The Whistler Gallery

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I like the "Ostrich lady" pic and didn't find it disturbing at all.
Her body language suggests something more along the lines of reflectiveness or matter of factness to me.

Either that or she is biting her toenails. :P
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think that must be it.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I meant to say earlier that I am particularly enamored of your abstract artwork, Whistler.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Me too. :) I had developed the obviously wrong impression from past conversations that you didn't much care for abstract so a very pleasant surprise to find that not only are you not opposed but you're pretty darn good at makin' 'em!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Many thanks, both of you! I appreciate any and all observations, provided they translate into compliments.

As you can see, I'm trying almost every style. I'm putting out new items almost daily, so please check in often!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's virtually impossible to keep up with you!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Virtually"? :shock:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Be sure to read the story attached to "The Mysterious Woman."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

*sighs with fond reminiscence*

I love making up stories about pictures, Whistler. And I love reading stories about pictures, too.

It's nice to see you lurking about. Adds a certain tone to the place. :D
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Lurking is about all I can do these days.

I work ten hour days, then come home to tend to my father, who is in the last stages of Alzheimer's.

Only after all that do I get a chance to paint. Still, I'm making good progress: almost everything in the gallery was created in the last 18 months. That's 155 pictures so far, with dozens yet to be posted.

I'm not sure how that's possible.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

You know you really are storing up stars for your Heavenly crown, and I am not making fun, I'm being sincere. You are a good son. Your Dad must have been a good Dad to have a son like you.
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

It's my mom who's the angel. She's 83 and has tended to him (he had encephalitis previously) since 1980. And the whole time both of them have been in my house, worrying if they're being a burden––which they are not.

She has never considered putting him in any sort of institution. People who lived through the Depression, and then through World War II, have a totally different mindset about life: They see their duty, they do it, and they don't whine. They don't think the universe owes them anything.

They have been called the Greatest Generation for a reason. I hope to create a picture with that theme, when I can get a good idea for it.
Voronwë the Faithful

It's worth waiting to truly do it justice.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

That's me ma, too. They don't make them like that any more.
Dig deeper.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I believe that they still make 'em like that - but environment is what shapes us and humanity apparently hasn't done a real good job with manipulating its environment the past couple generations.

I like Duck a l'Orange. In part because it reminds me of Michael Bedard's Sitting Ducks.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Were they turtles? That's the thing, Whistler. I don't know if I don't believe they weren't turtles.

:D
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Who mentioned turtles?

I just bought some art, myself. My sister called and said that a friend of hers had been walking down the street and had noticed a piece of Disney art, stamped with the Disney seal, double-matted and framed...in someone's garbage!

He brought it to her, and she called me immediately to see what I thought. I made an offer at once, and he accepted.

It's a picture of Goofy dressed in golfing attire and carrying a golf bag. I won't keep it for myself: I'm giving it to a cousin who loves Disney and golf.

Imagine somebody throwing out art! The fool could at least have given it to a stranger. There's nothing worse than somebody who can afford fine things, but has no appreciation for what he has.
Voronwë the Faithful

My eyes automatically changed "in someone's garbage" to "in someone's garage." I literally could not believe my own eyes that someone would throw something like that away.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Probably the guy had no clue what he had, don't you think? I mean the guy who threw it out. He probably thought it was just some cheap print from a Disney store. I confess I would have. Actually, I wouldn't have looked at it in the first place.

People who collect Disney know this stuff, but most of us don't.
Dig deeper.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I'm sure it was the wife that threw it out.
No guy would ever get rid of a Goofy golf pic. ;)