Second Hobbit Trailer [SPOILERS!!!!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Second Hobbit Trailer [SPOILERS!!!!]

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Might as well start a separate thread about this now. The second Hobbit trailer has now been rated (as PG) at the Alberta Recently Classified Trailers site, and so should be out in a week or so. A rumour has been going around that it will be available online by 9/19, and I think that is a good bet, with it appearing in the theaters with films coming on on 9/21.

Excited to see it!
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Mmmm!! Can't wait! :drool:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Pssst. It might good to update your signature with the new version of the scroll showing the earlier end point.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I guess so...but it is a shame to give it the chop!! :P
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Upcoming Hobbit Trailer To Feature Epic Music From "Quantum"

From Immediate Music's news release:
We can't wait for the debut of the second Hobbit trailer! We can confirm that one of our Epic Dramatic Adventure pieces from Quantum will be featured in the upcoming trailer for Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. This classic will follow Bilbo Baggins as he journeys to the Lonely Mountain with a vigorous group of Dwarves. We are thrilled to be a part of Warner's marketing campaign for this series.
Immediate Music describe the music from their album "QUANTUM" as...
"... our edgiest and most modern Live Orchestra and Choir release yet... a combination of Epic Action and Drama making a grand debut as our most unique hybrid orchestral album for film trailers and advertising... loaded with layers of ground breaking sound design accompanied by dark, edgy guitar melodies combined with our signature sound of lush cyclical strings, huge swelling brass, and massive booming drums."

There is a demo version of the album on Youtube if anyone wants to taste a sample of their style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8h8O-7H4o

I have to say it is disappointing that we will apparently not be getting any new stuff from Howard Shore as yet...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, he is a little busy right now.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

As I recall the LOTR trailers generally lifted other music too, for the reason V-man notes.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's an extensive breakdown from the wonderful Magpie at TORN:
General Observations:
The first four 'trailers' for LOTR did not use any Shore music. (to see more precise names and/or designations of trailers vs teasers, see my site)

The FOTR tv spots (which were 30 seconds in length) - used individually (one song per spot) an asst of non-Shore music or the Dwarrowdelf Theme by Shore.

The 3:30 long TT Theatrical Preview tacked onto the end of FOTR in March 2002 used only Shore music.

The TT Teaser (July 2002) also used only Shore music.

The TT Trailer (Sept 2002) used an Shore music with Requiem for a Tower. There is other non-Shore music in there that has not been identified but is just general trailer-ish sounding music.

The TT tv spots use an asst of music from Shore, Ant Farm (Requiem for a Tower), and X-Ray Dog.

Ignoring the bit of music used in the ROTK Trailer 1 which people thought was from McKennit's Mystic's Dream but I'm positive is not, the ROTK trailer music was all from Shore except for that epic sounding Gondor Theme which was Shore's music mixed with 'Epicalypse' - music by folks from Ant Farm.

As I documented all this info, I came to believe that the earlier trailers/teasers use basic style trailer music because
A) Shore likely hadn't written much yet
B) Suits thought trailer style music sold more tickets than score type music (although many score pieces are used in trailers)

I thought that, as Shore wrote more music that could be used and Suits started realizing how popular Shore's music was, they used more of it for the trailers.

But this decision to use Immediate Music for an early trailer (in terms of how many we will see until the trilogy is over and done with) makes me rethink this assumption.

I think Shore has music that could be used. I think the Suits know (and it can be proven) how popular Shore's music is. So those reasons are not the ones influencing this decision.

So, here are some other ideas as to why they want to use non-Shore music. It will be interesting to track the use of Shore/non-Shore music in trailers over the entire journey.

Idea 1: The early trailers are intended to target people who aren't uber-fans of the books and/or movies. Uber-fans would be buying tickets now if they could. They don't need to be convinced. They are already excited. The don't need to be 'teased'. Perhaps there are beliefs or studies that show that the average movie going Jane/Joe responds to standard trailer style music well. It could also be that a certain demographic responds to standard trailer style music well and that demographic is being targeted. Some of the FOTR tv spots used urgent, heart pounding, or epic sounding music. Some used the Dwarrowdelf theme which is lyrical, inspiring, and heart tugging music. Surely those were intended for different demographics.

Idea 2: They don't want to reveal too much of the Hobbit score before the music is released. And they don't want to use too much of the LOTR score to fill in the corners left by not using Hobbit music. My general impression, although I'd have to go back and look more carefully at my notes, is that the Shore music that was used in the trailers/teasers was (for the most part) from the previous films. So we'd already heard them. There are exceptions, for sure. But for the most part, I think that's the case.
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... e;so=DESC;

Even more information can be found at her website, here
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, obviously I appreciate Shore is busy recording at the moment, but, you know, he's been at it a month already...no harm in being hopeful that he might have got something prepared to tease us with! It's not that I don't appreciate other proferred musical interpretations of Tolkien, rather that Shore's music has become inextricably entwined with M-e in my subconscious... :love:

Anyway, some latest news just in:

A message from PJ on Facebook to kick off Hobbit Week - New trailer will be debuted on September 19th...along with something..."extra"

https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ?ref=ts
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Wonder what the special content will be? I'm guessing it won't come until a day or two after the trailer.
Voronwë the Faithful

The trailer will apparently debut at MSN NZ at 2:00 a.m. New Zealand time on 9/20. That is 7:00 a.m. on 9/19 here on the west coast of the U.S. 10 a.m. on the east coast of the U.S., and if I understand correctly 3 p.m for the Brits.

http://entertainment.msn.co.nz/article.aspx?id=8533936
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yay! Thanks for the heads up, V :thumbsup:
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

First official image from the trailer:

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

That image is way too big, but unless someone complains, I'm going to leave it be, because it is awesome.

Did I mention that it was awesome?
Voronwë the Faithful

Also, the Hobbit Facebook page where that image was posted confirms that the trailer will be posted at iTunes at the same times that the NZ MSN site claimed it was going to be the "first" to post it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I was hoping you'd say that! :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That image takes up almost the full width of my 27-inch high-res monitor.

But it is awesome. I thought somebody ought to mention that.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I can almost hear the elves singing "tra-la-la-lally".
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

16 more beautiful images released here!

My favourites:
(Dig the great scale work here...)

~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

He's listening to Tra-la-la-lally!

=:)

p.s.: Oh, oops, how did I not see holby's post?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!