The Whistler Gallery

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Whistler

The Whistler Gallery

Post by Whistler »

Hello, all!

You have probably noticed that you haven't noticed me in a while.

I have been organizing my online gallery, which is now open. The url for the gallery is here:

www.zibbet.com

The url for my personal gallery within the gallery is here:

www.zibbet.com/vanfuller

I had to use my real name because it seems there was another artist named Whistler. Who knew?

Anyway, almost everything in my gallery (105 pieces, at this writing) was created over the past year. This is what bipolar disorder can do for you, if you use it for good instead of evil. New items will be added regularly.

Do drop by, and present your invitation at the door.

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I am so glad to see you!!!

Will check out the pix later. :D
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow, wow, and wow!

But then, you knew that already. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Congratulations, Whistler :cheerleader:

Your pictures are strikingly beautiful - my particular fave is Aegean Nocturne :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Wow. I wish I had some money. You would be richer and I would be poorer.
Dig deeper.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:shock:

:bow:

Wow. Honored to know you, in whatever shape, form, and interaction. Incredible. Wish I had some money!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Very nice. 8) I would put almost any of your abstract pieces on my wall.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I just saw this and had to add to the pile o' praise. You rock, Whistler. :bow:
(Is there a convenient way to view them all large? I had to keep clicking on one, zooming it, closing that, going back...)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Not yet, yov. But this is the beta version of the website, and improvements are still being made.

I appreciate your visit and your praise, especially as I know that you tend to be on the picky side!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Picky I iz! :D And I still have the probably-unfounded bias against that looks "too" digital. But there's lots of gorgeous stuff there. I'm particularly drawn to some of the more abstract ones (as is often the case).
Question: Since these are digital, why are there sizes listed? Can't it be printed in any size the resolution supports?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Yes, the sizes can vary quite a bit. The sizes listed are the original sizes, which are the ones I think show each piece to its best advantage.

Read the Shop Policies; I think I discuss that there. It's written as another of my bogus "interviews."
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh, I didn't see that. Classic Whistler!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Whistler, I've been taking my time going through the gallery, pausing to appreciate each work of art. What a wonderful collection! The descriptions are witty, informative and apt -- the best I've ever read of artwork and worth display themselves.

I started listing favorites, in case I suddenly found myself with bare walls and spare money, but finally realized I'd have to build a new wing for my house just for the walls. What I listed before reaching this conclusion: Uptown after Hours, Rite of Spring, Pixie Quilt and Aegean Nocturn. And of course I am still entranced with Lux Aeterna.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

There are several more pieces up now, and more being added almost daily, so check in from time to time.

And thanks to all who've paid a call.
Voronwë the Faithful

There is a link to the gallery on HoF's front page, for any whoever visit there.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

There are naked ladies there, if that sort of thing interests anybody.
Voronwë the Faithful

Very beautiful, Whistler. I'm intrigued that the nudes range from very realistic to very abstract. I like both extremes, and those in between. I like the Velvet Ostrich, even though it is quite a disturbing image.

And so many other ones (not just the nudes!).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Very beautiful, Whistler. I'm intrigued that the nudes range from very realistic to very abstract. I like both extremes, and those in between. I like the Velvet Ostrich, even though it is quite a disturbing image.

And so many other ones (not just the nudes!).
No, you were just there for the articles. :P

Whistler, very impressive paintings in that gallery. I've always said that the best abstract art comes from artists who can actually produce realistic drawings when they want to.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Whistler iz gud. :bow:

I thought about trying to sell the couple male nudes I've done just to see how that would go. But, the more I thought about it the more I thought about it the more self-conscious I got about it. Plus I wouldn't really know how to go about selling a couple drawings.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

V-Man:

You find the ostrich lady disturbing? That wasn't my intention, but I'm pleased that people read the pictures differently. Good art should inspire discussion and debate.

Frelga:

Contrary to popular opinion, good abstracts are difficult to create and, like more traditional styles, have their roots in physical reality. People are always stunned to find, for example, that Picasso could produce near-photorealism when he had to.

Many thanks for looking in. I have always valued your insights.

Yov:

Don't be intimidated. The site is easy to manage and you have nothing to lose.

Male nudes are always more controversial for obvious anatomical reasons, but if they are tasteful they should be welcome.

I have a few male nudes, but they don't interest me. The male form is more sculptural in nature; the female form is more linear, and that's more suited to my style since I'm mainly a cartoonist.

Anyway, go ahead and give it a try. It's free, for heaven's sake!