District 9

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

This is out on DVD, and I wondered if anyone would have a take on Peter Jackson's comment, which he makes in the extras, that this is a 'very funny film'. It didn't strike me that way at all, which made me wonder if I'd missed the spirit of the thing.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I certainly haven't heard anyone call it funny. In fact I'm a bit scared to watch it (though it's in my Netflix queue).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Funny?? :scratch: In what context did he say that? Surely he couldn't have meant it was an overall ha-ha funny movie.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

As I recall, he was talking about what interested him about the film, and he said he liked the idea of combining sci-fi with comedy, and that it was really a very funny film.

Maybe he just has an odd sense of humor, or because of his background in spoofy-type sci-fi (as I think I've heard tell), his thinking about those bled into his experience of this one. I mean, you can definitely imagine this one being spoofed the way they've done with 'Alien', and that certainly wasn't funny.

I don't think you need be scared of it, Prim, though it is extremely gripping and somewhat disturbing.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I will give it a try, then, Cerin. Thanks.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

We got it for Christmas but I haven't watched it yet, Oz watched it yesterday. I saw maybe 5 minutes of it.

Actually, on the case it says it's supposed to be funny at first, the stupid aliens, etc. The main human character, a guy with a moustache, makes fun of the whole thing? Can't say, haven't seen it.

Just went to a few D9 websites and the word "funny" appears quite often. I didn't know that PJ was involved in any way until yesterday. The reviews I read say that was a bad thing. :)
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

What the hell??? It kinda starts off light-hearted from what I recall but quickly becomes very serious and intense. What the hell......
Cerin wrote:I don't think you need be scared of it, Prim, though it is extremely gripping and somewhat disturbing.
And extremely violent, in a non-gratuitous way.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can probably handle that. It's violence we're supposed to laugh at, or that people do laugh at, that makes me queasy.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Oh, I forgot about the bloody aspect. I guess that was more cartoonish than the rest of the film (speaking about the effect of the alien weapons).* I think the violence is something different, having to do with the treatment of the aliens, and much more realistic. I don't think that was funny at all.

edit

*By that time good and bad have been clearly delineated, so the people, er, dispatched, have forfeited all sympathy.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I am like Yov on this..I am not sure what part of the movie is funny unless PJ means the very beginning.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I don't remember laughing at any point in the movie.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Watched it last night. It was okay. Not bad, as we say in Canada.
Dig deeper.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Or, as one of my wife's student clients memorably said of the dining hall: "It don't suck too bad." :D
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Avatar is being criticized for being cliche-ridden. Well, so is District 9. They both succeed in entertaining the viewer just the same.

There are a great many unasked and therefore unanswered questions in my head about this movie - about the story - that would be interesting to have answered. I had to jump over some very high hurdles in order to watch it.
Dig deeper.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I liked this movie. I really liked the way that it broke away from the clichés of the aliens coming to earth genre – it was great to see a setting outside New York or Washington D.C., and also great to see aliens that weren’t mindless monsters or ethereal superbeings. The heavy-handed message didn’t bother me all that much.
eborr

Post by eborr »

THe funny bit of it was in the characterisation, there were number of South African character types that were hilarious, really enjoyed this film more than most of the stuff I have seen in ages
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

eborr wrote:THe funny bit of it was in the characterisation, there were number of South African character types that were hilarious, really enjoyed this film more than most of the stuff I have seen in ages
Yes. But you have to know some South Africans to get that!
Dig deeper.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Which is better, District 9, or 9?

Or Nine?