Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Nature Pics

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm going to post at least one picture a day here for the rest of my life, to remind myself (and everyone) of how much beauty there is in the world.

I hope others join me. :) (And that people also start threads with stories, poems and anything else emphasizing or discussing nature.

Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks, Voronwë - looking forward to that! :D

Love the name of the forum! :)

And that's a picture I could spend hours looking at! :love:
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

That's a lovely idea. Hobby's going to teach me about photos eventually. Where do people get all the beautiful photos they use? (Just call me Clueless Cerin).
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Either they are your own pictures that you uploaded to your PC first and then to an online album - or you just google the web for pics others have taken and placed there (which you then save on your PC and put in an online album). :)

It's really easy, you'll see! :D
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

:D :hug:
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Voronwë, this is such a lovely idea. :love:

Here's my first contribution. It's the view from a friend's deck, high up on a ridge on the western side of the island. She and her husband run a bed and breakfast........lucky guests, eh?

Voronwë the Faithful

Lucky Ath, too. :love: Of course, we tend to make our own luck.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

It's funny, but we never intended to end up here. We were just passing through on a long weekend getaway, and saw an intriguing "For Sale" sign at the top of long, steep, meandering driveway. When we got to the bottom, there was this lovely, shabby little cottage in the midst of an overgrown garden, overlooking a gem of a cove. It was love at first sight. :love:
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

And where is that cove, Athrabeth?
Voronwë the Faithful

Good morning. Welcome to Bryce National Park.

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, that looks weird! :shock:
What part of the States is Bryce?

And I love Ath's pics, too (the one posted here and the one in your avatar space) - don't quite know what you're talking about either, though - what island? And what cove? :help:

Well, so I'm not just badgering you with questions, I thought I'd add a pic myself - I used to have a tiny version of this in my avatar on b77, but I thought I'd show a bigger version - it's some clematis seed I photographed on an autumn walk a few years ago. :)

Voronwë the Faithful

Hobby, Bryce is in Utah. One of the most unearthly places that I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing the larger version of the clematis seed picture. It looks completely different at this size then the smaller one that you had in your avatar.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Last August at Yellowstone . . . two very beautiful bits of nature!

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks, Voronwë!

I tend to focus on the beauty of small things and I like this pic because it's an example of how delicately and interestingly even the most peripheral things are shaped. That's why I put it in my avatar (well, basically I didn't feel safe enough there anymore to have a pic of myself there), but I agree you couldn't see much there.

Yes, I think "unearthly" describes your pic. It would seem to me to be one of those beauties that has been marred - but came out beautiful nevertheless! You know, the things that were not planned this way, the things that Melkor tried to ruin - and in the end they turned out stunning after all!

(Is it ok to discuss the pics in here, btw? I tend to get gushing when I see a pic that impresses me! :D )

Prim, two masterpieces in one pic! :D Is that your daughter in the pic? :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes. :love: Probably the loveliest thing I've ever had a real part in creating.

Thank you.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

No, we absolutely can not discuss pictures in here. It is verboten (sp?).

:rofl:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<trembles>

<backs away>

to pick up salmon

:salmon:
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

:rofl:

Just thought I'd ask - don't want to derail the thread! :P

Absolutely perfect spelling, btw! :D

Prim, that's wonderfully put! :)

Edit: I meant the bit about your creating. Not the bit about the salmon. Though you have a wonderful way to swing it around, too - must come with all the practice! :D
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

truehobbit and Cerin: The cove that I referred to is right here:

Our place is tucked away close to the head of the cove in the upper righthand side of the photo - you can just see the beginning of our property before it disappears into the shadows. We live on a small island just off the southern coast of British Columbia, between the mainland and Vancouver Island, part of a chain that we call the Gulf Islands, and the Americans call the San Juan Islands.

Voronwë, that photo of Bryce Canyon is stunning, simply stunning. It always astonishes me how light can give such life to the colours of the bare bones of the earth. Amazing.

Hobby. I've always admired that pic in your avatar. To see it in such detail is a real treat. It reminds me of the gossamer nets that some spiders weave all over the meadow and garden here in the autumn. I have a strange affinity for spider webs. I think they're the most beautiful and miraculous things.

Prim, I've never been to Yellowstone, but pictures of it remind me a lot of the lower slopes of the southern Canadian Rockies in my own province of B.C. I love your daughter's pose. The last photos my own girl permitted us to take of her was when we were travelling through Mexico when she was just shy of 13. I have this great pic of my mom and me holding her down between us on the steps of a ruined temple at Mitla, and she's actually laughing about it. Now, she insists on taking her own artsy-fartsy self-portraits, which, I must admit, are really very good. She's very much looking forward to taking a course in media arts next semester. That reminds me........some of the photographs your son composes are breathtaking. Will we be seeing some of them here? (she inquires hopefully)

Oh, and here's my submission for today:

Cathedral Grove, near Coombs, Vancouver Island.

I think Treebeard would have liked this place.

:love: for all teh pretty pictures, and the people who posted them!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Athrabeth, I'll tell my son what you said! He always just glows when his work is praised. And yes, I will be using some of his photos here, I'm sure. He's much more gifted than I am (and now has a much better camera, which he earned doing yard work last summer).

Here's one I happen to have on Photobucket already:

Probably not strictly correct, as it has a structure in it! I'll do better later when I can get into his iPhoto files.