Lent

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Yes, exactly. :hug:
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Lalaith wrote:My internet addiction is pretty strong. :( I'm having a hard time not abiding by what I had said. I keep checking my email when I first get up. Like the world will END if I don't check my email straightaway in the morning. :roll:
What you might do, if you do not already do so, is subscribe to a daily Bible reading or devotion. That is the only reason I check my email daily... whatever else happens to be there catches my eye of course. But I've learned most of it can wait until I am done my reading.

Here is the one I get daily (usually about 3 chapters: 1 NT, 1 OT, and one from either Psalms or Proverbs). Just check the Today's Bible Reading box under the Free Newsletters Tab to the right, enter your email address and hit subscribe.

If 3 chapters is a bit much (though I guarantee it will ween you away from the time you spend looking at your other mail) there are daily devotionals out there, usually one verse and a bit of commentary (try http://www.bibleleague.ca/verse_signup.php ?). If you spend some time with each verse (ie ponder the meaning of each word, write a paraphrase and then pray) this too can help change your habits around how you use your time online.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Primula Baggins wrote: Forty days gives a new habit a chance to take root. I hope. And maybe root out some anger and fear, too, or at least let some air in on it.
Are you doing that 40 Days in the Word study by any chance? http://www.40daysintheword.com/
Last edited by SirDennis on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Very good suggestions, SirDennis! :)

I did buy this for my nook:

http://www.inspiredreads.com/christian- ... -for-lent/

It's $1.99 for either nook or Kindle, or, at least, it was yesterday. I'm not sure if the price has changed at all today.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm using a book of devotions published by the ELCA, SirD, although I realize I need to dig it out and read yesterday's as well. . . . :oops:

Baby steps! I did manage some of what I hoped to yesterday. As a result I slept like a baby last night, which is a very good start (fretting and poor sleep leading to middle-of-the-night fretting leading to no sleep . . . that's my death spiral).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Pilip 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Matt 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I'm betting you are familiar with these and similar sayings... likely I will never have read them enough times myself. The cares of the world are like the rains that come when we forget to pack our umbrella. We must remember our umbrella and not hesitate to open it when the rains come. :)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:)

Those are among my favorite verses. :love:
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

:)

I wrote this poem.

Ash Wednesday

Into the wilderness.
Something has driven me
thirsty and hungry.
The valley of all desolations,
the criss-crossing paths of another’s suffering.
I’d rather blot it out but
heavy clouds are massing.
Rain.
At least there will be rain,
in this desert.

Alone on the mountain.
Only bare scarred rock
and the pale sheet of sky
and the trickle of a spring, nearby.
I can sense, not see,
the wind that can shatter,
the quake that can break.

And all around me, the voice.
And within me, a voice.

The real me. The eternal You.
I will not hide away.
See, Lord, this time I’m not hiding.

Pearly Di, Ash Wednesday, 22 February 2012
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

It's very beautiful and powerful. :hug:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I have begun Lent this year experiencing some of the most sublime sacred music ever written...

Okay, maybe that's indulging a passion of mine rather than giving anything up, but as the sermon in the cathedral yesterday mentioned taking the opportunity to experience a closeness with God through the re-enactment of his Son's Passion during Holy Week - particularly through the music and liturgy of the Triduum, it seems appropriate. (ETA: Link added here )

William Walton composed A Litany at the age of 15, setting the text of a 17th Century poem by Phinneas Fletcher:

Drop, drop, slow tears,
And bathe those beauteous feet
Which brought from heaven
The news and Prince of Peace.
Cease not, wet eyes,
His mercy to entreat;
To cry for vengeance
Sin doth never cease.
In your deep flood[s]
Drown all my feaults and fears;
Nor let His eye
See sin, but through my tears.

I was also privileged to attend a performance of Bernstein's Chichester Psalms last night, and I felt it particularly appropriate at this time of bloodshed and upheaval in Syria... This is the Third Movement

The concert also contained excerpts from Faure's Requiem, and a performance of Poulenc's Gloria

Next weekend I shall be attending a performance of Durufle's Requiem given by the Chichester Cathedral choir at Ardingly College. They are also performing Allegri's Miserere Mei. The following weekend I shall be taking part in a workshop and performance of the Tsunami Requiem by composer Chris Williams. Finally, I am looking forward to seeing my eldest son in a performance of Vedi's Requiem on Passion Sunday.
Last edited by Elentári on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Those were lovely, Elen! :love:

And you have a lot to look forward to as well, especially your son's performance. And Allegri's Miserere Mei is the most exquisite vocal music ever written. :love:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Lalaith wrote: And Allegri's Miserere Mei is the most exquisite vocal music ever written. :love:
Indeed, and fingers-crossed, my youngest son will be singing the solo with "top Cs" on Saturday night since he had the part when they performed it on Ash Weds recently. That will be my birthday treat if so! :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ohhh! He gets the high C part?

Wow! :bow: That's my favorite part! :love:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Elentári wrote:...the sermon in the cathedral yesterday mentioned taking the opportunity to experience a closeness with God through the re-enactment of his Son's Passion during Holy Week - particularly through the music and liturgy of the Triduum...
Just a note to say I managed to twist the Precentor's arm into putting his sermon online, so I've added a link in my original post of March 5th also.
The Bible talks about significant moments in time,
significant moments when we are visited by God. They are
called kairos in Greek. There were thousands of these kairos
in Jesus’ ministry, decisive moments latent with the promise
of salvation, and yet they often went unrecognized. When
Jesus wept over Jerusalem he said it was because they did
not recognize the time (the kairos) of their visitation from God.
The Church also provides us with these kairos moments,
significant times of visitation by God, and one way she does
this is through the liturgical calendar.

By observing the liturgical calendar we re-member the
significant moments of Jesus’ life and ministry. On Maundy
Thursday we re-member , make alive again, the events of the
Last Supper and the garden of Gethsemane; on Good Friday
the passion and cross; on Holy Saturday the tomb and Jesus’
bursting out in Risen light and glory. In looking back we are
not observing past events, as in a passion play. We are being
invited to respond to these kairos moments, these moments
of visitation, now so that they become part of our present
experience. And as God’s love and providence become a
present reality so we are shaped and formed that we might
mature into the full stature of Christ. The liturgy, and the
liturgies of Holy Week in particular, are invitations to hear and
receive what we are to become, to allow Christ to be formed
in us.
On this subject, Bach's interpretations of Our Lord's Passion are the musical embodiment of the Easter message; their immense emotional power, and the blend of drama and spirituality providing for many an essential counterpart to Easter observances and festivities.

If any of you are lucky enough to be in New York a week on Friday, (March 30th) you will have the opportunity to hear my son joining the choristers of St. Thomas' Church, Fifth Avenue, in a concert performance of JS Bach's St. John's Passion. :)
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Wow! That's so exciting for your son, and I love the sermon you quoted. So very, very true, and it's something that non-liturgical churches are missing out on, imo.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Thank you for the quote and links Elantari.

Sometimes I wonder at the meditations the liturgical calendar affords... such a beautiful approach to the scriptures.

The news about your son is very exciting!