Now that we have official news, are you excited?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Now that we have official news, are you excited?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I find myself being more excited than I expected. There are so many interesting possibilities with these films, good, bad and ugly (and everything in between). I think all of the challenges (and they are not over yet, by any means) have made me more excited, rather than less, which is not what I thought would be the case.

How 'bout you?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm meh. I might get more excited once things like pics and such come in.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

That's the reaction I expected. Hopefully, it will change. :)

No Sam, though. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It hasn't soaked in yet for me. And I think I want more hard information. For example, I didn't start to get excited about LotR until I read the first couple of PJ's "20 questions" on AICN and realized how thoroughly he was going about the job.

Since then, of course, PJ has earned a great deal of respect and thanks from me; and also a fair measure of suspicion and trepidation. I want these films to be great ones, without flaw. PJ probably can't deliver that. (No one could, but that's a side issue, she said airily.) Maybe I know too much about both his strengths, which are undeniable, and his flaws as a filmmaker.

Gah. We'll see. First on-set photos and I'll probably be a drooling fangirl again.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Yes, I am excited about this. I noticed yesterday in one of the two news videos that it was filmed on the Bag End set. That was so cool to see it.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I'm more excited than I thought I'd be, actually. :) May have something to do with the fact that I was listening to the LOTR soundtrack in the car for the first time in a while. That made me remember the thrill of sitting in the cinema for the first time for the first film ...
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'll get excited when the trailers come out.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh, I'm really excited, probably because I missed the build-up to LotR...

I remember going to see FotR when it came out, and being blown away by how much better it was than I'd expected - I mean, I went in expecting a lot more changes than we got, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

I also came away in love with Viggo... :love:

(Of course, the satisfaction level did drop rather more with TTT and RotK, but I'm not a total purist...I just don't like change for change's sake...)

I'm pleased with the casting choices so far, just a little reservation over Armitage, but willing to see how it pans out... :thumbsup:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, I know I WILL be excited! :)

But I'm sure nothing could recapture the thrill of the wait for the LOTR movies, because I was at a tenderer point in my life, and somehow the whole return to LOTR (the book as much as the film) went very deep.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm sanguine about it.

Besides, given that we've learned that PJ is to direct, to the surprise of absolutely no one, I think we have a pretty good idea of what sort of movies to expect.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Excited, yes and no. Were too far out yet for me to get excited about particulars but I a very happy it is moving forward. What is exciting is all the drama around this film. Kristin Thompson over at Frodo Franchise has been a great place to read and get information as this unfolds. I truly hope she does a book on the Making of the Hobbit and the impact this franchise (yes, I include The Hobbit with the LOTR Franchise) is having, especially down in New Zealand and on the companies involved in it. That is the fascinating part.

In terms of excitement, I will get excited when I am driving to the theater to go see it. I can anticipate sitting there and waiting for the opening previews of upcoming movies to end and then the applauds that will rock the theater when Howard Shore's music is heard and on the big screen it says, The Hobbit.

Voronwë are you ready for the increasing numbers this will bring to the site and the work that goes with it? :)
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't know about Voronwë, but I would love to see that happen, and I'm ready for the work. It would probably benefit all Tolkien discussion here; even if most come just for the films, some will have interests beyond that.

But we'll see.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I guess I will get excited as it gets closer.... right now am too involved with RL to focus on The Hobbit. Although, I must say, AJ's description just sent a shiver down my back.

:)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I went to opening night of all three LotR films, and I expect I'll do the same for the Hobbit. For the LotR films it also involved getting Mr. Prim and my kids and bunches of their friends and my parents there as well, and coordinating the line-standing strategy; and for FotR there were no online ticket sales, so I stood (sat) in line for hours to buy them. Day of, it took at least two vanloads typically to deliver everyone to the theater hours before showtime to sit in line, plus logistics about providing food for teenagers, plus being firm about not saving places in line for friends (I thought my elderly parents were a reasonable exception to make). And it was all worth it.

Won't be the same this time around. My parents don't go to movies any more, and my kids drive themselves (and will probably go to the midnight shows the night before anyway). So it'll just be Mr. Prim and me, most likely.

I'll still be there!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I will actually have a chance to be part of the conversation this time... all three LOTR movies were released before I moved to the US. And the release dates were weeks after the US date. By the time I saw them (avoiding the movie forums, reviews etc), the conversations had moved on.

Looking forward to being there THIS TIME! Hopefully. Provided my job situation gets resolved. And you know, life...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

We could have a halofirian mass gathering and movie-outing. :)
That would put a little sparkle into the day.

Howard Shore's safely signed up? Because that's one of the few make-or-break matters for me. If he's doing the music, I can pretty much rest easy on the rest of it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

He is. He started working on it quite a while ago, in fact. :love:
Voronwë the Faithful

ArathornJax wrote:.Voronwë are you ready for the increasing numbers this will bring to the site and the work that goes with it? :)
I'll believe it when I see it.
Voronwë the Faithful

sauronsfinger wrote:Yes, I am excited about this. I noticed yesterday in one of the two news videos that it was filmed on the Bag End set. That was so cool to see it.
The other one was filmed in Gollum's cave!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Teremia wrote:We could have a halofirian mass gathering and movie-outing.
An excellent idea!

I'm mildly excited so far. It will intensify with time and details. If David Tennant were in it, I would be excited beyond words. Ah well. :)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup