Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Teremia, I'm just grinning from ear to ear at the thought that I might have been helpful! See? :D

Take care. And thanks, everyone, for your good wishes and prayers.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, WampusCat, if you're grinning, you should have seen me when I tracked down your reference! Tears of joy and relief! (Of course, the doc and the blood tests have to agree, but it just seems spot on for her symptoms; I'm really pretty sure this is it.) It was only once I had that pernio (the Disease-Formerly-Known-As-Chilblains) article in front of me that I could feel how weighed down by dread I had been the last few days -- I could feel the cloud shifting. OK, I'm tearing up again. :)

Raynaud's was what the doctor had mentioned, and then once you start looking in that direction you find yourself in the midst of such scary autoimmune stuff.... I thought I was being very cool about it, very good about "not worrying until the results are in and we know what to worry about" -- but in fact I was just plain terrified.

Today is my day to benefit from the kindness of -- well, not exactly entirely "strangers" -- more like the people around me in my various worlds! When I was on my way to lunch with my very depressed friend, I got to the toll booth and the woman waved me through: "the car ahead of you paid for you!" When does that ever happen? And then WampusCat showed me the light at the end of this other tunnel.

I am just so grateful right now. :grouphug:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Teremia, you can't imagine how much it means to me right now to have lifted the dread from someone else! I was just telling Mr. W. this morning that one of the worst things about cancer is that whenever the least little thing seems to be wrong, all the dread and fear come crashing back down on you (even if you know you shouldn't worry until you know you have something to worry about).

And the toll booth angel! What exquisite timing!

:D :hug:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

(You and Mr. WampusCat are very much in my thoughts. Hoping the clouds melt away! :hug:)
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Life seems to enjoy being difficult for me. Lots of times recently I've felt like just not caring. I need to get past that type of mentality, and focus on all the things I need to do :).

I can use all the help I can get :).
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Hang in there, hal! Can you find something you WANT to do, to balance all the things you NEED to do?

Sometimes I put things that I know will make me feel better on my [depressingly long] to-do list (for instance, "take a walk" right there with "write that recommendation letter for so-and-so"). It's satisfying to check things off!

Hope the color comes back into your world soon!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hal, I don't know if this helps, but it's not just you. Life has a way of being like that. And it's all too easy to focus on the negative. Believe me, I know! And I also know that you don't need me to tell you that it isn't productive to do so. But sometimes it is helpful to be reminded of things that you already know. Remember that you have a lot going for you and focus on all the good things that you are going to accomplish, and you will be okay.

:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

hal wrote:Life seems to enjoy being difficult for me. Lots of times recently I've felt like just not caring. I need to get past that type of mentality, and focus on all the things I need to do
Seems to me you should focus on finding a way to want to do the things you think you need to do. Attitude is everything. It's incredibly hard to make yourself do something you don't care about. You have to want it bad enough, first... especially if it's something difficult.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I care about you, hal, so I hope you find a way to keep caring. :hug:

Sometimes when I feel like that, I deliberately seek out something truly beautiful -- usually it only takes looking at the sky -- and it takes me out of my apathy into awe. I might not care about whatever it is I have to do, but that scarlet-streaked cloud ... how could I not care about that? :)

Sorry if that seems simplistic, but it really does work for me.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Just wanted to share with you the :)good news:) that WampusCat was absolutely RIGHT about my kid; all the tests for scary things have come back negative; the cure is time, warmer weather and wool socks!! I feel so very lucky and grateful and blessed. :hug:

Good results are not a zero sum game -- I hope all of you waiting for such things get good answers, too.

And may the sun come out again for all those for whom life has gone a bit grey! Please keep my despairing friend in mind -- he's still struggling.

And hal, I'm thinking of you.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:banana: Hurray! :banana:

I'm so glad to hear that, Teremia. :)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

w00t Teremia! :banana:

hal, I also feel that life pretty often sucks. But then I remember that's just my current feeling, and I then look around, much like Wampus, and I see all the beautiful things out there and it's kind of ok.
Doesn't make much sense, I'm afraid, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one to feel like that. :) Hope it gets better for you soon! :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

truehobbit, those flowers on your balcony hold enough beauty to keep anyone going! Absolutely stunning.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks, Wampus! :kiss: :D

The crocuses are almost over by now, but the violets are out now and smelling heavenly! :love:

In fact, now that I'm reminded of my sig, I noticed that I chose the text I have at the moment for exactly the feeling I was talking about. Tolkien here points out that, Elves or no Elves, life isn't fair and that's just the way it is. Some get more than they should and some get nothing. And I love how self-evidently and resignedly he mentions this. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'm happy for you too, Teremia.

Unfortunately, I was hit with more bad stuff today... I've been very dissatisfied with my job for several months... mostly because they give me nothign to do (I know, really rough). I am part of no team, and all the work they give me is WAY beneath my qualifications.

Today I had my yearly performance evaluation. Of course, since I've had nothing to do, and I basically got screwed out of the one leadership position I might have had last year, I'm sticking right where I've been since I started at the company 2 and a half years ago.

It's very very frustrating, and I learned it might be 3 to 6 more MONTHS before they have real work for me to do... I don't honestly know how I will not go insane in that amount of time from having nothing to do. And of course, it would write off any advancement next year too...

I'm just very disappointed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm sorry, Hal. Is there any possibility of looking for another position?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I have been... I'm stuck in that insidious catch-22 of being labeled a junior engineer qualified and looking for senior level work... I'm wasted on junior level stuff, and the people hiring the senior level stuff can't look past my junior level label... and I can't get promoted, because I can't get senior level work... because I can't get any work... I know it sounds silly to complain about getting paid to basically do nothing, but it's far more frustrating than I can possibly describe...
Voronwë the Faithful

Hal, I thought you were starting your own business? Did those plans fall through, or is that something on the side from your regular job?

And no, that doesn't sound silly at all. There is nothing more frustrating then not being able to be productive.

But you know, doors have a way opening for people when they least expect it. Don't lose faith; something good will happen soon, particularly if you stay open to it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Yes, i'm starting a business, which is it's own whole set of stresses ;). I'm not quitting my job, though, as it is needed to help pay to start the business...
Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, okay. Good luck!