Other Spiritual Paths ?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Nenochtoo

Other Spiritual Paths ?

Post by Nenochtoo »

In some more primitive beliefs it is considered rude or even taboo to asked one of their Spirtiual Path, unless one wishes to openly discuss it.

I'm an Animist of sorts but will not go deeply into that as surely everyone knows what that means.

I'm also a firm believer in the more primitive Nature-Based beliefs to be less tainted by the greed of some civilized humans.

Are there any views to be shared concerning Old Beliefs ?
Pomthekie
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Nenochtoo

Welcome, we have many varied beliefs on this board. I am sure many will respond here.

Me myself am a Christian Buddhist New Age person. I love the teachings of Buddha, find enlightment in Christ and believe in the Earth being more than just a rock in space.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

Padme wrote:Nenochtoo

Welcome, we have many varied beliefs on this board. I am sure many will respond here.

Me myself am a Christian Buddhist New Age person. I love the teachings of Buddha, find enlightment in Christ and believe in the Earth being more than just a rock in space.
Greetings

Pleased to meet you.

I tend to like the way Lakota People look at this as being a Great Mystery, but always feel the warm embrace of a GrandMother Spirit.
Pomthekie
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Re: Other Spiritual Paths ?

Post by JewelSong »

Nenochtoo wrote: I'm an Animist of sorts but will not go deeply into that as surely everyone knows what that means.
Actually, I don't. ;) Would you mind giving me a little description?
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I have a great fondness and respect for Lakota spirituality.

My late husband spent some time over a period of years with friends on the Cheyenne River Reservation and learned as much as he could. He was convinced that many of the sufferings of today's Native Americans could be eased if they found strength by returning to their traditional beliefs and practices. He saw how it changed lives.

Unfortunately, some outsiders have latched onto the old beliefs not with respect and true willingness to explore deeper, finding kinship, but with a desire to exploit the traditions for material gain. It's that terrible greed that seems to taint and corrupt all human endeavors eventually.

I am a Christian who honors and learns from other paths (and who is angered at how greed and power-seeking have twisted much in my own tradition). My husband was a Christian whose heart and spirit were with the Lakota, even if his blood was Irish. I am now the keeper of his books, his medicine wheel, his flute, his wisdom and his memory.

And I would very much welcome any thoughts you would like to share about the Old Beliefs.
Nenochtoo

Re: Other Spiritual Paths ?

Post by Nenochtoo »

JewelSong wrote:
Nenochtoo wrote: I'm an Animist of sorts but will not go deeply into that as surely everyone knows what that means.
Actually, I don't. ;) Would you mind giving me a little description?
Spirits all around me, in the Rocks,Mountains Forests, Meadows, Waters Wild Places, Tools, Weapons, in the air.

Ancestor Spirits as well.
Pomthekie
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hello. :)

I am a Hindu. Although, I am very ambivalent about it all. I do like the fact that we have old myths, beliefs and that its not an organized religion, but as I said, I do not live by it everyday.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Hard to delineate between spirituality, religion and culture.

I am no longer a believer in God as he is generally defined, or supernatural beings.

I call myself Retired Roman Catholic, because I don't work at the spirituality anymore. I do, though, tend to act as one raised in a Catholic culture, and spend my Friday evenings helping the "least of my people".

I'm currently learning to live a more mindful, socially responsible life from Buddhists, especially through the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh.

I know very little about the spirituality of my Tlingit ancestors, as the Presbyterians were pretty successful in eradicating it, but I do enjoy the culture, and with culture comes a certain outlook on life that could be considered spirituality, including the concepts of ritual generosity as an economic system, communal stewardship of resources, the uncertainty of life, and the pervasiveness of beauty.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hello again, Nenochtoo! I'm excited that you have started this thread. Animism places a very important role in my own spiritual path, though it is something that I have a difficult time discussing, so I hope you will bear with me. I have always felt connected with the spirit world, but for very long it was a very tenuous connection. It was not until I had the opportunity to travel to West Africa that I was able to feel a more direct connection with the spirits around me. I believe that that is at least in part because I was in a place where the people have long communicated directly with the spirit world, and so the spirits were in tune with that type of connection. I am wondering whether you feel a similar thing in ancient native American homelands, as compared to places where the old traditions have long been obliterated (a harsh word, perhaps, but sadly accurate).

I've talked a little bit about my spiritual experiences in Africa in the thread: The Spirits of Africa and more in the long description of my journey to my teacher Mamady Keita's village in the forum Journey Through Time and Space
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I live very close to the Navajo (Dine) people, and know most of their creation stories.

I particullary like the story of Changing Woman and her Twins.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

Padme wrote:I live very close to the Navajo (Dine) people, and know most of their creation stories.

Yes they are related to the Apache, both speaking the Athabascan language.
Pomthekie
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Hello again, Nenochtoo! I'm excited that you have started this thread. Animism places a very important role in my own spiritual path, though it is something that I have a difficult time discussing, so I hope you will bear with me. I have always felt connected with the spirit world, but for very long it was a very tenuous connection. It was not until I had the opportunity to travel to West Africa that I was able to feel a more direct connection with the spirits around me. I believe that that is at least in part because I was in a place where the people have long communicated directly with the spirit world, and so the spirits were in tune with that type of connection. I am wondering whether you feel a similar thing in ancient native American homelands, as compared to places where the old traditions have long been obliterated (a harsh word, perhaps, but sadly accurate).

I've talked a little bit about my spiritual experiences in Africa in the thread: The Spirits of Africa and more in the long description of my journey to my teacher Mamady Keita's village in the forum Journey Through Time and Space

A harsh enough world that can make a heart go bad at times. I really don't care what Spirtual Path one is on as long as that person does not attempt to force another upon that path. I've been on more radical forums where it is quite easy to get caught up in terrible squabbles over something that is suppose to make one feel good, unless the perfered diety is some bloodthirsty god of war, horror and evil.
Pomthekie
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Nenochtoo wrote:
Padme wrote:I live very close to the Navajo (Dine) people, and know most of their creation stories.

Yes they are related to the Apache, both speaking the Athabascan language.
And the Tlingit. We have a creation story about one 1/6 of our people going south, never to be seen again, which I'm told bears a striking resemblance to one of the Dine's creation stories, of coming down from the north, and we share many root words. We also have the same rituals of introduction.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Interesting! I was about to ask about the Athabascan language because I thought that was an Alaskan thing. I did not know that some of the people had migrated this far south.

I have a question, and I ask this respectfully. A long time ago I lurked in a discussion of Shintoism (Japanese animism). The discussion was taking place on an aikido forum and since aikido was founded by a Shinto priest and some vaguely Shinto practices crop up in the etiquette of the art, these discussions are not exactly rare. Anyway, they were talking about a Shinto temple that had opened up in western Washington, not far from where I grew up. The head priest is also part of the aikido community, which was another reason why it came up, but someone expressed doubt that Shinto practices would be at all effective in North America, mentioning that the spirits here wouldn't even understand Japanese. And I have wondered ever since then...do spirits speak a language or do they just understand your intention? Or is this something that's going to vary from belief system to belief system?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

Sorry I did not mean it like I didn't care, more like I don't mind what path one is on,,

Perhaps alot of are somewhat Animistic and don't even realize it. The very act of stubbing one's toe on an easy chair, then in a painful rage, kicking the chair with the un-injured foot like it was a living thing or calling your boat or car 'she' or 'her' as if there dwelt some spirit in an un-living object.

Most all primitive people are Animist and it has been said that all faiths evolved from Animism.
Pomthekie
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I didn't at all take it that you were saying that you didn't care about other's views, just that you had no objection to anyone else's spiritual path, unless they tried to compel you or anyone else to follow that path against their will. I certainly have no objections to that point of view (since I share it).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I didn't at all take it that you were saying that you didn't care about other's views, just that you had no objection to anyone else's spiritual path, unless they tried to compel you or anyone else to follow that path against their will. I certainly have no objections to that point of view (since I share it).
Good, because I suppose there are things in life most normal folk care not for, along with the things they just don't mind. :)
Pomthekie
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm interested in an answer to River's question, too, if anyone has one.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm willing to count "I don't know" as an answer, for that matter. I answer way too many questions that way to be prickly about it.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

River wrote:Interesting! I was about to ask about the Athabascan language because I thought that was an Alaskan thing. I did not know that some of the people had migrated this far south.

I have a question, and I ask this respectfully. A long time ago I lurked in a discussion of Shintoism (Japanese animism). The discussion was taking place on an aikido forum and since aikido was founded by a Shinto priest and some vaguely Shinto practices crop up in the etiquette of the art, these discussions are not exactly rare. Anyway, they were talking about a Shinto temple that had opened up in western Washington, not far from where I grew up. The head priest is also part of the aikido community, which was another reason why it came up, but someone expressed doubt that Shinto practices would be at all effective in North America, mentioning that the spirits here wouldn't even understand Japanese. And I have wondered ever since then...do spirits speak a language or do they just understand your intention? Or is this something that's going to vary from belief system to belief system?
I'll say I don't fully know, but plan to read up on it.

Unless one happens to be world a traveling, migratory sort, I supose like the majority of Animal life, including humans many Spirits are stationary or else roam in small territories. Being one of these creatures I feel and have some understanding of the Spirits that are near to me or exist in the places I know.

In my limited understanding of what Animism means or is, - Simply a belief in Souls and Spirits of living, non-living or those never to be born into a living creature. A personality to objects and geographical locations as well as weather or different times of day and season. Also I associate Spirits with strange phenomena.
Pomthekie