The 2008 Presidential Campaign: Part Three

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Erunáme wrote:
ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:So is the only way for an American to avoid hating America is to never criticise it?
To some people and in some parts of the country, yes. It's really sad. I hear this from other American Expats. If they mention anything negative about America or gush a little bit about the UK, their American family retorts back hating America type statements.
halplm wrote:No, it's actually curiosity as to why he would hide his past, and lie about it.

not two things I want in a president.
I don't understand how you can say that and think Palin is great.
And I still don't understand how you equate the two. What has Palin hidden about her past?

And it's really quite irrelevant in discussing Obama.

As for Tosh's statement, critisizing America is fine. Actively seeking hatred of it to promote a racial agenda is not.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

This thread is well past 2000 posts, so I'm locking it.

New thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1918
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Bump for placement
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."