Hobbit film sets and such

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Cool! 8)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Oh my word, I think I've driven down that canyon. :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Pictures supposedly of the set for Dale from herr der ringe film:

http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de ... _85056.php
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

And some from Laketown (along with a bunch of screen shots from the last production video):

http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de ... lder_2.php
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Loads of Hobbiton pics from TORN, now that their non-disclosure agreement has been lifted!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 820&type=3
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Wow, amazing pictures! I don't see anything about it at TORN, either, which is strange. Thanks for sharing!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Gorgeous pictures...just incredible how much detail is included...

For more snippets about the creation of the Hobbiton set, the German film website "moviepilot.de" has recently posted a video interviewing artists working on the "Hobbit" films, and Ian Brodie of the LotR filmset location guide

http://www.moviepilot.de/news/steven-li ... ter-115117

The relevant part starts at 07:10 and ends around 13:00.

They did not dub the New Zealanders, so you will be able to understand most of the report, but if anyone wants a translation of the German portion, Mona2505 over on TORn has provided one. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Some great pics of the Laketown set, revealed apparently because of a false fire alarm.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/ne ... Hobbit-set
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't know; looks like it was on fire to me! :) Are they sure it's Laketown and not Dale?

Very World-of-Warcraft looking. But/and I like it.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

herr-de-ringe appear to have an exclusive image of a Dwarf Set.

In the image, a square column can be seen bearing the Anglo-Saxon runes for KINGDOM on one face of the square - could this refer to Erebor?

According to Xanseb on TORN...
...judging by Anglo Saxon runes yep it'd be: C i n g d o m .....

BUT.... they've failed pretty miserably there... C should be the K rune. N and G should have been replaced with the NG (dipthong) rune...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

"They've failed pretty miserably there..."

GET OUT OF YOUR PARENTS' BASEMENT!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I think they meant digraph rather than diphthong, right? And I don't think the Anglo-Saxons used the word kingdom; the word I know is rice (rEEch-eh or rEEck-eh; not sure which), though I suppose they could have had both. But even if they did, "King" was spelled "Cyning".
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Or Cyng, depending on the dialect...and the y was more like a U than an I at that point, so "Cyning" sounded an awful lot like the German "Koenig"
eborr

Post by eborr »

I far as I am aware spelling in England was not standardised until the 18 th century, and regional dialectes might well attract alternate spellings. In fact we have foriegners continually coming out with their own versions "correct" spellings eg color, for colour, bejing for Peking, mubai for Bombay tsch tsch
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Shouldn't that be "tsque, tsque"?
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My son was being silly about his homework and asked me how to spell the article "a." I advised him to spell it as in "eight." =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
eborr

Post by eborr »

WampusCat wrote:Shouldn't that be "tsque, tsque"?
that depends on whether you follow the french or the germanic tradition
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Not sets as such but these might have found their way from Erebor to Comic-Con: Dwarven statues guard the Weta displays!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theonering ... otostream/
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hidden Hobbit movie set stay extended

A Hobbit movie set discreetly hidden in the Maupuia bush will remain for up to 16 extra months and walkers may be able to get close enough to check it out. The site which was used to film scenes of the town of Dale was due to come down on August 31 but the Wellington City Council recently approved another resource consent. This consent means the set will remain until December 31, 2013.
This means it will be used for the making of Desolation of Smaug which - if the title is a reliable clue - will deal with the dragon Smaug, which the dwarves and Bilbo Baggins battle in the climax of the book of The Hobbit.

It could also be used as a set for the village of Dale, which Smaug demolishes in the book, though the scene is only referenced as a past event in JRR Tolkien's version.

The site has already been used to film scenes set in the Dale.

~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Just sayin': I'd totally love to live there. If it had indoor plumbing.