Paperback edition!

A forum for discussion of Voronwë's book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Those are such fantastic reviews, V. I especially like the comments concerning "raises serious questions about the treatment of unpublished—and unfinished—literary material" and that all canonical authors can learn from your book.
:D

I bow to you, Voronwë the Scholar
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks Prim and Inanna (love the new name, btw).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:Thanks Prim and Inanna (love the new name, btw).
:D Thank you.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Paperback is now listed at Amazon (but with no image at this point). Small (10%) discount, for a pre-order price of $29.80. I'm hoping they will increase the discount, but it still is a lot cheaper than the hardcover was ever available for:

http://www.amazon.com/Arda-Reconstructe ... _title_0#_
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is what the new cover looks like:

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's elegant!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I like it a lot (though I liked the old cover as well).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Very nice and scholarly. :thumbsup:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Frelga. I think so, too.

I've learned that the Book Depository has it for 25% off with free worldwide shipping, for a total of $24.71.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Arda-Reco ... 1611460896
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh, and here is a higher resolution copy of the cover:

Voronwë the Faithful

And the Amazon craziness starts already! The image isn't even up yet, it doesn't come up in Google searches (only the hardcover does), and yet they've now raised the discount a whole percent (w00t!) to 11 percent, reducing the price 33 whole cents to $29.47!

But the best price can be found from a place called the Book Depository, which has it for 25% off at $24.71, with worldwide free delivery! That may well be the best price that it will be available for total, so anyone who is interested may want to get on it:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Arda-Reco ... 1611460896
Voronwë the Faithful

Just got word that the paperback books arrived in the publisher's warehouse today and should begin shipping within the week. Woohoo! Unfortunately, the Book Depository no longer has that good price, so Amazon is probably the best way to go.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Great news!
Voronwë the Faithful

I hold in my hand a copy of the paperback! And it looks really awesome! The illustrations in particular are really nice, quite a bit crisper than they were in the hardcover edition. I'm very pleased.

I've ordered a few extra copies, so if anyone is interested in having me send them a signed copy, I'd be willing to send them for $25, shipping included. Let me know if anyone is interested.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Voronwë, how much knowledge of HoME does your book assume? If I've only read The (published) Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, will I be able to follow it?
Voronwë the Faithful

kzer, I tried to design the book so that it would be understandable to someone without having read any of HoMe (whereas, it would largely be useless, I think, to anyone who has not read the published Silmarillion). Certainly familiarity with HoMe would enhance the appreciation of the book (particularly the tables), but I am pretty confident that anyone who is familiar with the published Silmarillion would be perfectly able to follow the text. Indeed, I have had others who have not read HoMe tell me that they were able to do so. On the other hand, it is my hope that doing so would spark interest in going on to reading HoMe.

If anyone here has any input on this question, please feel free to add your comment!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've only read parts of HoME and I thoroughly enjoyed Arda Reconstructed!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Likewise, I've only dipped into parts of HoMe in the past, and whilst AR is perfectly readable on its own (once you are familiar with The Silmarillion,) in a way it is rather like an index to the SIL parts of HoMe. I used it during our SIL scriptwriting project, and it was invaluable for cross-referencing Tolkien's different versions in order to find extra detail to enhance the screenplay.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Cool, isn't it? I'm very grateful to TPTB at TORN for doing that. And I see that the irrepressible Grammaboodawg has managed to get the cover image posted at Amazon, which I have been trying to do for months!