History Channel and JRRT

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
sauronsfinger

History Channel and JRRT

Post by sauronsfinger »

Did anybody watch the History Channel show last night on Tolkien and Middle-earth? I missed it and would like to know if it is something I should search out.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Are you referring to this, sf?

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episode ... ion=detail

That's all I could find on the History.com website...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

yes Elen, thats it. In the States it was on last night--- according to TORN in their news section.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, according to the History Channel website above it's on in the States Satuday October 17 at 8 am...

That is the US website, isn't it? I mean, over here we have www.history.co.uk, and sadly that program is not scheduled for us yet...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

If it's the one we had here a couple of years ago, I wouldn't bother. It was a cut and paste job, with an actor standing around pretending to be JRRT. Absolutely nothing new in it, or indeed anything of interest that most of us haven't known for decades.
Last edited by vison on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dig deeper.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I have to agree with Vison here, if it's that it's worth missing.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sf, if you are still interested, I cross-referenced it through the TORn link and here is the full day's schedule for Oct 17th, EST:

http://www.history.com/schedule.do?acti ... meZone=EST

They are showing 3 episodes back-to-back from 8-10 am
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thanks Elen... happily I will be in Grand Rapids with my grandson the night before for the Fellowship concert from the symphony complete with film. We will be driving back that morning of the 17th. I guess its time to see if my aging VCR works although both Vison and Padme seem to feel its not worth it.

I greatly appreciate all the help and input.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Hey, I could be wrong, it could be a different one than the one I'm thinking of. It might be worth checking out. Can you tape it or something?
Dig deeper.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

sauronsfinger wrote:Thanks Elen... happily I will be in Grand Rapids with my grandson the night before for the Fellowship concert from the symphony complete with film.
Oh, how lovely. Am actually missing that show in NY - my back is dying with all my 500 miles driving, and THAT is the one weekend am not going home to NYC.

Yes, am an idiot. I suspect I might change my mind on Thu. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I moved this from the Cottage to Shibboleth, but I left a shadow.

Here is a blog post by Michael Drout, one of the Tolkien scholars that was interviewed for the episode, about it.

http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2009/10/hi ... rd-of.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Coincidentally, I've been listening to lectures on my iPod from another prof, Corey Olsen, who was quoted in the show. He mentioned the show in his podcast, but I have not seen the show itself.

http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/index.html
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus