The Whistler Gallery

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Whistler wrote: Holby:
It's "we" philistines.
So you admit to being a philistinian. :P

Some day I'll buy a Whistler. I may even contract you to do a portrait or something if you are willing.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

A portrait of you?

I imagine something in the style of Picasso, with weird and distorted features.

Oh, wait—
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

In response to overwhelming indifference, I am now offering COFFEE MUGS on my website! Click on the "purchase" link.

If you'd rather buy a painting, that's okay too.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'd rather buy four paintings. Will you sponsor a new wing for my house?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

You want paintings?

I'm sort of disappointed. Those are great mugs.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's very difficult, keeping these nineteenth-century aesthetes happy.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I've added a so-so public domain recording of the Promenade theme from Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition. It's on the Gallery page, and it should open in a second window so you can listen as you browse the pictures.

I couldn't make the darn thing loop, so I pasted four recordings together and the playback stops after that. I don't think anybody will want to hear it five times, anyway.

I'm a bit intimidated by the whole multimedia concept, so if anybody can look in and see if it works for you (not all browsers work the same, as you know) that would be a help. There's also a recording of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag on the Porpourri page.

A while back I purchased the entire Jay Ward sound library (the Jay Ward Studios created Rocky & Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle, etc.) and I'm resisting the temptation to have everything go POP! or BOING! or OOOGAH!

Don't worry, I won't do it. Since half the world does its surfing while on the job, it's a serious offense to blow a visitor's cover by making a noise he isn't expecting.

Might be entertaining, though.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It works, but it doesn't start playing automatically. I have to download the file, which takes several minutes.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Hm...odd. I'm sure it comes down to having to embed the file. I've tried that, but the playback is distorted.

I shall consult my web guru on the matter. I am taking him out tonight for a steak dinner. That should do the trick.

Not that it matters. If people want to hear music as they surf, they're probably playing their own. I'll shut down the audio until I can get it right.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh, nooooo! :(

Came seeking the link to Whistler's website and his signature, in which the link was given, has gone!

I thought I had bookmarked it but I can't find the bookmark either.

Please help!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you :)

Hal sent it to me in a pm, too.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.