Les Paul

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
eborr

Les Paul

Post by eborr »

I just want to take a moment to think of Les Paul, he lead a long and full life and made the world a better place. Although his music was not my cup of tea, I realise he gave pleasure to millions, and having seen him in a television documentary recently he struck me as a humble man.

And then there was the guitar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... -Paul.html
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, eborr. We should definitely have a thread memorializing Les Paul. He literally revolutionized music. How many people can we say that bout regarding anything?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

He also kept performing, which he loved, until very close to his death--at 94. Good for him.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, indeed. I had always thought of him as the father of the electric guitar, but he was a very talented musician in his own right. Plus, his work with multi-tracking was fully as transforming as his work with the electric guitar.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

axordil wrote:He also kept performing, which he loved, until very close to his death--at 94. Good for him.
He continued to perform in Manhattan every week (in fact, the listing for the Les Paul trio every Monday at the Iridium Jazz club is still online on the NY.Com Jazz site, though the club's own site has a tribute) and my brother and I had talked many times of going to see him--I think my brother had taken my nephew (who plays guitar) there when on vacation.

He will be missed. I have to admit that I don't know as much of his music personally as I could, but I am aware of his influence.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

He was Steve Miller's godfather. I think that's cool.
Dig deeper.