Bluegrass & Appalachian folk music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lindréd wrote:I've been a pro bluegrass musician for many years. I was in a bg band that toured throughout the USA and Europe from 1988-2003 and recorded with Sugar Hill Records.
:shock: Wow! How cool!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

That is great, Lindréd! May we ask what band? (I understand if you don't want to identify yourself to that extent ... but I'm curious. I've heard quite a few.)
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Sure, the name of the band was Front Range. We started out in CO in the late 80s (hence the name), and signed with Sugar Hill in 1991. We had a great run through the 90s and early 2000s, recorded 8 CDs and played concerts and festivals all over (Strawberry, Telluride, Ryman Aud. in Nashville, Winnepeg and Phila. Folk Fesitvals, MerleFest, Lincoln Center NY etc.). 42 states in all over the years (and 14 countries!). We had lots of stuff on the BG and Americana charts. It was truly a blast, and a dream come true for all of us. Sadly, we lost my band co-founder, best friend and singing partner to a brain tumor in 05. We had kept the same 4 guys in the band for 15 years. One reviewer/DJ called us a "true band of brothers", and that we certainly were! And so we decided at that time to "retire" the band rather than try to replace Mike. But we have a boat load of great memories and stories! Plus a huge catalog of music that we recorded over the years. Great times! I wouldn't trade those years for anything.
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

The band is gone but the music lives on. What a legacy!

Thanks for the information. I don't think I ran across your band live, but I'll be sure to look up the music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's really cool, Lindred! :)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

This seemed as good a place as any to announce that I'll get to see Allison Krause and Union Station live this weekend. It'll be my first bluegrass festival. I'm excited! :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, that sounds like it will be a nice one! I love Allison's voice!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I wish I could go, too.

Has anyone heard of The Wailin' Jennies?
I heard them interviewed on the CBC today and they sing BEAUTIFUL. No kidding.

They've been on the Prairie Home Companion, which I never get to hear.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Yes, I've heard of them, though I can't remember if I've heard them.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Wonderful! I immediately bought them on iTunes. "The Parting Glass" is a long-time favorite of mine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

We sing The Parting Glass at the end of each Banquet in Bunratty these days. Nice arrangement in 4 parts with Fiddle and Harp. Its an Irish tune surely? Not Bluegrass or Appalacian?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

There is a lot of Irish influence in Bluegrass/Appalachian music, certainly :) The third song I linked was a sea shanty.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I seem to remember it being said in this thread that this particular music was the descendant of Irish immigrants. That connection is not hard to hear.
Last edited by yovargas on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Not Irish, as in the mostly Catholic Irish that came to North America in the Famine. The people who settled Appalachia were "Scotch-Irish" (as they were called) Protestants from Ulster and Scotland.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wikipedia wrote:"The Parting Glass" is an Irish traditional song, often sung at the end of a gathering of friends. It was allegedly the most popular song sung in both Scotland and Ireland before Robert Burns wrote "Auld Lang Syne".

The song should not be confused with the Scottish song of the same name, which is based on Irish folk song, Here's A Health.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alatar wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:"The Parting Glass" is an Irish traditional song, often sung at the end of a gathering of friends. It was allegedly the most popular song sung in both Scotland and Ireland before Robert Burns wrote "Auld Lang Syne".

The song should not be confused with the Scottish song of the same name, which is based on Irish folk song, Here's A Health.
Cool!

I have a bunch of Original Carter Family albums and there are a lot of songs by "trad", some of which I have never heard anywhere else. "The Mary Golden Tree" is one I like, although if you didn't do a little bit of research you'd never in the world be able to figure out what on earth the song is about.

A. P. Carter must be admired for "saving" hundreds of folk songs from Appalachia and elsewhere in America. On their records many of the songs are credited to him although he never claimed to have written them. The songs evolved differently in America than they did in Ireland and the UK, starting with the same traditional melody and lyrics they went off in several directions. I forget how many versions of "Barbara Allen" there are supposed to be. And the first few lines of "Wildwood Flower" refer to a flower or blossom that people still argue about.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Festival was fun :). I've confirmed that I prefer the fast songs, but then, that wasn't much of a surprise. Hehe, though I did notice that I tend to like the music better than the lyrics, so that might have something to do with it! A bit of a disappointment that this was a lawnchair-only crowd, so very little dancing. Everyone just sat quietly and watched/listened to the musicians. That threw me! I understand other festivals aren't like that, but this particular one is.

I got to see a few songs by Darren Beachley and the Legends of the Potomoc, The Seldom Scene, The Infamous Stringdusters and of course, Alison Krauss and Union Station. She did "A Living Prayer" as her encore, and it was awesome, a great way to end the day. :)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The SELDOM SCENE!!!!!! :shock: :shock: Oh, you lucky MithLuin. I have a couple of their albums, "Baptizing" is one of the best bluegrass albums ever made, IMHO. :love: :love:
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I just saw an add for this genre-bending collaboration on Facebook:

The Goat Rodeo Sessions

Holy cats! Yo Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer and Stuart Duncan! In musical terms this would be like putting Michelangelo and DaVinci in a room with Eienstein and Asimov and seeing what they could come up with. I can’t wait!

I guess if you don’t know anything about Thile, Meyer or Duncan this wouldn’t mean anything to you. They’re good. Trust me.