots.

Let's face it. Trying to rationalize Orcs is futile. Unless you enjoy the exercise for its own sake :D The concept can withstand only so much mental gymnastics before it collapses upon itself.

Tolkien made a mistake.

:llama:

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

What Sass said. :llama:

The steadfast mariner is being particularly shiny today, isn't he? 8)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Sassafras wrote:A contradiction, no?
On the one hand you state that the tale is not factual ... and on the other, you say it is proof that if Melkor had the power to change the fate of Men then he must therefore have had the power to separate fëa from hröa and go on to breed these souless creatures in the millions.

So which is it?
You misunderstand me, Sass. Nothing that I have said in this thread has anything to do with the Tale of Adenel.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

In my opinion yes Tolkien made a mistake and then tried to cover it up. I would just like to make sure: All orcs had to be evil right?
Parmamaite

Post by Parmamaite »

Excellent theory Voronwë! I don't believe it for a second, but it's extremely eloquent! :thumbsup:

Well, I might believe it if we could clear up a few details.

Can Saruman's breeding project be reconciled with your theory? - And I don't buy that it's just rumours.

Why does the separated fëar of elves who became orcs need to be kept in Mandos indefenitely? I simply can't think of any way that will help against more re-animations. Or do I read you wrong?
As for Sassy's final quote, I don't see anything there that is an obstacle to this explanation. If these former Elves were mated with Men, it must have been Men who similarly had been stripped of their fëar (and beasts never had fëar in the first place). As for them going to Mandos and held in prison until the End when they died, that sounds like a reasonable precaution to prevent Melkor from re-animating them and causing even more mischief.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<loathesome theory alert>

It wouldn't actually be necessary for the Men Saruman crossed with Orcs to have lost their fëar—it would not have been necessary for them to be consenting participants. If the Men were women.

I do not think Tolkien went this far in his imagination, but it makes a horrible kind of sense.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Yes but then would the offsring have fëar or not? And please don't start with that half a fëar thing.
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Primula_Baggins wrote:<loathesome theory alert>

It wouldn't actually be necessary for the Men Saruman crossed with Orcs to have lost their fëar—it would not have been necessary for them to be consenting participants. If the Men were women.

I do not think Tolkien went this far in his imagination, but it makes a horrible kind of sense.
Oh! Oh! Oh!

The horror! The horror!

*expires*

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

Yes.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wow. I thought she was tougher than that. :scratch:

I don't know enough about fëar to theorize, superwizard.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, we know that orcs aren't fearless, so that shoots that theory in the foot.

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm going to follow you around with a salmon, I am. :x
Voronwë the Faithful

Parmamaite wrote:Excellent theory Voronwë! I don't believe it for a second, but it's extremely eloquent!
Thanks Parma. High praise!

I don't believe for a second either, but it sure was fun. =:)
Parmamaite

Post by Parmamaite »

:rofl:

Were you just having us on? - wicked!
Queen_Beruthiel

Post by Queen_Beruthiel »

My take on this is that, in creating the orcs, Tolkien tried to reconcile two very different approaches to story-telling.

The first is the ancient mode, in which the enemy of Man is the Other, a monster, usually a mythical critter like the Minotaur, or a troll. The Other is a soulless beast, so no need for the story-teller to fret about the morality of the hero killing said beastie (think: Beowulf).

The second, humanistic, mode has a real human antagonist, not a monster but a man, who commits evil through free will and has a soul to lose (think one of Dostoyevsky's villains).

The orcs fit into the first category and Gollum and Saruman into the second.

I'm not sure that I've explained that very well...... :scratch:
Evil Queen of Gondor
Voronwë the Faithful

Parmamaite wrote::rofl:

Were you just having us on? - wicked!
Well, not exactly, but I have to admit it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Scrutiny is what we do best, don't you know.

:D

I give you an 'A' for effort, Voronwë. Nice try.
Preposterous theory, but entertaining nontheless.

Certainly had me going for the duration.

:help:

Yes.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Maybe I'll steal the idea for something else. :twisted:
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Very good V. I mean so far it has been the best idea suggested IMHO so bravo!!!
PS:I just can't help remarking about your avatar I tried not mentioning it but I just can't help it. I must say it looks very nice and very cool
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I'm with Ax and Elflover over this. I am seeing theological contortions purely to justify the withholding of mercy from orcs. Just because the societies in Middle Earth behaved a certain way due to their history and culture and physical necessity doesn't make it right. I am sure that any protagonist in LOTR finding an orc colony would have killed females, children and the elderly without a second thought. Should we do so still today?
I see orcs as humanoid primates with conscious thought and an awareness of right and wrong. I can see that untold generations of breeding that weeded out compassion and collaboration and that encouraged a culture of hate and violence would create an orc race. But without souls, beyond redemption or good? No.