General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Cool! 8)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I think he'd make an excellent elf. Or perhaps a Laketown newscaster. 8)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Elf, I think. I can't imagine him trying to break out of the background, not in a Tolkien film.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

New high resolution version of that recent image of Bolg, from Tolkiendrim...

http://www.tolkiendrim.com/visuel-de-bo ... esolution/

Confirming the description of him from the action figure packaging as "wearing the blood and bones of his victims" you can clearly see now how various body parts, beard and hair have been bolted/glued/stapled on!

A real Frankenstein freak!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Maybe Colbert will be Beorn's arch-nemesis? ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:rofl:

Elen, I am definitely glad that the "official 16-month calendar" I bought does not in fact include the Bolg image. Eyewww.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Perfect, kzer za. :D
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That is COOL about Colbert! 8) He must have been so excited!

Bolg is creepy. :neutral:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

New TV spot with a mix of stuff we have seen and a bit of new stuff:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101777833085066

I likey!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Enough with the teasing...we wants the movie now, Precious! :D
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I like that! Looks suitably Hobbity. More so than the full trailer.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Incredible New Hobbit Issue Of Empire: Five amazing 3D lenticular covers

In shops over here tomorrow... :D

ETA: Peter Jackson also reveals runtime of An Unexpected Journey in this special HOBBIT issue:
Those who have been fearing that the change from two films to three would result in less Bombur for your buck, fear no more: it's still an epic length.

“It’s looking like it’s going to be about ten minutes shorter than Fellowship was," explains Jackson. "So it’s going to be officially our shortest Middle Earth yet. I mean, Fellowship was just under three hours and this is about 2 hours 40 minutes at the moment.”

The "about" refers to the fact that the credits hadn't yet been added and not all effects shots finalised when we spoke to Jackson, but it's going to be close.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well...because it's kinda become a tradition for me (and 'cos I love you guys! :love: ) here are a few scans of the EMPIRE Hobbit Special...

Not the whole lot because there are "63 pages of Middle-earth Magic" but the two main articles, plus the contents page so you can see what you're missing! ;)

http://s574.photobucket.com/albums/ss19 ... 20Special/
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

So the spiders don't actually talk, but Bilbo can understand their spidery communication thanks to the ring. That's actually pretty clever.

And it sounds like we'll have a prologue at the Lonely Mountain. It's not what I would have done, but I'm not sure that's much of an argument against it. 8)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:kiss: for Elen!

I don't have time right now to play around with them to enlarge them so I can read the text. But I'll try again later.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Very cool info in there. Thanks Elen! (Which Lenticular cover did you get?)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I got the Galadriel cover, Al, but they were all available in various combinations in the 3 different local shops I visited at 9:30 am this morning. I did have to ask in the last shop I went to as no copies of the mag at all were out on display and I was beginning to think I wouldn't find it anywhere. Amazingly the guy went out the back and came back with a copy of the Galadriel cover in his hand!

Lali, I linked to the album as a whole for convenience, you just need to click once or twice on the image of each page and it should enlarge enough for you to read it.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Elen. You are a star (but then we already knew that!). Not surprisingly, the scans got linked over at TORN. Not much we can do about that, I don't think. If you wanted me to, I could ask that the link be removed, but I'm not sure that I would have a leg to stand on.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Thanks, Elen. You are a star.
Pun intended, I'm sure. :)

Thanks, Elen.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My pleasure! :)

As for TORn, yeah, well...I tried to be as circumspect as possible, and just point people in this direction, but the other thread got pushed off the page so it was only a matter of time, I guess. The previous scans didn't get removed so we'll just wait and see. It's not like I've put up the whole thing!
~Diana Cortes