Cast Speculation

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Apparently, James McAvoy has stated that he is not going to be in The Hobbit.

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/n ... 186/tcid/1
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Turning back to the discussion about Hobbit ages, I thought of one example that supports solictr's position. In the LOTR it is said that Lobelia was 100 years old when she finally got a hold of Bag End, and she had to wait 77 years longer than she had expected. But she was already married to Otho at the time when Bilbo unexpectedly reappeared, twarting the S-B's. So she had to have been married by the time she was 23 or so, and perhaps earlier. While it is true that most Hobbit women married in their 30s, this would suggest that at least some matured as early as humans.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Good point, Vor.

I would also raise Merry and Pippin (and Fatty Bolger, for that matter): they all appear to be free agents, coming and going as they please without, apparently, much of a parental leash.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Possibly they have different ages of majority for different reasons, as we do for driving, voting, drinking? Or perhaps Bilbo waited for the latest possible milestone at which Frodo was considered an adult, so as to give more validity to Frodo's taking possession of Back End?

Interesting, too, that Tolkien says that Lobelia was "never popular in her life" and yet she married at a fairly young age for a hobbit. (Clearly, it is completely normal that Frodo isn't married at 33). I wonder what happened? A shotgun wedding, you think? Maybe that explains her bitterness?

Speculation... 8)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Good theory, Frelga, except for the fact that Lotho wasn't born for another twenty-plus years after Otho and Lobelia were married (and he was there only child).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

There can be a scandal without a baby.

But no, I don't think that's how Tolkien would have thought. Perhaps it was a semi-arranged marriage.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Maybe she had to give up the first baby to cover the shame of giving birth so soon after the wedding. :whistle: Maybe THAT'S why she's so bitter?

Now I need to go look in appendices for any hobbit who was born at a suitable date to be Lobelia's illicit offspring. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Lobelia is really the mother of

Post by ArathornJax »

Frodo's mother who was born in 2918 because they recorded Lobelia's birth year down wrong to cover up this sin. If Lobelia was born in 2900 she would have been 18 when Primula was born (and it was with Gorbadoc Brandybuck and thus the hush hush nature of the entire event). This explains her hatred of the Brandybucks since Gorbadoc would not leave his wife and marry her. Thus Lobelia is really Frodo's grandmother . . .

I think I heard the professor rolling in his grave.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I think this would make a wonderful internet rumor.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm all for it. Can we tie it in to Drogo and Primula's mysterious "boating accident"?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I think we have discovered the plot of Film 2!
Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:While it is true that most Hobbit women married in their 30s, this would suggest that at least some matured as early as humans.
Again it all goes bust at the evidence of Hobbit women cheerfully giving births in their 60s-70s.
While Human girls can wed and become mothers at 14-16 in rural communities, and that's an equivalent of Hobbit's early twenties. And so Lobelia's early marriage can be explained easily via this comparison, as sexual maturity comes few years earlier than legal community in Human societies as well (let's not forget Barmizva/Batmizva at 13!)
But there's absolutely no comparison/explanation for routine bearing of children in someone's 60s. :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

A possibility for Bilbo?

Toby Jones has recently come to prominence in Capote, Infamous, W and now Frost/Nixon. I was watching an interview with Jonathon Ross and all I could see was Bilbo Baggins. He's also a believable "young" Ian Holm.

Here's a pic:

and an interview after Capote where you can hear him out of character.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUx5YmfXSc
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Certainly a possibility. And GdT made it clear that he felt that Bilbo needed to be cast first (other than Gandalf and Gollum, who are already set in stone), so that the proper relationship with the other characters, primarily Thorin, could be set. Still, we won't likely here anything about casting for some months, until the screenplays are finished.
kams

Post by kams »

Alatar wrote:A possibility for Bilbo?

Toby Jones has recently come to prominence in Capote, Infamous, W and now Frost/Nixon. I was watching an interview with Jonathon Ross and all I could see was Bilbo Baggins. He's also a believable "young" Ian Holm.

Here's a pic:

and an interview after Capote where you can hear him out of character.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUx5YmfXSc
The pic did not come out, but the YouTube link worked.

What a face! He would be a most memorable Bilbo Baggins. I like him already.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

He looks more like my idea of Sam. Ian Holm had that style of acting that just spoke Bilbo. It was present even in the 5th Element.
I haven't seen Toby act, so I can't judge.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

V, I know we won't hear about casting for a while. Thats why its called speculation ;)

Still, we do know that one name came up that both Del Toro and Jackson both liked, so it has to be a reasonably well known actor, known to both of them. Martin Freeman and James McAvoy were obvious suggestions, but I wonder if Toby Jones isn't more likely.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I like the Toby Jones possibility better than either of the other two.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Stephen Graham would make a terrific Bilbo. Right age - right look - great actor.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I don't know Stephen Graham, but I could definitely see Toby Jones as Bilbo. Actually, there's something similar to Alan Lee's portrayal of Bilbo in him; just take a look at some of these illustrations.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu