Riddles in the Dark: IOW, Questions That Need Answers

A forum for discussion of Voronwë's book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Riddles in the Dark: IOW, Questions That Need Answers

Post by Lalaith »

I'd like a place where I can ask questions as I'm reading the book. I am a Tolkien neophyte, not a scholar, but I know that the scholars here are always happy to answer questions. (And if they laugh at the stupidity of the question, they are polite enough not to post their laughter in their reply! :D)

Here's the first question that I should know the answer to but do not. (I know I learned this, but I have forgotten it.)

What does the double-S symbol mean? Does it mean version or something? Page numbers?

:oops:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

This is probably the only question that will be asked here that I can answer: it's the symbol for "Section." I know that only because I'm a copyeditor, BTW. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thank you! :rofl: I was on the right track but just didn't know for sure.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And I know it because I'm a lawyer. ;) We use that symbol a lot.

Thanks for starting this thread, Lali.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And I learned it because I started copyediting books about law. They're sheer joy in themselves, of course, but I also learn things.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

A sheer joy, eh?

I can only imagine what you think about root canals . . . . :D
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Any takers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

;)
Great Scott!!!

:shock:
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Any sales so far?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Not that I know of. Not that I would receive anything for it. And why would anyone possibly spend a thousand dollars on a book that they can get a used paperback copy of for $18.84? Or a brand new copy from Amazon for $26.79 (19% off! good deal!)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think there must be some buggy auto-pricing software at work. Or maybe somebody entered the list price without a decimal point and the software generated this "discount."

Still, :shock:
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Even more curious is the "customers who bought this, also bought" line.
All of the recommendations were George Harrison albums/CDs.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

That's one for you, nineteen for me.