Ken Burns "National Parks"

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
sauronsfinger

Ken Burns "National Parks"

Post by sauronsfinger »

Has anyone else been watching the excellent PBS series from Ken Burns "National Parks - America's Best Idea"? I visited three this summer - Yosemite, John Muir Redwoods, and Alcatraz and must say I find this series very inspiring in so many different ways.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ken Burns always does great work. I look forward to seeing this on DVD (I don't have broadcast television or cable).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The perils of scanning.

First reaction - someone burned a national park? :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:

Haven't seen the show, sounds very interesting.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I've been watching in bits and pieces. I'll look forward to the DVD series when it comes out, so I can see the whole thing. What I've watched has been very interesting!

(That story about the honeymooning couple traveling on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon was SAD, though!)
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

My whole summer and surgery was scheduled around national parks. First through the San Luis Valley of Colorado (a way to Denver I have never been before), across Wyoming and to lower Montana via Yellowstone, over to the Selway Bitterroot and up to lower Washington. I went to Yosimite when I was kid, it was a combined trip.

Anyway I have noticed the program but haven't watched much of it yet. If the world would slow down a bit I might be able to, but I will probably watch the DVD's.

I must say the Selway-Bitterroot range is amazing. I thought Colorado was amazing.

I want to go to the new skywalk thing at the Grand Canyon though, mostly to see it, but also because I know two of the planners/engineers that helped design the thing.

However I do believe my next trip will be one back east, most likely in November to see my son, who is just a stone's throw away from the Smokey's.

Oh I have also found that if one wants to see really amazing things one has to go off the beaten path and know some locals who know where to go. I had that in the Selway-Bitterroot area, my friend Charity lives in that part of the world and knows all the secret dirt roads. And you get to see wildlife not normally seen on the main roads.

And it's all good fun driving up there before getting cut on, the drive back I was on interstates the whole time and could care less. I just wanted to be home, surgery will do that I guess. Now if I could just figure out how the doctor and hospital were in my insurance system plan.... :scratch:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

You might be heading toward the Smoky Mountains? What part? North Carolina? * wish, wish *