Amy Winehouse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

Amy Winehouse

Post by vison »

For some time I have been seeing Amy Winehouse's name in the papers, and reading the sad stories of her self-destructive behavior. But then, I actually heard her singing. :shock: The kids had some music station on TV and there she was and I was blown away.

What a voice!!!! I would like to buy a CD but don't know which one to start with. Any suggestions?
Dig deeper.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Personally I'd say "Back to Black" but others might disagree.

I love the stripped down simplicity of this versio of the title song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah33Up5NTB4
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

A lot of great voices have been attached to self-destructive personalities over the last...well, I suspect always. You put that much of yourself out there, you run a risk, especially if you didn't start off well-centered.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I first heard Amy Winehouse on the radio. I didn't know it was the same skinny chick I'd been seeing in the news. I really wish she could get her personal life straightened out so she could just keep right on singing for us.

Fiona Apple's like that too. Tiny little person, enormous voice. Don't know where it comes from. Her voice is bigger than she is.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I have Back To Black, an excellent album that I enjoy very much. Given all of the hype I doubt I ever would have given her a chance (being generally averse to hype), but they started playing some of her songs on the college radio station we listen to at work and I really liked it.

It really is a shame that she has fallen as low as she has. I suppose it is true that any great artist runs that risk, but she is so far gone it's hard to see how she could ever come back.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Well, Joe Cocker did. A little, anyway.

She has the most amazing voice, though. I mean, where does a skinny little English girl get a voice like that?

Another teeny weeny little girl with a big voice is Celine Dion. Now, please, don't get me wrong, I think she sings the absolute worst crap in the world, but that voice could have been dedicated to great music. The voice is there. She just wastes it.

But then again, she seems to have a stable life and maybe that's the tradeoff?
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't know. There are artists and singers out there who do amazing work and still have stable lives. My curmudgeonly view from outside is that, yes, success brings stress, the pressure to create brings stress; but some people seem to use this fact as an excuse to indulge themselves beyond reason in every other area of life.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't think it's that simple. I certainly don't think that great art and destructive behavior have to go hand in hand, by any means, but I'm not prepared to just reject the connection out of hand, either. From Virginia Wolff to Amy Winehouse, there are too many examples to disregard completely.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Perhaps so. I can see that being able to ignore inhibitions would be a help to an artist, but not necessarily beneficial in other areas of life.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The trouble is, like say with Elvis Presley as the best/worst example, you take a person who is otherwise perfectly ordinary, nothing out of the usual, just this one thing, and then you make him King of the World. I don't think many kids like Elvis or Amy Winehouse can handle that.

Added to that, in the case of superstars (Keith Richards springs to mind), the guys running the record companies would literally do anything to keep the goose laying those golden eggs. No matter what, pretty much.

I don't know if Amy Winehouse has been given license or help. I know almost nothing about her, poor girl.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Neither do I; it looks like a sad story, though, from the pictures I see on the supermarket-checkout-line magazine covers.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

From what I can gather, it starts with addiction and you can fill in the blanks. Legal troubles, medical troubles, erratic behavior, etc. She married something of a wastrel, which doesn't help. At one point her father asked the public to boycott her work until she got help. She was in rehab. She's out now. Not sure it took.

Sad thing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

This generation's Janis Joplin (who also was a tiny chick with a helluva voice)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Funny, I never made that connection, but you are quite right.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."