Galadriel the Political Manipulator

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Galadriel the Political Manipulator

Post by Alatar »

Good article by Demosthenes over on TORN

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/12 ... dle-earth/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's a good article, and consistent with how I felt Galadriel was presented in the film.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

First let me have a little geek out moment, that I, and millions of others, are reading a blog about politics by Demosthenes, just as Orson Scott Card predicted they would, back in 1985, in Ender's Game, before there were blogs, or a WWW that everyone was plugged into, and it seemed so far fetched. :D

But back to the point of the blog - that Galadriel sought a power base in Middle Earth. When I think of traditional power bases here on modern earth, I think of the guys with the bigger armies and the better guns being the guys with power. Yes, there was a great wars in the earlier ages, but by the Third Age, Rivendell and Lórien looked like spa retreats. Traditional power bases also tend to be the ones with natural resources to exploit. I saw no evidence, in books or movies, of food crops, fiber crops, ranching, mining, transportation, energy production, or any other means of gaining material goods for the citizens or for export. Perhaps they got their dollars from ecotourism. :P
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's true, the elves always do come off a bit like the lilies of the field. You never see them producing anything one actually needs to live. Like food.

Men, dwarves and hobbits all have at least some sort of economy going. Even orcs had the slave-maintained farms in the scenic southwestern corner of Mordor. Elves? No visible means of support.

Mana from heaven?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thousand-year juice cleanses.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I guess all the lembas does tend to bind things up over the eons...
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The elves have had eons to attain knowledge and physical prowess without the worry of aging or becoming ill. Imagine what you could accomplish with 10,000 centuries at your disposal. You would have at least mastered life's mundane chores and had time enough to learn to walk over snow to boot.