Share Your Thoughts About AR (for the Average Tolkien Fan)

A forum for discussion of Voronwë's book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Mae govannen, Andy! :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We're glad you're here, too, Andy! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

(I can't post in the appropriate forum apparently, so I'm posting here.)

I'm back to reading; I said it was taking me a long time, because I'm rereading the Sil along with AR. And I have to be in the right mood to read the Sil.

One thing that struck me was that you were very even-handed, Voronwë. Your positive comments regarding Christopher's choices were as easily given as your criticisms.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Interesting that you say that, Lali. Most people only seem to notice the criticisms.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'd say that's human nature, when any criticism is offered of something we greatly value. We don't necessarily even notice positive comments, because we are so eager to dispute the negative ones (or at least to find out more about the reasons for them).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So, last night, I plowed through chapter XIV, Of Beleriand and Its Realms. This was in the Sil, and then I read the corresponding chapter in AR. And I had to laugh at your last sentence, Voronwë! :rofl: (The part where you say that even Tolkien said a reader could skip this chapter!)
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, well, ahem. Not exactly the most exciting chapter, is it Lali?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's Tolkien's "begats."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D

Well, it's definitely not the chapter to read at 12:45am. I'll just say that.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I just wanted to let you know that I finished it last night. :) It took me a lot longer than I thought it would, mostly because I opted to read the Sil alongside of AR. And I have to be in the right mood to read the Sil.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to write this book, Voronwë. I learned so much!

I will be reading Morgoth's Ring next, since I want to read the Athrabeth for myself.
Voronwë the Faithful

Wow, that's perserverence! I'm glad that you appreciated the book, Lali!

Once you have had a chance to read the Athrabeth for yourself, please go to the Athrabeth thread in the Shibboleth forum, and post your thoughts there!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I will! :)