Fan Reaction to The Hobbit [Now with SPOILERS!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
SirDennis

Fan Reaction to The Hobbit [Now with SPOILERS!]

Post by SirDennis »

[Note: I split this off from the thread about critical reaction to The Hobbit - VtF]

I'm fairly committed to not seeing TH:AUJ, at the theatre at least. But who knows, I might cave to curiosity.

Something troubling about fan reaction to the bits and pieces of reviews so far is many seem to have decided that any "negative" critique or comments about any aspect of the film are either outright lies, or are driven by some sort of agenda. In a way the phenomenon sort of reminds me of those who threw their lot in with Harold Camping going so far as denying what they believed to be true of the scriptures (ie no one knows the day or the hour...)

I want to ask a question of some fans, but I don't know if it's really fair or fruitful for me to do so: If you see the Hobbit, especially in PJ's preferred format, and don't like it, would you tell anyone?
Last edited by SirDennis on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

If I don't like it, I will say so, fwiw.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

SirDennis wrote:I'm fairly committed to not seeing TH:AUJ, at the theatre at least. But who knows, I might cave to curiosity.

Something troubling about fan reaction to the bits and pieces of reviews so far is many seem to have decided that any "negative" critique or comments about any aspect of the film are either outright lies, or are driven by some sort of agenda. In a way the phenomenon sort of reminds me of those who threw their lot in with Harold Camping going so far as denying what they believed to be true of the scriptures (ie no one knows the day or the hour...)

I want to ask a question of some fans, but I don't know if it's really fair or fruitful for me to do so: If you see the Hobbit, especially in PJ's preferred format, and don't like it, would you tell anyone?
I imagine you don't need to know my answer to your question. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think you should be able to divine my response to this from my puzzled response to Lali's post above, when I had not realized that she was responding to something that you had written. But I'll be more explicit.

There is not a single person who posts at this site that I expect will post anything other than a completely honest opinion. I can't imagine why anyone would even want to do anything different than that. Beyond that, I can't really say anything else without violating the self-imposed prohibition that we have here against I and the other Marshals discussing other messageboards. But I'll stretch that a little to say that I wish, Sir Dennis, that you had had the opportunity to experience the only Movies (m00bies) forum at TORC. Had you done so, I don't think you would be asking a question like that.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
I think you should be able to divine my response to this from my puzzled response to Lali's post above, when I had not realized that she was responding to something that you had written. But I'll be more explicit.

There is not a single person who posts at this site that I expect will post anything other than a completely honest opinion. I can't imagine why anyone would even want to do anything different than that. Beyond that, I can't really say anything else without violating the self-imposed prohibition that we have here against I and the other Marshals discussing other messageboards. But I'll stretch that a little to say that I wish, Sir Dennis, that you had had the opportunity to experience the only Movies (m00bies) forum at TORC. Had you done so, I don't think you would be asking a question like that.

Edited to add: I also am not sure what the question has to do with the subject of this thread.
Agreed. Sir Dennis, I think your experience at a certain website has certainly colored your view of Tolkien fandom. If only you were around for the allegedly epic debates at TORC! :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

SirDennis wrote:Something troubling about fan reaction to the bits and pieces of reviews so far is many seem to have decided that any "negative" critique or comments about any aspect of the film are either outright lies, or are driven by some sort of agenda.
This is indeed an irritating aspect of fandom - all or most fandoms, not just Tolkien movie fandom. I don't remember so much of this first time round, maybe because the critical reception of the LotR films was generally so positive, or maybe because some of the more negative reviews of PJ's LotR also made snide comments about the source material! Which would obviously anger Tolkien fans.
Yes. Why wouldn't I?
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'd argue about that "allegedly," SA, but as an admin, I can't.

And that's as close to the line as I'll step, Voronwë. :blackeye:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Yes, sorry for the digression in the other thread... I mentioned that it might not be fair or fruitful to ask such a question! I'm sure everyone here will post exactly what they think about the films as they do on every other topic under discussion. :love:

ETA: In case it's not clear, I would not have asked that question here! There is no need to as far as I can tell.
Last edited by SirDennis on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Primula Baggins wrote:I'd argue about that "allegedly," SA, but as an admin, I can't.

My use of the word "allegedly" is not entirely serious. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

SirDennis wrote:Yes, sorry for the digression in the other thread... I mentioned that it might not be fair or fruitful to ask such a question! I'm sure everyone here will post exactly what they think about the films as they do on every other topic under discussion. :love:
It was a good and provocative question. I just thought it should be quickly separate from the other topic. People here will tell you that I can be pretty OCD about stuff like that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Well I have some demons to exorcise apparently, my apologies in advance.

In some corners of fandom (not here mind you) there is a prevailing sense that if you don't like an aspect of the films you should keep it to yourself or blame it on something outside the film maker's control or intent, lest you be lumped in with the naysayers. "The naysayers" in this case are people who always say something negative about everything or lie in order to stand out from the crowd. Yes lie because there is no way they could honestly not like this, that or the other aspect of a beloved director's creation.

Okay, with that off my chest, I eagerly await fan response.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote:I'd argue about that "allegedly," SA, but as an admin, I can't.

My use of the word "allegedly" is not entirely serious. :)
For some reason I suspected that was the case, SA. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I promise to be honest and unforgiving. I promise to quote people accurately and warmly.

This can't end well.
Voronwë the Faithful

:love:
Stranger Wings

Re: Fan Reaction to The Hobbit

Post by Stranger Wings »

SirDennis wrote:[Note: I split this off from the thread about critical reaction to The Hobbit - VtF]

I'm fairly committed to not seeing TH:AUJ, at the theatre at least. But who knows, I might cave to curiosity.

I missed this. You plan not to see it? Even if Michael Bay was directing, I simply couldn't help myself. I need to see how the Hobbit is treated, whether I expect it to be good, bad or ugly.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

I'm trying to be a conscientious objector for a variety of reasons... I'll let you know how that turns out. ;)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

(Sorry for any confusion, Voronwë. :) I should have quoted SirD's question in my response.)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:I missed this. You plan not to see it? Even if Michael Bay was directing, I simply couldn't help myself. I need to see how the Hobbit is treated, whether I expect it to be good, bad or ugly.
If Michael Bay was directing, I wouldn't go and see it. ;) And despite what the PJ-detractors may say, he is a whole lot better than Michael Bay! 8)

Although, having said that, I am less emotional about The Hobbit than I am about LotR ... so while I might grit my teeth to watch a Hobbit directed by Michael Bay, there is no way I could cope with a LotR directed by Michael Bay.

I disliked the Bakshi cartoon of LotR and switched it off after 30 minutes because I couldn't take any more of it. I found the portrayal of the Hobbits embarrassing!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Pearly Di wrote:
Shelob'sAppetite wrote:I missed this. You plan not to see it? Even if Michael Bay was directing, I simply couldn't help myself. I need to see how the Hobbit is treated, whether I expect it to be good, bad or ugly.
If Michael Bay was directing, I wouldn't go and see it. ;) And despite what the PJ-detractors may say, he is a whole lot better than Michael Bay! 8)

Although, having said that, I am less emotional about The Hobbit than I am about LotR ... so while I might grit my teeth to watch a Hobbit directed by Michael Bay, there is no way I could cope with a LotR directed by Michael Bay.

I disliked the Bakshi cartoon of LotR and switched it off after 30 minutes because I couldn't take any more of it. I found the portrayal of the Hobbits embarrassing!
I am more emotional this time around, because I heartily disliked LOTR, and feel that this is my last chance to see a good film set in Middle Earth.
Voronwë the Faithful

I hope you can enjoy the parts that you like, but I am quite confident that you will hate some of it.