Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

What Wampus and Rowan said! :hug:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

We finally got the results back on Mr. WampusCat's scan, and it's not the all-clear we were hoping for. They want him to go back for another CT scan to check out some enlarged lymph nodes they found.

Could be a false alarm. Could be a sign of metastasis.

New scan is Tuesday, so the waiting and worrying continue...

:(

Prayers and well-wishes much appreciated, for both of us.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Heading out for a walk now with the Wampus family on my mind and in my heart -- I'll be holding you both in the light. So hard to live in such unknowing! :hug:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Definitely prayers from here, WampusKitty. :hug: But there is so much that can enlarge a lymph node that is entirely harmless. I'm sure they're just being cautious, as they must.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Wampus... I am so, so, sorry that your family needs to face MORE stress. It would have been so nice to have had a completely clear scan for Mr. Wampus... fear, and waiting, are so draining. I would have wished a respite for you. You deserve it.

All my loudest prayers are going up for you and Mr. Wampus. May God wrap you in his comforting arms during this time of stress and worry.

NL... you know how I feel about you, sweetie, and you know that I have shared my own past with you... I have walked where you are walking. Even though no one can feel exactly what you are feeling, I have such empathy for where you are... it was not a fun place to be.

Just know that so many people adore you, just you, just for BEING you. You are a complete person, completely wonderful, by the way, every moment of every day. You couldn't be any more wonderful. That would be impossible.

Nin, I am so glad to pray for you... my empathy for your plight, hopefully, can reach across the miles. Your pain is so obvious, and his is, as well... it is simply a painful time.

May your tomorrow be better, and the tomorrow after that, until you can wake up one day and know that this time of transition and sadness is mostly behind you.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm thinking and praying for all the wonderful people who are faced with sadness and uncertainty.

WampusKitty, I really hope that the Tuesday scan comes up clean.

NL, Nin, different as you are, you are two women worthy of the sterlingest sort of love. I hope and pray that you find yourself surrounded by love, soon.

:grouphug:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Thank you, Teremia, Prim, Anthy and Frelga. We feel upheld by your prayers.

:hug:
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I am not big into prayer these days, but I also believe it is often the right thing to do regardless of my inadequacies.
So with that in mind, I have a couple of friends in need.
One has medical issues, and one is basically struggling with life and dealing with me.
So if you wouldn't mind putting these people in your prayers, I would appreciate it. :)
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, gosh, here I am now, too. We took my oldest daughter to the doctor today because most of her toes have turned a nasty purpleish color (she's 13, so I don't so often SEE her toes, but this was shocking). Doctor was flummoxed, ordered a ton of tests, hinted at autoimmune diseases -- when I googled the words she had dropped, my heart fell to the floor.

(This on the same day I learned a very old friend is suicidal -- had a long talk with him -- got scared -- am going down for lunch tomorrow.)

Help.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Goodness! :shock: How scary! I hope everything turns out okay. :hug:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Holby, count on it. I'll pray for your friends and you, too (I have been anyway . . .).

Teremia, any help prayers can give is yours, for you and your daughter and your family and your friend. I am sure your doctor will get to the bottom of what's going on with your daughter.

I spent most of last year editing some online resources for doctors that covered more than a hundred reasonably common disorders, with long lists of symptoms, and what struck me was how often the same symptom was given as a sign of a dozen or more disorders from major to trivial. One symptom is like the first digit of your phone number. It's part of the picture, but it could be part of many different pictures.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hugs, prayers and good thoughts for Nin, nl, WampusKitty and family, Holby and his friends, and Teremia, her daughter and her friend. And everyone else, too.

:grouphug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Wampuscat, Holby, and Teremia, I hope that all will turn out well for you and your families/friends. I'm not the praying kind, but wish you all the strength and comfort that you need. :grouphug:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Teremia, how scary! :hug: You have all the prayers and good thoughts I can muster. Please let us know what the doctors figure out. I do hope everything turns out well.

Holby, I'll be thinking about your friends.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Teremia, I was intrigued enough to do a quick google search of my own on purple toes. Apparently there was an article in the New York Times Sunday Magazine on February 27, 2005, by Dr. Lisa Sanders about a teen with purple toes. I didn't pay to call up the entire article, but here's how it starts:
A ''13-year-old with swollen toes'' read the hasty scrawl on the chart outside the exam-room door. The pediatrician glanced through it quickly, knocked and then entered the room. The patient sat with her head resting on her mother's shoulder. Tall and slender, she had the look of an athlete. Her face was tan, but her eyes looked heavy and tired. She wore a red U.S.C. sweatshirt and soft flannel pants -- appropriate enough given the cool Northern California winter. But on her feet, flimsy sandals revealed her bloated, purple toes.

''Whoa,'' the doctor exclaimed. ''What's with the toes?'' He pulled up a chair and gave her feet a good, hard look. ''That looks like frostbite. Where have you been?'' Nowhere, they assured him. The family went skiing two weeks earlier, but this problem started only a few days ago.

At first, her toes were just sore and slightly swollen, the patient explained. ''I play a lot of soccer, and I've injured my toes before, so I wasn't that worried.'' But the day before, when she removed her shoes after volleyball practice, they were purple. This morning they were so tender she couldn't even put on her sneakers.
Maybe worth checking out.

And of course you have my prayers.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Teremia, it does sound scaring. Thinking of you.

And thank to you all, for your kind thoughts and/or prayers. It helps to believe in the future.

Holby..... :hug:
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wampus, so sorry to hear about the renewed worries! :( :hug:

And Teremia, it does sound weird and scary, I understand being troubled. :hug:

:hug: everybody!
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

WampusCat, I think you found it!!!

I found my way to an article in the journal Pediatrics on "pernio," and it looks EXACTLY like what we're dealing with. Oh my goodness, I'm grateful to you. My kid completely fits that profile. Thank you, thank you!

"Article on pernio, only for the very curious -- photo could have come from our house!"

My husband scolded me for sharing too much info on-line, but then went ahead and phoned the doctor with the reference and the suggestion. :D
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Wow, Teremia, what a scary day it has been for you!

I've never heard of pernio before, but when I read the description of your daughter's condition, I did think of an infection, an autoimmune disease or Raynaud's.

They will probably do the ANA's on her, which, if negative, lead away from the diagnosis of autoimmune problems... and away from that is where you want to be. :shock:

I almost think that Raynaud's is unusual in kids, but I can't quite remember. She might be right on the cusp of that age group, though.. somewhere around 15, 17, something like that, is when it first shows up? Something like that? I can't recall a common laboratory test to rule out Raynaud's... I think it's more often diagnosed by observation of the clinician.

They will probably rule out infection, too... that's what all the case studies that were presented did, when they reported normal CBC's. They were probably looking for an increased white count, which would indicate infection.

Pernio sure sounds like a good thing for the doctor to consider as a cause! I'm so glad Wampus found it... yeah for Miss Wampus, and her googling acumen!

:horse:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Pernio = chilblains.

The medical world is on a crusade to give every familiar disease or condition an insanely unfamiliar name.