General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I like that idea alot, Dave.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Further new stills can also be seen on www.henneth-annun.ru, including this neat shot of the interior of Bag End, with portaits of a rather handsome couple on the wall...

http://www.henneth-annun.ru/wp-content/ ... _front.jpg
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Those are the same portraits as in LotR, right? PJ and Fran as hobbits?

Did we ever find out who they were supposed to be? I'd guessed they might be Primula and Drogo Baggins, but if they're on the wall in The Hobbit, they can't be.

I love the images from the panorama. I could live in a place like that so happily. :love: I also like the way the "Englishness" of the design (entirely appropriate) is tweaked not just to create round doors and tubular hallways, but to bring in surprising elements of Middle-earth design that you would not find in a similar English space. They're below the immediately apparent surface, but they're there—the kind of thing I've always liked about the design esthetic of these films.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I like that bureau-y piece of furniture on the right. A lot.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The Hobbit FB Page: Hobbit Day is only two weeks away! How will you be celebrating?

Is this a hint that the new trailer will be released on a certain couple of Hobbits' birthdays? :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I think there is a good chance of it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It would be a lovely touch.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Have the pictures from the Apple app been posted? These ones?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Dwarves in Rivendell! :)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Oin kind of looks awesome. I don't remember noticing before.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Tauriel, Legolas, Fimbul & warg action figures revealed on Tolkiendrim

Fimbul is described as one of Azog's hunters...

Legolas has a new outfit, and the redesigned warg looks to be a great improvement on the hyena-wargs of TTT!

The Tauriel figure confirms that we did actually see her in the most recent vlog...
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And no lingerie armor for Tauriel. :whew:

The actor who plays the orc could easily play an elf.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

[Hmm...the thread on these figures has disappeared from TORn, but my link to Tolkiendrim still works... ^ ^]

USAToday has published some more stills, including a proper shot of Radagast!

Seems to have a kind of Russian holy man look about him!

Other pictures include

Bilbo in his pantry

Gandalf

Gollum

The Dwarves by candlelight
(nice to what seems to be Balin holding everyone enthralled!)

Thorin & co. on the run

Quotes to go along with the pictures:
For Gollum: Writer/producer Philippa Boyens has good news for fans of the Hobbit named Sméagol, who is twisted by the power of the One Ring (and is played by Andy Serkis in motion-capture): “You get to see more of him, and that’s never a bad thing.”

Radagast
By Warner Bros. Pictures
The wizard Radagast the Brown (Sylvester McCoy) is only mentioned in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Hobbit book once, but Boyens had enough to go on to boost his role in the new movie series, and she feels he’s going to become a well-loved character. “He’s not at all like Gandalf,” Boyens says. “There’s a power and danger and sharpness and wits and cunning even about Gandalf that you sense immediately,

Thorin Oakenshield:
By Warner Bros. Pictures
Boyens feels The Hobbit is as much the story of Thorin (Richard
Armitage) as it is of Bilbo Baggins. “You want him to inherit this
kingdom. You want to feel that if he can take back his homeland,
he’ll rule for a good many years.”

Gandalf:
There will a lot more of Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen) in The Hobbit than in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Frelga wrote:And no lingerie armor for Tauriel.
In the movies at least. So long as I'm free to picture it. :drool:
Elentári wrote:the redesigned warg looks to be a great improvement on the hyena-wargs of TTT!
Obviously Saruman crossed northern Wargs with southern hyeandons to get his mounts. He was into that sort of thing. :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

OMG!!! Mega spoilerage....the Comic-Con version of Vlog 8 is available on Youtube!!

http://youtu.be/0DbrhICb590

Laketown...Bard...The Master...and lots of gold!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Aw...shucks! WB took it down already...

Sorry folks. :(

Luckily I still have the page open so I can keep watching for now! :P

But I can offer the screen caps on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 070&type=1
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Link taken down. :P
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Okay...TORn have put up a new link which isn't Youtube!

http://www.allocine.fr/video/emissions/ ... a=19401897

Catch it while you can!

The new stuff begins around 2:38 in...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Awesome stuff.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

A remarkable amount of Awesome today!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End