Notable Debut Albums

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Holbytla

Notable Debut Albums

Post by Holbytla »

I wrestled with the word notable and thought about using even more subjective terms like best, great, good, and even eponymous, but decided that notable was a balance of terms that would allow people to transcend like and dislike for any particular artist.

I know that at the end of the day, you like what you like and don't like what you do not, but at least in some cases, props can be given to artists regardless of personal taste.

I would like to construct a list of debut albums that were, if nothing else, attention grabbers.

I have a number of those debut albums in my mind, but I will start with three and attempt to validate them. All three albums are from the late 70's, a transition period between rock and Punk/New Wave.

In my mind, these three are "no-brainers", as should be when introducing a thread of this type. Having said that, these choices are of course subject to taste.

The first is Pretenders by The Pretenders.

The band has had a number of incarnations over the years (mainly due to the untimely deaths of Pete Farndin and James Honeyman-Scott, and the firing and re-hiring of Martin Chambers), but Chrissie Hynde has always been the centerpiece or driving force behind The Pretenders.

The punk attitude and punk sound, blended with guitar rock and soulful ballards, made for a grab your attention, something new and unique sound that propelled them into the 80's.

All of that gobbledegook aside, this album has a blend of new wave, rock, punk, pop, ballads, cover tunes and 70's rock that was fresh and made you sit up and listen.
Side one
"Precious" – 3:36
"The Phone Call" – 2:29
"Up the Neck" – 4:27
"Tattooed Love Boys" – 2:59
"Space Invader" (Pete Farndon, James Honeyman-Scott) – 3:26
"The Wait" (Hynde, Farndon) – 3:35
"Stop Your Sobbing" (Ray Davies) – 2:38 (produced by Nick Lowe)(cover of a Kinks song)
Side two
"Kid" – 3:06
"Private Life" – 6:25
"Brass in Pocket" (Honeyman-Scott, Hynde) – 3:04
"Lovers of Today" – 5:51
"Mystery Achievement" – 5:23

There are a few songs that are between "meh" and throwaway" here, but the overall sound, Hynde's attitude and listen-ability of the album make it a worthy entry to the list of "Notable Debut Albums".

Chrissie and the boys had it going on and the sound of the album bears that out.

Next up the Police.

I am not an overly huge fan of Gordon Sumner (Sting) or his subsequent recordings, but the initial release of Outlandos d'Amour, was again another breath of fresh air during a time of musical transition of sub-genres.

This album contained a number of songs that had "hit potential", while managing to include sides of rock, punk, New Wave, Garage Band Rock, and ska. The sound was unique, sometimes simple, sometimes highly produced and yet had a recurring theme of a raw rock reggae punk sound.

The album was a weird combination, but it worked on many levels and showed the talent and unique sound that would be present on subsequent albums.

The big pop song hit Roxanne, is a song that most people are familiar with, as is Can't Stand Losing You, but So Lonely, Hole In My Life, (the backbone of the album) Peanuts, Next To You, and Born in The 50's (fun portion of the album) are what makes this album an entry to this list.

The sound, energy, and vibe from this album are what made the Police and their subsequent hits possible.

Now a local favorite that I had the pleasure of hearing before their songs were re-produced.

Way back when, there were radio stations that had demo versions of songs that were released via air waves before there were purchasable copies of band's songs.

I guess Itunes has something like that going on now, and I applaud that endeavor.

In any case, I will bet that I heard My Best Friend's Girl, (the demo version) at least a year before mainstream America had even a clue who the Cars were.

Yes the Cars are the 3rd band on this list, but by no means are they in 3rd place in my mind. I have been hearing them since shortly after their inception and it took me at least a year before I was use to listening to the "re-release" of My Best Friend's Girl, as I was accustomed to the "demo version".
The funny thing is, "Just What I Needed" turned out to be a co-single/hit-of-the-album with "My Best Friend's Girl". A good part of side one of the album was re pleat with hits and the 2nd side has what I consider one of the best back to back songs, can't play one without the other, iterations in rock.

Moving In Stereo and All mixed Up, as a combo, are on par with Funeral For A Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding (Elton John), Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)(Led Zeppelin), and We Will Rock You/We are The Champions (Queen) as far as back to back, must play together songs in the history of modern rock.

The album is a blend of New Wave and Rock, but with a techno sound that sets it apart. The hits are numerous and the few AOR tunes make this one of the most stand out debut albums or rock.

Side one
"Good Times Roll" – 3:44
"My Best Friend's Girl" – 3:44
"Just What I Needed" – 3:44
"I'm in Touch with Your World" – 3:31
"Don't Cha Stop" – 3:01
[edit]Side two
"You're All I've Got Tonight" – 4:13
"Bye Bye Love" – 4:14
"Moving in Stereo" (Greg Hawkes, Ocasek; Copyright Lido Music & Oversnare Music) – 4:41
"All Mixed Up" – 4:14

Please list any debut albums that you think are worthy of note, and if you can, detail the impact they had on music at that time.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The Doors.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Couldn't agree more. At least 7 of the 11 tracks are recognizable and at least a couple are eternal anthems for the ages.

Classic garage-band/LA Sound/Psychedelia.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

The Specials

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Tears for Fears - The Hurting

Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell

This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears

CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I will easily concur with the Pretenders debut album as being fabulous. I really enjoyed it and without Mr. James Honeyman-Scott and Mr. Chambers, the band was/is not the same.

I am going to go back a little bit more and put up "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart. Back in the 70s, this was one of my favorite LPs and I really emjoyed playing it. The whole concept of the bookends of the song "Dreamboat Annie" was very nice. This points out the era when albums were meant to be played in a particular order, not put on shuffle and listened to randomly.

I will also add the Bangles "All Over The Place", technically not their first output (an EP was released prior), but this album, though short, had some of the best vocal harmonies I had ever heard.

Moving along to the 90s, as a first album (major - label debut) I quite like "Wide Open Spaces" from the Dixie Chicks.

Mark Knopfler's solo debut "Golden Heart", was also very good. I could also say the same thing about Dire Strait's self-titled debut album. It was overplayed, but time gives a good perspective on it.

Jimmy Buffett's major - label debut "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean" sets the tone for his whole career. And was a darn good album in and of itself.

I do listen to actual modern music too. Lady Gaga's "The Fame" is quite an amazing debut album. And Girls Aloud with "Sound of the Underground" is a great debut from one of the best pop groups around.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The Doors.
YES. Beat me to it.

:)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This is bizarre.

I know I posted here. Looks like you lost some posts Voronwë
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Grrr. Must be due to the server change. I'll post a warning in the Grubb forum.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Definitely some posts missing.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Pearl Jam, often called the "Ten" album.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Nirvana - Bleach. Not bad really, but their second album, Nevermind, is so much better.

Pixies - Come On Pilgrim. But here too my favourite songs by them (Where Is My Mind and Monkey Gone to Heaven) are from later releases.

Now this one is in keeping with the true spirit of this thread:
The Smiths - The Smiths
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Arcade Fire's Funeral is probably the most acclaimed and beloved debut of the last 20 years, if not more, though in terms of sheer influence, it'd be hard to top Inanna's Ten for debuts from my lifetime. Much of rock radio today still sounds like copies of copies of copies of that album's sound.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Although none of you will have heard it, I class "Paradise in the Picturehouse" as one of the best debut albums of all time. Its by Irish band "The Stunning" who were unfortunately rather eclipsed by another Irish band called U2.

I'd add my vote to the Eponymous Dire Straits album, and I would also argue for "Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton" given that his only previous recording was a live recording with the Yardbirds.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Clapton had the distinction of appearing on several debuts, if you consider all of the bands he played in. The Yardbirds For Your Love, Fresh Cream with Cream, Blind Faith with Blind Faith, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs with Derek and the Dominoes and his solo debut Eric Clapton. Blues Breakers was not the first John Mayal album, but it was Clapton’s debut with that group, so I guess it counts. ;)

I also love the Pretenders first album. Brass In Pocket is a great song, but Precious, Tattooed Love Boys and Better Stop Sobbing are absolute classics.

A few other late seventies Punk/New Wave additions in the vein of The Pretenders I would throw in:

Joe Jackson’s debut Look Sharp, more New Wave than Punk, is a fantastic album, not a weak song in the bunch. Is She Really Going Out With Him? is still a radio staple, but Fools In Love and Happy Loving Couples have always been personal favorites.

Elvis Costello’s My Aim Is True had one of his best songs, the beautiful Alison, and Blondie’s eponymous debut came out around the same time.

Let’s see, what else? The Who’s My Generation, for obvious reasons. Led Zeppelin, for no other reason then it was the first album of the greatest rock band ever (indisputable fact, so don’t bother ;)). R.E.M.’s Murmer, almost single handedly created the Alternative genre (and the album was recorded in my hometown!). Norah Jones had a great debut with Come Away With Me.

And I would be remiss if I did not throw in some bluegrass, so I’ll go with Nickel Creek’s major label debut Nickel Creek, one of the best recordings of any genre of music, in my opinion. Technically their third album, their first two are long since out of print, so for all practical purposes it is their debut. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.